Rear End identification ?

I bought this rear end the other day for my 33 Plymouth from a man who said it came out of a 1933 Plymouth Coupe but that it wasn't stock.  It has 3.58 stamped on it (hope that's the ratio) and then a casting number of 600211-13 and it has bolts with the DB logo cast into the heads.  It needs a new pinion seal so I'm wondering if anyone has a book that can identify this rear end so I can order a new seal ?  I'm also wondering what vehicle may have donated it. It has 10 x 1.5" drums.

1 33 plym 8 (2).png

1 33 plym 9a.jpg

Good morning Reg,

Possibly the ratio, however I have never seen it displayed that way.

Best and easiest is to mark the pinion and axles and count turns.

With both wheels turning the same direction and at the same speed, one rev of the axle will result in the ratio in turns of the pinion.

In this case you would want the pinion to turn a little over three and a half times for each rotation of the axle.

It is critical that the wheels (axle) turn equally and in the same direction.

Probably stuff you already know but my three cents worth. ;)

• Like 1

Usually the seal will have a part number, At least these days cars do.

Not positive on your as its a mystery anyway.

But it seems that I always ruin the number taking the seal out.

If you remove the yoke and the seal looks like it has a metal outer like they use these days you may be able to clean it up and find a number while its still in there.

A trick to remove. Drill a small hole in the metal part and run a screw in the hole. You may be able to pull the seal with a claw hammer or crows foot on that screw.

I have done this many times and it much easier than two screw drivers which usually makes it difficult to measure the seal if it doesn't have a number.

Yes, on a non posi rear end the wheels tend to run in opposite directions. This can be over come with a little muscle. Easier with wheels on for leverage. Mark both sides for accuracy.

• Like 1

The other way to determine the ratio is to drain the oil, remove the back cover and count the teeth on the crown wheel and pinion.

What is the wheel bolt circle diameter?

33 PC, PE (different to PC), 34 PG, PF (different to '33 and later) and a raft of Dodge, Plymouth and Chryslers of that vintage and later, had 10" drums. 1935-on were 2" wide; maybe they were in 1934 too.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The axle housing for '33 Dodge DP, DQ was 600198 so the casting number 600211 certainly fits in that range. Maybe it is off a Dodge truck of about 1933?

Did Dodge put the ratio on a tag under one of the cover or differential bolts?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 42319DB34 said:

35 teeth on ring gear / 8 teeth on pinion gear = 4.375 likely out for a sedan . 

Coupes were 4.125 final drive 

35-8 was used in 1933, 34, 35 and 1936. This is from the Republic gear catalog "S".