1922 6 cyl oil pan drain leaks

Mark Kikta

Mark,

I am not certain, but it appears to be a tapered plug valve that is spring loaded from the top.  It may just have a piece of grit stuck between the plug and the body.  So, first try running some clean oil through it while you compress the spring.   If the spring is getting weak, you might try pulling up on he handle while rotating it, or just gently tap on the bottom to help seat the valve.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Mark,

Just curious can you remove the plug?

If so you might try:

1) remove plug and put an "O" ring or make a gasket from silicone gasket material so the spring will compress the seal and hopefully stop leak 

2) stretch the spring a bit to create more force on the plug 

3) put a slightly heavier spring   

Edited by RatFink255 (see edit history)

Yes I had the pan professionally cleaned and repaired and I cleaned the brass/bronze plug.  It is tapered and feels like it fits well but leaks a good bit.  I may have to try the O ring approach or just take it off and make my own fix for it.

I have rotated it all directions to see if that makes a difference, no better in any position.  I'll stretch the spring but it does feel like there is some spring in it's step still.

Mark, 

A friend of mine said that to get these to seal you use valve grinding compound.  BUT you never just rotate the plug.  That can make things worse.  You push with a 1/4 turn motion in each direction.  Like trying to put a cross hatch pattern on the parts.  Putting more force on the down direction than rotating.  I was able to get my water pump valve to stop leaking by doing that. 

Hugh

• Like 2

I just remembered the other thing you can try is get some fuel lube. We use it in the aviation industry on almost all fittings in the fuel system. If you try the "O" ring just put it on the plug and install "O" ring then a little bit over the "O" ring. It is some sticky stuff so don't go crazy with it it does not take much.

Fuel Lube.jpg

Discription.jpg

Edited by RatFink255 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I decided to tackle this oil pan drain issue today on this rainy day off work.  So you can see the brass plug that I removed and the first thing I noticed was there was no good place to try to insert an o ring.  Since the oil pan is already on the car I was afraid to break out the valve grinding compound for fear it might make its way into the oil pan. So tried the sand paper option.  I cleaned the plug if all oil and grease and then used spray glue to glue a piece of 400 grit sandpaper on it such that were no overlaps. I pushed it into the drain and kept rotating the tapered plug by hand. After a while of rotating, I removed the plug and cleaned everything the best I could. I reassembled the drain and was pleasantly surprised.  So far it has been about 6 hours and not a drop has leaked onto the floor.  Hopefully the problem is finally solved.

0853347B-5F12-429D-BA9B-F452171A7F18.jpeg

9BFFD55D-A9B4-46E6-BE5E-FEEB35B6F524.jpeg

2AE52493-848E-4082-8FDF-529B5464DE82.jpeg

• Like 5