daddymott1

Did it have lights ?

sure   hope someone can answer a question for me . 

did a 1948 roadmaster 70 buick  have a light for the gear shift and if so where is it located ?

all dash light work but no light on gearshift .

Do you mean the gear position indicator?

15 hours ago, daddymott1 said:

sure   hope someone can answer a question for me . 

did a 1948 roadmaster 70 buick  have a light for the gear shift and if so where is it located ?

all dash light work but no light on gearshift .

It did not.  I have seen aftermarket ones.  None lately.

Ben

• Like 1

thanks Ben 

i know now not to start a take a part . i think that was really absent minded of Buick . 

16 hours ago, daddymott1 said:

i think that was really absent minded of Buick .

I wouldn't be too quick to judge. Back in the 50's there was little in the way of ambient night lighting. For the most part street lights were only in the cities and the rest of the country was DARK at night.. Sort of like driving on country roads at 3 in the morning now. Under these conditions your eyes pick up a lot of detail you don't see in todays normal driving with steady traffic and substantial background lighting. Try driving the car late at night on a road with no street lights and see if it isn't pretty easy after a few minutes to see what gear you are in just from the light provided by the instrument cluster. You may be surprised (or I may have selective memory - it's possible).

Its not judgement vermontboy . Maybe absent minded was the wrong phrase to use . I,ll use over sight . I think they just looked over that little feature all together with both eye,s . Your 100% right about the lighting and eye sight from back in the day compared to to day . And the part what your eyes can pick up on 100 % true and here,s why . I was hasted in 1951 . we lived 1 mile from town and street lights were 1 about every 2nd some 3rd block until you hit town .  at the age of 6-7 i got one of my eyes put out . Total darkness in one eye . Well Mother & Dad let me start driving them to them to different places . mother was  to store town and different places . Now Dad wow i got to drive him to different bars and it was night . 

some of the bars were 12 miles away . wow all the  doctor peppers i could  drink . In these times and after i did notice that i would always notice more with one eye than i would with 2 . Movement  shadows reflections  things that normally with two eyes i don't really think i would have notice . The doctors did tell Mom that there was a good chance that one of my other scenes would enhance . well here it is 2019 and time has given me 2 more eye,s , my bifocales . 

Now i blame it on being one eyed for being a safety freak . 

So i change absent minded To  over sight .

lost this post and like to have never found it , but i did so if i may i would like to ask one more question .

my turn  signal work great front and back left and right flash flash flash BUT the dash indicator 

light will only  flash one time and then nothing while out side they are flashing great . so my question is was the dash flasher a separate relay .