ignition coil question - 1929

jps

I would like to replace my coil because I have tried everything else to improve the difficult starting on my car, and at this point I feel that the spark must be the culprit.  The ignition coil on the car now is Standard model UC-14, and according to Standard's web site that is correct for a 1930 40-series but not for 1929 20-series (I might have thought they would be the same, but that  is what the web site says and it doesn't give any real specs on the coil for me to determine that independently).  That coil was put in new just before I bought the car by the previous owner's mechanic, but he was a Ford guy and I don't know if he really knew about Buicks or not. 

At any rate, here is my question:  Bob's Automobilia has 2 coils available for 1929's.  One appears to be equivalent to the original, but the other is made by Pertronoix and is their "Flame Thrower II" brand.  It is advertised as a 45KV, 0.6-ohm coil, which I think is half or less than half of the original coil's impedance.  Has anyone tried the Pertronix coil, and have they experienced any problems with it (for example, burning out distributor points or reducing the life of the condenser or other part)?  I am desperate to get my car to start better, so I am tempted to try the Pertronix coil, but as a conservative electrical engineer I like to know the potential side effects of changing from the original design.

Thank you

Before throwing more $ at this problem you might consider calling the manufacture of you current coil for it's  specifications.  What type of spark are you getting at the spark plugs?  Is it a hot blue spark or something else?  I think there was an original coil on ebay a couple of weeks ago.  It may still be listed.