Lesson learned the dangerous way

kreed

I was driving my 66GS to the Buick Regional in Stillwater ,MN last week and blew out my right front tire going about 75mph .The tire literally exploded causing me to go immediately right .Thank goodness I was in the right lane instead of the passing lane with a semi next to me or I wouldn’t be writing this note. The tires had less than 2000 miles on them when I bought the car but..... were made in 2009 . I knew that but was hoping to squeeze a little 500 mile trip out of them - big mistake!  The “explosion “ did lots of paint damage to my fender, hood, wheel well and trim on the passenger side ( $6700 worth). Thanks to Hagerty for outstanding service and immediate appraisal.. Lesson : no matter how good they look , ten years of rubber drying out and rubber fatigue can get you killed !  

KReed

ROA 14549

11D75BD6-50DD-4A98-9F44-7B6407436831.jpeg

5577BA94-2147-4567-B294-ED93F3B61BD8.jpeg

D8FE0F5E-D06E-4780-A167-59C7507E8912.jpeg

2D019B9B-A628-4377-BD8D-EBFB5BC63103.jpeg

78F45DC7-BD08-4E05-8A64-0ACB539E14B0.jpeg

FF6DA87D-0186-44DD-A501-693EA664B5F6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting the hazards of driving on tires more than seven years old.  Too bad about the damage to the car; but it can always be fixed.  Just glad no one was hurt.  As you said - Lesson learned........  Hopefully others will learn from you rather than "the dangerous way"; they might not be as lucky.  

If you're curious, there are many sites on the internet that show you how to date your tires.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks for sharing this and glad it was not worse. When the "replace after six years" rules started I remember most everyone on these forums scoffed and said it was just an excuse for tire companies to make more money. Now there have been so many testimonials of experiences like yours hopefully people have accepted it, I know I have.

Years ago I had used & some new tires on my overheads that were 20+ yrs. old & NEVER do I recall EVER having a problem back then.

Yeah, times have changed.  Now MOST manufacturing has gone overseas & the QUALITY has suffered immensely.  New & better materials my backside.  It's the QUALITY of the products & materials that has fallen.   ALL GARBAGE!!!!!!

Just my Nickels worth which isn't worth a nickel any longer.

Tom T.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hans3 said:

A fortunate outcome ... but what brand were they?

Firestone F40 - date code 0309 - third week 2009. 

12 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Ken,

Great to hear you are OK and thanks for posting....as an aside, if you want to get rid of that hazardous old triple white tire I have the ability to recycle same...JK, also great to hear you made the meet in spite,

Tom

Saving that triple white for you Tom - better hurry though, it’s crumbling as we speak😀

KReed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

So glad you’re safe.

IMO any mounted low mileage tire kept in a sheltered mild climate should NOT disintegrate at 10 yrs.

Absolutely unacceptable and screams substandard quality.

That tire could have blown in its first year.

Poo poo on the manufacturer!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PWB said:

So glad you’re safe.

IMO any mounted low mileage tire kept in a sheltered mild climate should NOT disintegrate at 10 yrs.

Absolutely unacceptable and screams substandard quality.

That tire could have blown in its first year.

Poo poo on the manufacturer!

Think about that rubber band that's been in your desk drawer unused, not expoaed to weather or UV rays. You try to stretch it and it breaks.  Same with that eraser on the end of your pencil.  It's been protected the same way as the rubber band.  You try to use it and it breaks off.  The same goes for tires.  

You csn do sll the rationalizing you want, but if you read any number of articles you'll see thst most are in agreement thst tires should be replaced after six years, no matter how much tread is left,  how theyve been stored, and how good they may look.  

Ask yourself.  Is my life, the life of my spouse, one of my children or grandchildren worth the price of a set of tires.  I'm not even concerned about your car.  It can be brought back to life. Can you say the same about your loved ones?

Don't be cheap. Don't be obstinate. Don't be dead.  Be proactive and take credit for it; don't be reactive and look to place blame someplace else.  

There's a really good article on Edmonds.com about tire age and some of the hazards that come with driving on old, but otherwise good appearing tires.  One story tells of a man who lost his son when an aged tire blew out on their Ford Explorer.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Think about that rubber band that's been in your desk drawer unused, not expoaed to weather or UV rays. You try to stretch it and it breaks.  Same with that eraser on the end of your pencil.  It's been protected the same way as the rubber band.  You try to use it and it breaks off.  The same goes for tires.  

You csn do sll the rationalizing you want, but if you read any number of articles you'll see thst most are in agreement thst tires should be replaced after six years, no matter how much tread is left,  how theyve been stored, and how good they may look.  

Ask yourself.  Is my life, the life of my spouse, one of my children or grandchildren worth the price of a set of tires.  I'm not even concerned about your car.  It can be brought back to life. Can you say the same about your loved ones?

Don't be cheap. Don't be obstinate. Don't be dead.  Be proactive and take credit for it; don't be reactive and look to place blame someplace else.  

There's a really good article on Edmonds.com about tire age and some of the hazards that come with driving on old, but otherwise good appearing tires.  One story tells of a man who lost his son when an aged tire blew out on their Ford Explorer.

It is edmunds not edmonds and the article is a good read: https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

• Thanks 1