1934 Chrysler CA Sedan

Health and family circumstances require me to "simplify my life" and that means letting my car go.  She is running fine finally.  I have had her these past 19 years and can state that she is practically

an "original SURVIVOR."   She was sold out of a Chrysler dealership in Indianapolis in 1934 and worked her way East to live in Ohio and then Maryland and across the Mason-Dixon line to the Bedford area of Pennsylvania.  She has been with me in Altoona, Pennsylvania for the past 19 years.  Along the way, someone redid the interior in black naughide so I say "practically original".   We cleaned the fuel tank and fuel line and rebuilt the fuel pump, carbureator, water pump, and put on new brake lines and new spark plugs.  We flushed the cooling system and installed new hoses.  Her cast manifold was cracked so we were lucky enough to find a replacement.  This is the 241.6 cid, 93 bhp "big block".  This conventional sedan sold 17,617 units for $845.00 during the height of the Great Depression.  This was the year Walter Chrysler introduced his first Airflow and the buying public was ambivalent toward it.  The conventional CA arguably saved the company from bankruptcy and it became the Airstream in 1935.  In the early 1930's, Chrysler Corporation was noted as the engineering leader in building cars and the CA is a good example.  It ushered in hydraulic brakes and a one-piece wind out windshield with shatterproof glass.  Sales brochures boasted of independent front suspension and "floating power" (rubber motor mounts).  This CA has massive chromed headlamps 

and the iconic  Impala (some say Gazelle) sitting atop the radiator shell.  She sports the Art Deco rage of the 30's abundantly.  She does have the four suicide doors, lap robe cord, handle straps, and foot rest across the floor for rear passengers.  It is one roomy back seat and has rear turn out vents and wind down windows.  All the glass is clear but one front wing vent is cracked.

$16,000

IMG_3324.JPG

Edited by Parrish
forgot to mention cost (see edit history)
  • Like 2