Garage Squad TV show—need feedback

starfireelvis

Have a friend who wanted me to look into having a vehicle submitted for restoration on this “Garage Squad” television show.   

Generally speaking, with maybe an exception or two, I have sadly found almost all “car shows” on television, and in particular, the ones that have to do with “restorations” of older vehicles, are, well, horrible.  And that’s putting it mildly. 

Not to be snobby, but the sophomoric fake drama (or even if it’s “real”, same difference, as the saying goes) of almost every one of these soap operas on four wheels is a real turn-off to a budding geezer as I am.  And, almost always, to a purist like me (and I would imagine, most others here), a painful exercise in seeing a vehicle resto-modded into something it never was intended to be, rather than a faithful stock restoration of a car back to its former glory. 

My friend would want restoration to be 100% correct and to original specs.   Would the people on this show entertain that, or do they have to go the Coddington/Foose route of leaving their shameless imprimatur on their project, regardless of the desires of the owner?

And, what other terms or conditions would be required (the cynic in me would call those “catches”)?   I understand that some sort of “story behind the car” regarding the “why I need your help” has to be submitted, preferably one that tugs at the heartstrings, something along the lines of a car Dad owner but never had the chance to finish, or for a veteran who no longer is able to complete the job, etc.

Yes, I’ve googled, and done some research already.  But before I have to sit down and watch several episodes to get a feel for what’s going on, I’d appreciate any feedback about this “Garage Squad” program—particularly if I’d be in for viewing something that would make my blood boil.

Thanks in advance for any information provided...

Almost every show has a mook who is either there for the "entertainment" value, their pretty face, or they have something over on the producer. A lot of times that person is the shop foreman who's butt should be canned for all their screw ups. Other times it's some chick (Overhaulin'). In Overhaulin's case they have both the chick and the guy mook giving the play by play.

I know Fantomworks was taken to task here recently, but the show seemed reasonably authentic and it didn't have a bunch of bearded plump guys with their hat on backwards, rather it seems the personnel were actually mechanics, body men, etc. who looked like normal human beings.

All of the above IMHO.

If your friend wants their car restored, then they need to go to a reputable shop and pay them to do it.  The Garage Squad is, imo, a little more realistic than some of the other shows.  But they do not restore cars.  They do get them up and running.  Occasionally they upgrade systems with new parts or use aftermarket parts to make the vehicle functional.  And they do it in about a week I think, so there is no way they can actually restore a car.

• Thanks 1

The show is based in the Chicago area and has only done cars in that region.  They've hinted at expanding their horizons, but so far haven't (to my knowledge).  If they ever wanted to come to New Jersey, I'd approach them myself.  I've got a car and a story they may like.

Garage Squad is not a restoration shop, nor is it a Foose-style modification shop. Their schtick is that they help owners finish stalled project cars. Typically they do whatever can be reasonably done to get the car on the road in a week or less with minimum effort. Does this sound like a 100% correct restoration? Not a chance.

As long as you want whatever engine is in your car replaced with a low-dollar Chevy crate motor, the wiring replaced by a generic "fuse box in a kit," spare parts from whomever is sponsoring the show that week whether you need them or not (these door seals are from a Chevy Biscayne but since this Plymouth Belvedere is about the same size, our friends at ChevyPartsUSA.com said they'll work just fine), and no concern for authenticity or quality, I'd say go for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If your friend wants to have his car restored to "100% correct and to original specs" then Garage Squad is not for him. As everyone that is on this site can confirm, a total 100% restoration takes years, not the week that Garage Squad gives you. Also, you haven't addressed the buckets of money required for a total restoration. I'm sure those people on the show are good mechanics but restoration experts? There isn't a car that has been built on that show that will ever compete at Pebble Beach or a National level event. Your friend needs a reality check.

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

As long as you want whatever engine is in your car replaced with a low-dollar Chevy crate motor, the wiring replaced by a generic "fuse box in a kit," spare parts from whomever is sponsoring the show that week whether you need them or not (these door seals are from a Chevy Biscayne but since this Plymouth Belvedere is about the same size, our friends at ChevyPartsUSA.com said they'll work just fine), and no concern for authenticity or quality, I'd say go for it.

Sorry, but Garage Squad doesn't even go that far. They simply reassemble a car that's been sitting for years. Nowhere near the budget of the "crate motor" shows. As these shows go, it's about mid-pack. They do about what a typical home hobbyist would do. Nothing more, nothing less.

4 hours ago, thehandleman said:

your going to get a nice driver, not a show car especially if your friends car is old and requires extensive parts source, I would trust the Navy vet Dan at Phantom works more then garage Squad not saying they do not do ok work, just saying its more TV Fun.

just my opine

Good Luck

Army vet!

24 minutes ago, ejboyd5 said:

I'm always suspicious of any post that inquires for "a friend." Trolls and pot stirrers abound.

