Removing map light and fan switch from dashboard on 49 Buick

Scott Farrington

As many of you know, I am parting out 8 41-49 Buicks and I am working on saving some dash parts for one of our members - he needs the Map Light assembly and the Blower Motor switch out of the dash, along with many brackets behind them.  Now, for the life of me, I cannot get the map light  switch separated from the chrome pull on the outside of the dash.  I don't want to break anything - can anyone steer me in the right direction with these two items? 

Knobs should have a small Allen head screw holding them to the shaft.  Once knobs are off the shaft, should be a notched tube type nut that sandwiches the dash material between the switch and the notched tube nut.  There is a tool for it, looks basically like a socket that has prongs sticking out of the end.  But usually can also be spun off using a flat head  screwdriver on an angle or with long low profile needle nose pliers.  Once nut and wires are removed from switch, should easily drop out from back side of dash.  On some switches, the shaft is also removable by putting a stiff piece of wire thru a hole in the side of the body of the switch mechanism.  Shaft is held in by spring tension.  Pushing the internal release should allow it to slide out.

Edited by beerczar1976
Added more to response (see edit history)