1951 Interior Options.

WhipperSnapper

Hello Everyone!

I'm restoring a 1951 Buick Super Riv. sedan. According to the data plate, the interior should be gray cloth, but what I have is this grayish blue (more decorative) fabric. I'm guessing that this was done sometime in the 80's or early 90's. 

The interior is in really nice condition, so I'm planning to put it back into the car as-is to save a little money; just replacing the carpets and headliner. I need to know what fabric style / color this is before ordering a replacement headliner. I'd also like to know what color carpet would have come with this interior color. When I purchased the car, the carpets were black aftermarkets. The headliner matched the seats and side panels exactly.

This could be completely custom, but I have a feeling that it's a period correct kit, just based on the fit of the original headliner and door panels. 

Any assistance that you guys could provide would be most appreciated!

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1

Headliner should be a light tan, felt-like, cotton fabric and definitely not the same as the seat fabric. That interior door panel in your photo is after-market. There should be a horizontal, thin, stainless steel strip about 2/3rds of the way up the door panel. You need to "Google" 1951 Super interior photos and familiarize yourself with them. Ignore the convertible interiors--they are completely different.

Not sure about '51, but in 1950 and 1949 the front floor covering would have been a black rubber floor mat and the rear floor covering would have been carpet. No one sells the rubber floor mats to my knowledge and they trap moisture under them anyway, so go with all carpet.

I like your two "inspectors" in the door panel photo!

Pete Phillips

Hello Pete. Thank you for the insight! I see what you're talking about on the doors...

Here's how the interior looked when I purchased the car. The doors, visors, pillars, and seats are in excellent condition. I'd like to use as much of it as possible, to save some money and just enjoy the car. As a side note, I've also got a '55 Cadillac coupe restoration going that's going to be VERY expensive to complete. Any money saved on the Buick will be diverted there. 

So, what would you recommend, given what I've got to work with? The interior is more blue than green. These photos are a bit deceptive. 

20140613_133419_resized.JPG

20140613_133423_resized.JPG

20140613_133439_resized.JPG

20140613_133445_resized.JPG

20140613_133506_resized.JPG

20140613_133558_resized.JPG

20140613_133612_resized.JPG

20140613_134140_resized.JPG

• Like 2

WhipperSnapper, your interior is in very good shape, even if not 100% correct or original. I would leave it as-is and just enjoy the car as-is. Put your $$$ into that two-door Cadillac--you will stand a good chance of getting back whatever you invest in it when it comes time to sell it. Can't say that about a 4-door sedan Buick, even though I like the Buick better than the Cadillac, which is why I'm here. The Buick has way more character and charm than a '55 Cadillac, in my book.

Pete Phillips

P.S.: I forgot to add, the only door panels and chrome trim that will fit your car are those from another Super Riviera sedan, model 52. Don't make the mistake I did years ago when I was young and inexperienced. A regular Super four-door sedan (model 51) has shorter door panels and chrome strips than a model 52! That's because the model 52 wheelbase is longer and the length is made up in the front and rear doors and floor pan.

Edited by Pete Phillips
The P.S. (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

P.S.: I forgot to add, the only door panels and chrome trim that will fit your car are those from another Super Riviera sedan, model 52. Don't make the mistake I did years ago when I was young and inexperienced. A regular Super four-door sedan (model 51) has shorter door panels and chrome strips than a model 52! That's because the model 52 wheelbase is longer and the length is made up in the front and rear doors and floor pan.

Pete

Just curious. Are the 51 Super Riviera sedan panels different that a Roadmaster rear door panels? Would the stainless trim be different? I have 52 Roadmaster trim if it will work for him?