Really?  Nothing like looking for the best in people.   How many posts have I made here, and for how many years?  I also happen to be a Life Member of the AACA.  Were you able to glean any of that?

Not going to get into it, but I’ll elaborate this much.   I am asking on behalf of a widow who enjoys classic vehicles, has several of them, as do I, and does not want to be taken advantage of, and who knows that I have been a tremendous help to her in this area for years, and entrusted me to check this out for her.  So here I am.

If you want to help with an answer, fine, and thank you.  Otherwise, keep scrolling and don’t waste any more of my time.

35 minutes ago, 28 Chrysler said:

I have heard that the owner pays income tax on the retail value of the parts that come from catalogs. (aftermarket)

Value received -

sounds fair?

There are some who expect something for nothing-

but the real world rarely works that way

Garage Squad does a great job of getting vehicles back on the road.  They cut almost every corner they can to do this.  They don’t do high quality restorations at all, but their purpose is well served and very beneficial to people whose cars would otherwise never see daylight.  They couldn’t/can’t possibly do a car to 100% original specs.  That takes months and years.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, starfireelvis said:

Not going to get into it, but I’ll elaborate this much.   I am asking on behalf of a widow who enjoys classic vehicles, has several of them, as do I, and does not want to be taken advantage of, and who knows that I have been a tremendous help to her in this area for years, and entrusted me to check this out for her.  So here I am.

Your statement raises a question or two. If you've watched Garage Squad, you should realize that the show is about helping someone that can't get their car completed & back on the road, usually because of a big issue with health, family tragedy, or they've been too busy helping others through volunteering. All of the people who's cars are on the show also look like it's their only classic car. Generally, they do not appear to own several. 

The premise of the show is helping someone who deserves/needs the help. Given your statement, including "has several of them", how is it that she and you think she has a chance at being selected for the show?

1 hour ago, George Smolinski said:

Your statement raises a question or two. If you've watched Garage Squad, you should realize that the show is about helping someone that can't get their car completed & back on the road, usually because of a big issue with health, family tragedy, or they've been too busy helping others through volunteering. All of the people who's cars are on the show also look like it's their only classic car. Generally, they do not appear to own several. 

The premise of the show is helping someone who deserves/needs the help. Given your statement, including "has several of them", how is it that she and you think she has a chance at being selected for the show?

Let me try this again.

Since there are no italics for emphasis that I am aware of, I am using caps.  I am not screaming.  But if replies like this keep up, I may start.

As I said.  I AM NOT FAMILIAR with the show, for the reasons outlined above.   I AM INQUIRING AS A FAVOR TO A FRIEND (which I have learned is cause in itself for suspicion of ulterior motives).   I ASKED FOR ANSWERS.  Not snark, judgmentalism, or an inquisition.

But, If that’s the playing field, I guess I’ll strap my helmet on and go at it as I apparently must. 

You know, George, there are different, more tactful ways of making your point rather than the “how is it that she and you thinks she has a chance at being selected for the show?” route.  WE. DON’T. KNOW.  Which is WHY I AM ASKING.   Got it??

You could have made every one of your points previous to that—which would actually be informative—without the cross-examination at the end.   But, I guess this is 2019, the internet, and whatever else keyboard warriorism does to massage egos.

Edited by starfireelvis (see edit history)

12 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

I'm always suspicious of any post that inquires for "a friend." Trolls and pot stirrers abound.

I agree with Starfire Elvis.  He's a respected

member of our forum.  He's inquiring for a widow.

And of course we should be helping friends and

other people with our expertise!

There's a reward waiting somewhere for people

with hearts for others.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I agree with Starfire Elvis.  He's a respected

member of our forum.  He's inquiring for a widow.

And of course we should be helping friends and

other people with our expertise!

There's a reward waiting somewhere for people

with hearts for others.

Thank you John.  People have NO IDEA what her situation is, other than what I’ve stated.  And no, you cannot always go by material things.

Looking very much to Fall Hershey and perhaps seeing you there once again.   One month from today I’ll be on the road towards the greatest show on Earth...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, starfireelvis said:

Let me try this again.

Since there are no italics for emphasis that I am aware of, I am using caps.  I am not screaming.  But if replies like this keep up, I may start.

As I said.  I AM NOT FAMILIAR with the show, for the reasons outlined above.   I AM INQUIRING AS A FAVOR TO A FRIEND (which I have learned is cause in itself for suspicion of ulterior motives).   I ASKED FOR ANSWERS.  Not snark, judgmentalism, or an inquisition.

But, If that’s the playing field, I guess I’ll strap my helmet on and go at it as I apparently must. 

You know, George, there are different, more tactful ways of making your point rather than the “how is it that she and you thinks she has a chance at being selected for the show?” route.  WE. DON’T. KNOW.  Which is WHY I AM ASKING.   Got it??

You could have made every one of your points previous to that—which would actually be informative—without the cross-examination at the end.   But, I guess this is 2019, the internet, and whatever else keyboard warriorism does to massage egos.

