1927 OHV Eight Rebuild

Dpsmith

I purchased the 1927 Stutz Blackhawk Special (OHV Eight) at Bonham’s Tupelo Auction and as a museum piece for 40 some years it needs mechanical refurbishment including engine rebuild.

I would appreciate any advice including who to trust with a rebuild, potential problem areas, what pistons to use and what compression ratio to aim for, camshaft profiles, what connecting rods, conversion to shell bearings, valves etc., etc. - the whole gambit!

9ADFEA36-6ADD-42FA-90DF-9E36261F0600.jpeg

Step 1:  Join the Stutz Club

Step 2:  Look up George Holman in the member's directory.

Step 3:  Call George and order a high speed rear end,  also tell him you are rebuilding your engine and ask him what he has for parts and advice.  There are lots of racing mods that George has perfected.

Step 4:  Find a set of Super Eight Packard Rods circa 1940 to replace the aluma-junk ones in your car.   Have George give you the part number.

Step 5:  Call John Cislak at 413-543-9017 and tell him to finish my motor,  then ask him for advice and parts.

img_1257-jpg.3061580img_1255-jpg.3061581

img_1254-jpg.3061584

George also sells sets of rods and pistons that do not require the extensive regrinding of the rod journals that need to be done with the Packard rods.  If you decide on the Packard rods I know that Max Merritt had a set available earlier this year.

This is George's latest setup for dealing with the Timing chain tensioner issue.   He didn't have the rods and pistons back when I needed mine.  My engine start to finish is probably going to be about 30k to do the rebuild.   That was no corners cut,  but a lot of the money was spent over 10 years ago.   Maybe it is more now.

IMG_20190830_100146171.jpg

DpSmith   I have ss engine valves for sale. I have build 2 motor  A 1929 Blackhawk  with 356 Packard  rod with std brg turned shaft down and stroked if to 4.6  Had pistons made 7.5 com. and its running 10 yr. The other 1930 m 356 rod bored and babbitted to the 2.375 shaft  and 7.5 pistons and cam grind . The motor was put on georges dymo with a  super charger. Its now installed in my chassic. you can call me stutzl6  john grunder 8608060448.  I did not own the super charger

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

John, was this your engine?    The blower is from the Lancefield.  

I put a page together many moons ago on Stutz blowers as I was lucky enough to be the owner of one.  It is in the process of being put on the Indy car which was original supercharged....

Nope! It was John's engine and my (your-ex) blower. 

1524867117_BloweronDyno.thumb.JPG.c719489c6a4674eb9c74c8097d782834.JPG

George & Co. did a good job, everything ran beautifully.

I really enjoyed your web pages on superchargers - and learned a lot. Thanks!

An interesting side note: George ended up making a CV coupling between the motor and blower because the crank must be perfectly centred for the two units to work. It does a great job of getting around age, re-Babbitting and chassis flex. Here it is whirring around.

1617126175_Blowerinputshaft.thumb.jpg.f7e875557b526a60ff238f600528259b.jpg

Edited by Smile (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 2/24/2020 at 1:00 PM, alsancle said:

I picked up my rear chuck from George today with new 3.8 gears.   Anybody with a 1927-1935 Stutz is insane not to do this while they are available. 

IMG_6720.jpg

I've never found rear axles all that sexy, but that is one of the sexiest mechanical components I've ever seen! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My motor is now finished. It has titanium rods (thank you George). The blower is pretty low pressure, but I don't want to take any risks with old metal.

The round chrome thing at the back of the cam cover is a RPM pick-up from the camshaft. The car had a rev counter back in the day.

Good luck with your engine rebuild.

Stutz engine finished 2021.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smile said:

My motor is now finished. It has titanium rods (thank you George). The blower is pretty low pressure, but I don't want to take any risks with old metal.

The round chrome thing at the back of the cam cover is a RPM pick-up from the camshaft. The car had a rev counter back in the day.

Good luck with your engine rebuild.

Stutz engine finished 2021.jpg

Mark,

Where did you get the unobtainable pressure carburator from?   Also,  that blower is good for 6lbs?  or I am confusing it with Mercedes and it is 4.5?

Motor looks great.

• Like 1

Where did the carb come from? Same source as the con rods, and thank you again George.

4 to 4.5 lbs., I believe.

Thanks for saying the motor looks well. The car ran when I got it, but an inspection showed one con rod was just hand tight, and the generator casing was hollow. The crank was good, thank heavens. The top half of its current inlet manifold came from New Zealand, the bottom half from John (Stutz16 on this site) who had a stand at Hershey. The generator was from a collector about twenty miles from here. John also sorted me out with inlet and exhaust valves, and an internet search provided a gasket set.

And then there was the business of turning the ring gear 45˚ on the flywheel, so that fresh teeth met the starter, and finding someone to machine and install valve guides. The usual stuff.  

• Thanks 1

You need more boost........if you want to run with George and the Texas boys............😛

Installing his DV gear and chain upgrade in two weeks.......👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'll forget about running with George and the Texas boys. More boost, nitrous oxide, trick fuel and soft compound tires would not keep me on the same lap. The car will be wearing its road gear. Just two spare tires and their goosenecks weigh over 150 lbs. By the time the bumpers, lights and other gubbins are added, the car should weigh 4,868 lbs dry. Throw in fuel, oil, and a picnic hamper, and the pace car, piloted by Goofy, would be lapping me.

50 Goosneck weight copy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1