1958 Buick Special convertible

Alexander1

That tells you it's a 1958 Special, the 77,802nd 58 Buick built in Flint.

From 1958buickforum.net:

VIN Plate Decoding.

Postby 58limited » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:48 am

This is from the Chassis Service Manual

For data plate decoding, go here: http://www.1958buickforum.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=254

The first digit indicates the series:

4=Special
5=Super
6=Century
7=Roadmaster
8=Limited (this was NOT in any of my books, but this is the first digit of my Limited's VIN number)

The next digit is the letter E for 1958.

The third digit identifies the plant where the car was produced:

1=Flint
2=South Gate
3=Linden
4=Kansas City
5=Wilmington
6=Atlanta
7= Framingham
8=Arlington

The remaining 6 digits are the car's individual serial number.

Example: 4E8010123 (Kevinm22's car)

4 = Special
E = 1958
8 = Arlington

I believe the serial number started at 1,000 so this was the 9,123rd car made, but I could be wrong.
58limited
Site Admin

• Like 1

I agree that it looks extremely nice and it is a convertible.

Special convert's don't come up as often as Super's (I meant Century's - they didn't make Super's) so are somewhat rare (IMHO) especially when brought up to this level.

If you are thinking of showing for judging there are some things that I would point out to you but as a beautiful driver for general car shows and such I would be thrilled be in possession of this one.

Edited by dei (see edit history)

I have seen the wheel center on the continental spare tire before.  It was sold at the recent Buick nationals in the swap area.  A guy was walking around with it, and I asked what it was.  He explained,  and admitted that he had no '58 to put it on, but thought it would look good on the wall.  I had to agree. 

I assumed it was factory, but have I never seen a continental kit done like this one.  But it would be a lot less weight and space than the whole rear bumber extended way back...

Car will get a lot of smiles and attention!

3 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

I have seen the wheel center on the continental spare tire before.  It was sold at the recent Buick nationals in the swap area.  A guy was walking around with it, and I asked what it was.  He explained,  and admitted that he had no '58 to put it on, but thought it would look good on the wall.  I had to agree. 

I assumed it was factory, but have I never seen a continental kit done like this one.  But it would be a lot less weight and space than the whole rear bumber extended way back...

There was no factory continental kit on any Buick, there were lots of aftermarket kits available thought

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

9 hours ago, Alexander1 said:

Thanks guys!

It really looks nice right?

Which parts are not original for this model?

Please understand this is by no means to degrade the quality of the car but I do speak from experience having had my Special since purchasing it as a used car for transportation back in 1972. (before it was considered a collectible)

For this car to be judged in the BCA the things I notice are what would need to be corrected to bring the car to what was there when delivered in 1958.

Under the Hood;

1- The wipers have been converted to electric ones which all '58 Buick's were vacuum operated when new.

2- The brake master cylinder and booster has been changed to a dual master cylinder vs a single. The original was a power brake booster / single master cylinder combination.

Interior; 

1- The door top trim is painted white and should be the colour of the dash pad, in this case red.

I include a GM picture of what I believe is a Special (or Century) for comparison, in that case black trim.

tumblr_o99acixxfT1qcdxvpo1_1280.thumb.jpg.a4f4f2bc3ff0155adb32fb301fb62871.jpg

2- The door panels have carpet on the bottom with a speaker cut into it. They were not carpeted in the Special series. They were covered in the heat treated seam vinyl as seen on mine even though well worn...

IMG_4802.thumb.JPG.0e58a5fb204ebf2c813c5c04026e1c35.JPG

I'm not 100%sure about the arm rests on the car but mine are slightly different.

3- While the seats appear to have the correct sewn pattern the seat back insets (difficult to see on the white car) should have the heat pressed seams like mine not sewn). That heat seam should be on the seat bottoms also.

452219340_IMG_1978-Copy2.thumb.JPG.80fe4fce2b036e9d597265b2500c5c43.JPG

4- The dash padded edge should also have the heat pressed seam in it but often will seen it sewn due to the difficulty (and expense) to get a correct one. On mine the foam has deteriorate and is sagging but you can see the pattern none the less.

606485966_IMG_1979copy2.thumb.JPG.04ed55ffe3fc47f7cd645e3b98e90057.JPG

As stated earlier I'd be thrilled to have the car as it is with those changes / upgrades as it would be a big step up from mine but I drive it and have fun.

Others have cars to compete for trophy's and that is their thing which I appreciate but clearly from looking at mine, just not me.

You have to decide what you desire the car for and what the right price of acquisition is.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck.

1537408923_IMG_1970-Copy2.thumb.JPG.c1157f23d3ac3e99779eb725c7e5e091.JPG

• Like 2

Wow a big thanks for your explanation!

I am not an originality freak where every screw has to be the correct one. Especially when changes make it a better car. But i have never bought a car in this price range so i just want to be sure if a want to sell it again i don’t get stuck with a car nobody appreciates.

I live in the Netherlands so it’s hard to get parts over here. So for me it’s better to buy a finished car.

I do like honest cars, i love patina on a car it build character of the car. So i like yours as well, really cool. And i like cars to be driven,  not much of a show person. The first scratch on the white one will probably hurt:)

Do you think the price is right?

With it being the low end of the model line up I tend to agree with Adam on the price issue. 

If it was the Roadmaster or Limited rag top then it would get my attention at that price even with the changes.

Consider this, if you were to purchase say a BMW or Audi and you looked at the lowest model for sale, would you pay for it what the upper series models would be?

I rarely ever sell a car so take that statement for what it's worth, just one opinion.

I do believe like many of us here that your idea of purchasing the best car you can is sound, location not withstanding. Getting out there and enjoying it is far better than years up on blocks restoring it for a long time in anticipation of your first ride. (ask me how I know...)

Good luck with the purchase.

Thanks for the likes on mine. 

It is what it is, paid for and gets me where I want to go!😀