1950 Pontiac Auto Trans dipstick problem

CATPAL

Question about the trans dipstick and the front floor mat. The automatic transmission  dipstick is under the front floor.Access to it is from turning over the front floor mat.My mat is in poor condition.I cannot find a replacement. I have talked to people selling molded carpet for the 1950 and they say the carpet needs to be glued down, obviously this wouldn't work. Some people have suggested buying sheet rubber flooring, but that wouldn't fit right over the hump either unless it was glued down. Anybody solved this problem or have an idea? Thanks in advance!

Had a customer once with a 1952 Pontiac that had this same problem. He took it to an upholstery shop and they glued the carpet down right over the dipstick hole. I told him to take it back and have them UNglue it.  They did, as far as I know the carpet still laid flat and everybody was happy. 

Thanks - The 55er

I talked to one carpet seller and they said their carpet is too stiff to turn over and another is going to get back to me.So I guess I will see what happens. I wonder if I could glue some sort of backing on to the old floor mat? Like canvas or something.The old mat is cracked where it is bent over. I also thought of buying a mat for another vehicle and trimming it to fit possibly.Thank you for your comment.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:00 PM, CATPAL said:

Question about the trans dipstick and the front floor mat. The automatic transmission  dipstick is under the front floor.Access to it is from turning over the front floor mat.My mat is in poor condition.I cannot find a replacement. I have talked to people selling molded carpet for the 1950 and they say the carpet needs to be glued down, obviously this wouldn't work. Some people have suggested buying sheet rubber flooring, but that wouldn't fit right over the hump either unless it was glued down. Anybody solved this problem or have an idea? Thanks in advance!

Call CPR, California Pontiac Restoration 1-714-245-9800. If they don't have the rubber floor covering they can have it made up. With the exception of the Catalina, and maybe the convertible the rest of the Pontiac Chieftain Deluxe models had carpeting only in the rear and rubber for the front. Standard Chieftain might be rubber all around.

The point is if you show this car at say a AACA or a POCI event you will get dinged for having carpet in the front, and if you leave the old rubber in place and change the pan and put in a dipstick that can be seen from the engine compartment you will also get dinged for points. 

1 hour ago, CATPAL said:

Pfeil, Thank you for your comment. I talked to them and they don't make the mats or know anyone who is making any. Maybe someone will start making them.

OK, how about looking into/ getting some bulk rubber and cutting it to match your rubber. As in many difficulties in life sometimes the individual has to take matters into their own hands and not wait for someone to start making something otherwise it will never happen.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Pfeil said:

OK, how about looking into/ getting some bulk rubber and cutting it to match your rubber. As in many difficulties in life sometimes the individual has to take matters into their own hands and not wait for someone to start making something otherwise it will never happen.

I don't know how well bulk rubber would work as it wouldn't fit well around the hump unless it was glued down. The supplier said it would need to be glued down. I am trying to repair the old mat right now, I have cleaned it with acetone and am glueing it from the back side with black RTV  adhesive sealant and Gorilla tape. Also the fellow working on my upholstery says he can fit a carpet with a trap door in the carpet. I try and keep the car original as possible, but I don't enter the car into car shows so having a dipstick under the hood wouldn't bother me if I knew where to get the parts.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:00 AM, CATPAL said:

I don't know how well bulk rubber would work as it wouldn't fit well around the hump unless it was glued down. The supplier said it would need to be glued down. I am trying to repair the old mat right now, I have cleaned it with acetone and am glueing it from the back side with black RTV  adhesive sealant and Gorilla tape. Also the fellow working on my upholstery says he can fit a carpet with a trap door in the carpet. I try and keep the car original as possible, but I don't enter the car into car shows so having a dipstick under the hood wouldn't bother me if I knew where to get the parts.

try calling turner's auto wrecking in fresno, calif. 559-237-0918, ask for a flat pan hydramatic pan with a filler tube & dipstick early 1950s oldsmobile or cadillac

There were aftermarket companies that made replacement rubber floor mats. ACE is one company that comes to mind, a mid-50's catalog is pictured on the right. If you attend large swap meets you might get lucky and find a vendor with a pile of them.  I found a black rubber front mat for a 1954-1956 Olds and installed it in my 1953 Pontiac with some minor trimming. I think I paid around $10-$15 for it. The ribbing and texture isn't exactly like the original but it has a hump already in it and it's a black rubber mat. Make sure it was stored properly so that it's still somewhat flexible. 

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

Edited by The 55er
added pictures (see edit history)