Yes, I do "got it". You and/or she know about Garage Squad from your original post. That would lead one to believe you and/or she has some idea of the premise of the show. I detailed some scenarios of how a person and their car appear to be selected for the show. I also stated that the people featured on the show appear to own one car that is unfinished, and some of the reasons given in the show for why it's unfinished. 

That all said, I believe my question is/was a legitimate one given the fact that she owns several of them. You may think my statements and questions may not be very tactful, but I prefer direct - that way there is no mistaking what I'm saying. ANNNND, that said, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. 

Two final thoughts:

Would you care to answer my question anyway?

If not, will you keep us posted on how you and your friend make out with getting on the show? 

4 hours ago, starfireelvis said:

Since there are no italics for emphasis

Look at the slanted I above the box you type in. Press the I until the box turns shaded. Clicking the B also gets bold and italic.  Clicking the button until it goes white returns to normal.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Look at the slanted I above the box you type in. Press the I until the box turns shaded. Clicking the B also gets bold and italic.  Clicking the button until it goes white returns to normal.

Now that I am on my iPad instead of my iPhone, I see it plain as day!  Thanks for taking the time to address this.

8 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Yes, I do "got it". You and/or she know about Garage Squad from your original post. That would lead one to believe you and/or she has some idea of the premise of the show. I detailed some scenarios of how a person and their car appear to be selected for the show. I also stated that the people featured on the show appear to own one car that is unfinished, and some of the reasons given in the show for why it's unfinished. 

That all said, I believe my question is/was a legitimate one given the fact that she owns several of them. You may think my statements and questions may not be very tactful, but I prefer direct - that way there is no mistaking what I'm saying. ANNNND, that said, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. 

Two final thoughts:

Would you care to answer my question anyway?

If not, will you keep us posted on how you and your friend make out with getting on the show? 

8 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

My friend asked me for assistance regarding the application for this show.  I let her know that I would be looking into it.  That is where I am at now.

If anything eventuates from this, I will provide details provided that is her desire to do so.

No feelings hurt.   I asked a question, I expected an answer, not a rhetorical exercise.   The reasoning behind the "why" the question was asked is irrelevant.   

That being said, no apologies necessary.  Ready to move on from this.

Edited by starfireelvis (see edit history)

On 9/7/2019 at 8:04 PM, ejboyd5 said:

It's not fair to think a forum member with over 570 post's is a troll, and I am sure it was a mistake.  As John S in PA pointed out, what Elvis inquiring about to help a friend is very admirable, and just want an opinion and advice. 

Had the pleasure of having one of my cars in class 27E with Starfire Elvis  at the GN in Williamsport a few years ago. It was good to see him this year in Auburn at the GN when we bumped into each other enjoying the show

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Lots of opinions here. Bottom line it is not for the "Home Hobbyist", it is for someone close to Chicago who has an interesting car/story that has at least a basically sound rolling chassis and for life reasons cannot do it themselves. They do not restore cars, it is more of a restification process designed to turn the vehicle into a running, driving, presentable, inspectable, licensable car that the owner could take to a local or unjudged show. Parts used are often repops or replacement but rarely NOS. No attempt is made to create a "numbers match" car. Rock Auto appears to be a sponsor.

If that fits what someone needs then it is a great service particularly since only fanatics can tell the difference. Besides currently resto-mods bring more money than correct originals.

On 9/7/2019 at 8:59 AM, Mikefit said:

I'm sure if I drove by their shop I would  just keep on looking. 

I have seen enough of those shows that I just drive by hobby car shops or car lots that I would have stopped at in the past. I ran into a couple of wannabe TV star shop owners and decided I didn't want to meet any more.

My guess is that I am not the only one. And I am sure abstaining from the temptation to stop has saved me some money. Not so good for the businesses, though.

Bernie

On 9/8/2019 at 9:31 AM, starfireelvis said:

One month from today I’ll be on the road towards the greatest show on Earth...

Yesterday I decided not to go to Hershey this year. The main factor was that I didn't want to go to the greatest 4 door, dually, truck and camper cluster on Earth.

• Like 1

The car show is great. As well as the car coral.

Last time I went there were masses of travel homes and their tow trucks taking up a lot of spaces. The owners appeared to be very territorial. Trailers were butted end to end tightly. The few openings were homesteaded with tables and chairs and generators were running on the opposite side. The Chocolate Field was mostly truck and camper rigs, but there were plenty in the other fields, too.

My work never allowed me time to go until the early 1990's. Then you would see a guy sleeping in a truck camper with his parts or a small travel trailer. What is there now was a detractor from me enjoying the meet as I had in the 20 years prior. I am cheerful enough as is. And I generally make the best of inconveniences. The trucks and campers just choked the fun out of it for me.

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Hershey is a great car show, with probably 1200 of

the most interesting and diverse cars you'll see anywhere!

Correct. That is Saturday.