Radiator Emblems or Hood Ornaments that catch your eye

Mark Gregory

1 hour ago, 61polara said:

1942-1948 DeSoto.  This is the optional one that lights up when the lights are on.  The standard one was chrome, but the same.

Yes, that's right, but in 42 the plastic goddess was standard on all DeSotos.  It only became optional after the war.  What I don't know is did it come with the light up kit in 42?  I know it came with a light up kit in 46-48 because I have one.  There is a metal bracket that is made to hold the light bulb where two pieces of plastic come down so the light travels up in both directions to the front and rear of the goddess.  The goddess is not hollow but solid, unlike the Plymouth Mayflower sails.  

15 hours ago, zepher said:

I am very surprised to see so many collections that have the Hat-in-the-Ring Rickenbacker radiator emblem.

It's not exactly a very well known car and fewer than 40 are known to exist.

There are at least three different styles of Rickenbacker emblems as shown - there was also the winged one with an "8" in the center. They are a popular collectible because of the WW1 crossover appeal of the name. One thing with radiator emblems, there are a lot more emblems out there than cars to put them on. They were small and attractive items that were saved and displayed early on long before anyone cared about saving the cars themselves.

rick1017.JPG

rick2507.JPG

DSCF3598 - Copy.JPG

3 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

There are at least three different styles of Rickenbacker emblems as shown - there was also the winged one with an "8" in the center. They are a popular collectible because of the WW1 crossover appeal of the name. One thing with radiator emblems, there are a lot more emblems out there than cars to put them on. They were small and attractive items that were saved and displayed early on long before anyone cared about saving the cars themselves.

rick1017.JPG

rick2507.JPG

DSCF3598 - Copy.JPG

The square emblem is from the early cars.

My car has the Hat-in-the-Ring emblem in your middle picture.

Didn't the emblems with wings go on the roadsters?

I know the 8 with wings was on the Super Sport radiator.

I have a lapel pin of the early emblem and I'd like to find a winged emblem to go with my other stuff I have for the car.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RAH said:

Wow so many beautiful mascots and badges. Here is one that I know for certain is 'One of a Kind' because I made it. Enjoy!

DB Radiator Mascot 02.jpg

DB Radiator Mascot 01.jpg

Wow, that is beautiful!  One of the rarest Dodge Brothers ornaments is this type below. I stupidly sold this one because it had one crack in it then found out they are almost non-existent due to being made from very bad early pot metal. I have a spare set of the center emblems but have never found a decent base for them.

db1126.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

Wow, that is beautiful!  One of the rarest Dodge Brothers ornaments is this type below. I stupidly sold this one because it had one crack in it then found out they are almost non-existent due to being made from very bad early pot metal. I have a spare set of the center emblems but have never found a decent base for them.

Don,

DB accesory Mascot.JPG

DB Radiator Mascot.jpg

Edited by RAH
Add words (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:08 PM, RAH said:

Don,

DB accesory Mascot.JPG

DB Radiator Mascot.jpg

Sorry, I could not get the Bloody machine to let me add text. Probably my  fault. Anyway the one here on my car is a reproduced copy in an aluminum alloy. Unfortunately the unit I used as a pattern has continued to deteriorate and is no longer a viable pattern. I my have another not so completely turned to 'pot'. The last time the foundry said not to bring another as he had to make three to finally get one usable. I believe it has to do with the draw between the upper and lower core boxes. So I will try to block the pass through between the spokes and finish the work after the casting is pulled from the molds. I did make a modified end mill to relieve the recess for the medallion. More later.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RAH said:

Sorry, I could not get the Bloody machine to let me add text. Probably my  fault. Anyway the one here on my car is a reproduced copy in an aluminum alloy. Unfortunately the unit I used as a pattern has continued to deteriorate and is no longer a viable pattern. I my have another not so completely turned to 'pot'. The last time the foundry said not to bring another as he had to make three to finally get one usable. I believe it has to do with the draw between the upper and lower core boxes. So I will try to block the pass through between the spokes and finish the work after the casting is pulled from the molds. I did make a modified end mill to relieve the recess for the medallion. More later.

That repro unit is very nice and looks original. I have two unplated cast brass repros that are very rough and need finishing. Someday when I have a lot of spare time I'm going to hand finish one, have it nickeled and install the pair of center emblems I have.