headgear for open cars driven at high speed

gregleck

I am a new owner of a speedster and just completed a 450 mile trip - top down, no windows or tonneau cover.  Had it up to 80 mph at times and was often above 60 mph.

The wind buffeting not only bothered my ears, but often reached the point where my scalp hurt from the constant, violent movement of my hair.

I had a flat newsboy cap but was in constant fear that it was going to be blown off my head and into traffic behind me.

What do others wear when driving at higher speeds in open roadsters or speedsters?

I no longer have to worry about pain from violent movement of my hair, but by doctor's orders must wear a hat.  What seems to work best is (1) a chin strap (a MUST) and (2) not too large a brim on front.  If you're not concerned with looking "cool," get one of those khaki sunhats with back-of-neck flap and chin strap.  And wraparound sunglasses!

• Like 1

Does this thing have a windshield?

Even in open cars with windshields, anything with a brim will blow off if it isn't tied down, unless you put is on backwards. Hair gets used to that after a while, but mine sunburns and starts to resemble wire. I have to put conditioner in it on trips where I wouldn't otherwise. Wear sunscreen! I just did 1300 miles in a Miata over the last couple of days, top down, quite a bit of it on 80mph freeways.

If there's no windshield, maybe get one of those close fitting aviation caps (with a strap) and some goggles like the brass car guys have.

Best of all:  Get an old leather "helmet" like 

some of the drivers used in the early 1900's.

Maybe there's an antique out there to suit the

era of your car. It would be similar to what Ronnie

showed, but historic.  Then some small round 

era-appropriate goggles to go along with them.

Maybe one of our historians has a period picture---

• Like 1

When I drive my roadster, I use a 1/8" cord with a strong alligator type clip on each end. I clip one to my hat and one to my shirt and it has saved many hats from flying away.

Did an eBay search for authentic WWII leather flying helmet and only came up with a Nazi one?

For sale from Australia , Approximately US $269.08

Original WW2 German Air Force K-33 Cold Weather Flying Helmet (Luftwaffe K33 Fliegerkopfhaubewinter) in Brown Leather with Sheepskin fur lining.

Leather helmet.jpg

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

My son and I on an Endurance Run in one of the boat-tail roadsters I used to have. (Wish I still had it!)

I bought a couple original '20s & '30s flyer's/motorcycle leather helmets many years ago. I also bought a reproduction WWI flyer's helmet that was being made about forty years ago. Still have them, waiting for my next speedster to be on the road!

I looked at a couple of the links posted by others, and they look pretty good!  I would go with those. Originals are difficult to come by these days, and tend to be expensive, also fragile due to age. Finding originals to fit us fatheads ain't easy anymore either. I also recommend ear plugs under the leather helmet. Even with the helmet alone, the buffeting wind tends to be tough on ears. I am paying for that now.

scan0050.jpg

• Like 1

You must not be an HCCA guy or live in the southern parts of California. Go to:  https://www.restorationstuff.com in Escondido, CA. Allan Schmidt's Restoration Supply Co. has great repro leather aviator's caps[plus cotton versions], and vintage-style goggles. Their specialty is pre-WWI and pre-WWII parts and supplies for cars. 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Although I've never owned one, I think the aviator hats look cool .

61hlWhrIc8L._UX466_.jpg

I used to drive a 32 Ford roadster hot rod at highway speed. I would wear a aviator hat with glasses. Did not care what I looked like. It saves the ears. Next step is a full face helmet which I did in the winter a few times.

• Like 1