Brakes & level of brake fluid

Reatta89

The two replies above give good advice.

On my Reatta after I turn the key on and then wait until the amber and yellow brake lights have gone out the level is down about 3/8 to 1/2 inch from the line. If your level is at the line after the key is turned on and both lights have gone out it usually means your reservoir has been over-filled and fluid needs to be taken out before driving. If I let my Reatta sit overnight and don't turn the key on the level will be about at the line.

A picture of the brake reservoir fill line is shown here . After applying the brakes 25 times with the ignition off my reservoir looks like the picture. The liquid is at the top of the white triangle in the picture. When I turn my ignition key on and wait for the yellow and red lights to go out the liquid level is about 1/2 inch below the triangle.

The instructions on the front of the reservoir are shownhere .

I installed a new accumulator about 2 months ago.

Hope this helps.

If the fluid drops 1/2 inch between depressurized and pressurized, order a new

accumulator (express mail). A new accumulator will drop about 3/8 inch, as the nitrogen inside diminishes (this can take years) more fluid goes into the accumulator, hence the greater drop in the resevior.

To do the check, you must turn the ignition OFF and pump the pedal 20+ times

this empties the accumulator (into the resevoir). I use a piece of tape on the resevoir and mark the upper level. Now turn the ignition ON and the pump starts, fills the accumulator and the level in the resevoir drops.....mark the low level on the tape and measure the difference.

3/8 inch drop is equivelant to a new accumulator. 1/2 drop you are close to needing a replacement, order one now. over 1/2 drop, add a safety chute to the rear bumper because you will need it soon.

Below is Test #6 ( reatta.net ) / Brakes/ Troubleshooting and Tests.

Test 6:" The system should be fully pressurized ( key on, lights out, pump no longer running) and you should have filled reservoir to the fill line while the system was Depressurized , as per Manual, prior to this test! Make a mark, grease pencil, masking tape, whatever, exactly at the Reservoir fluid level. Measure the distance between the fill line and this mark. Distance _____?"

The average drop in fluid level, 1/2 inch, was obtained from the results reported of 30+ cars with functioning Accumulators. I also ran this test on 2 cars with failed Accumulators before and after Accumulator replacement. I did not average the reported results of failed Accumulators, usually at least 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch. Several owners reported the before and after readings and they were usually the reverse 3/4-5/8, then 1/2. I think I saw 7/16 one or two times after replacement or after a Prior rebuild installation( probably the ideal).

The amount of fluid drop will vary even with functioning Accumulators, I doubt as much as 1/4 inch, maybe 1/8 inch due to Pressure Sensor high end cutoff of the Pump differences and stretching of the Accumulator Diaphram.

Test 6 was added some time after the other tests as added proof that the Accumulator has failed. If the other tests 1 thru 5 do not indicate a failed Accumulator, I would suspect it is functioning.

In other words: If the car fails other tests and you are still not convinced the Accumulator has failed, looks at the Test 6 results!