JamesR

Another "items found in old cars" thread. Post pics please.

On 9/6/2019 at 3:08 AM, wayne sheldon said:

Between all the bottles and that bra, it seems all anyone does is leave the empties?

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

One of my best friends in his '31 model A Ford sport coupe he bought to restore, found an odd square hollowed out space in the seat back cushion. Had a marijuana  joint in it.

Some people have all the luck..

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 9:26 AM, Walt G said:

Zimm63 - so tell us did you save that find? it is part of your cars heritage and history, do you display it as an artifact of your Riviera at car shows? An after market accessory? You need some forensic police investigation , with special equipment - perhaps a black light they may find footprints ( on the dashboard or elsewhere).

Got that thing off the premises as quickly as possible.  I got a wife with a frying pan.  

• Haha 1

But HEY a frying pan isn't an original accessory nor part of the heritage of the car! But I can see your point , you don't want to experience an encounter with that frying pan ( assume it is the big cast iron variety)

against the side of you head , may put a dent there that would be hard to repair. 😤

A few years ago, I helped a retired school teacher sell her fathers 1930 Lasalle coupe. It had been sitting in a barn on Long Island since WW II. We pulled it out and found the back seat had two duffle bags of unopened mail. Turns out he was the local mail delivery guy and died before he could deliver this batch. I put the bags in her car and she took it to the post office. After recording and photographing everything, the US Post Office did every thing they could to track down and deliver the mail 60 years later!

Wayne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We took apart a carb on a non running Kissel Gold Bug to diagnose why it would not hold gas. In the float chamber we found no float but there was a note "Sorry, but I really needed this float". Took a head off a '33 Cadillac 12 and found shards of glass on top of one piston. Funny thing was the pieces of glass were way to large to have gotten thru the spark plug hole. In the defroster vent of a '59 Cadillac we were restoring and on which we had no history we found two ticket stubs from the Cactus Drive In Theatre in Arizona.  Also found a rat's nest, including a very live rat,  in the trunk of a Healey 3000.

• Haha 2

An acquaintance bought a Corvette from a police auction.

It ran way rich, the air filter housing was full of POT.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

An acquaintance bought a Corvette from a police auction.

It ran way rich, the air filter housing was full of POT.

Was it "Smokin'"?

2 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Was it "Smokin'"?

Smokin could be a symptom of running rich.

I am of the opinion the those that buy at police auctions are not very likely to run and tell the seller what they found.

I am pretty sure the new owner (and all of his buddies) was smokin after all was said and done.   :ph34r::rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Last year I replaced the air filter in my Ram Diesel.  Curled up inside the filter housing was a 3 foot plus snake skin.

34 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Last year I replaced the air filter in my Ram Diesel.  Curled up inside the filter housing was a 3 foot plus snake skin.

Snake must have been after a mouse..

When I was in high school one of the guys I ran with found a pistol under the back seat if a 56 Plymouth.

His dad was the Chief of Police in our small town and ran the numbers.

Friend got to keep the gun.

OH!

Found a 1936 penny, under the back seat of a 36 Dodge a few years ago.