Tony Bal

65 riv ralley wheel restoration

23 hours ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Other than obvious bends/ dents on the outer rim of the wheel what else should one look for when trying to determine whether wheel is  good or not? Are these wheels repairable if damaged ? Thanks

You need to mount the wheel on a hub of your car and spin it and check for runout, or you can take it down to a tire store and they can chuck it up on their wheel balancer and check for runout.

The ONLY right way is to do what Winston says.

On 10/21/2019 at 6:15 AM, Turbinator said:

Bernie, I think they good. Adds a sport flair to the sedan. Turbinator

The '94 Roadmaster has wheelcovers, pretty easy to get. Experience had already taught me not to spend the time looking for a set of straight ones.

That Pontiac wheel being painted reminded me of one of my old rides, about 1984 or '85 I think. Not a Riviera, but a great little car. 305 four barrel, four speed. 14" Pontiac ralleys front, 15's rear. I was adamant about chrome trim rims rather than stainless.

I think the contours of those Pontiac wheel centers made them less prone to bending.

001.thumb.jpg.9051f72bf207bd40d402d0915a7f2d74.jpg

002.thumb.jpg.bbc222752b494395a8a84a086d831614.jpg

The “Sleeper”. Some fellows in my area in central Maryland would take a homely family sedan and put engine, transmission , rear end that would burn rubber on both wheels for a long way. You sometimes tell the front end sat lower and the rumble from the under the hood gave away the “ Sleeper”. Mercury had a sleeper known as The Maruder.