American movie

sebastienbuick

Hello, I recently buy American movie.
I first buy the film "National Lampoon's Vacation", I did not know at all is I really like this movie, during all the film I watch the architecture of buildings, cars, landscapes, panels of signaling, the clothes of the characters, the restaurants, ... I find that superb :wub: . I like seeing that they cross the city of "Dodge city", this city really exists?
I love to cross Arizona too, the scenery is beautiful.
At first we see a break Oldsmobile (vista cruiser?) Year end 60, in the film this olds ended badly, pity she was beautiful :wub: .
And their new green estate (Ford LTD 1975?) Is really nice ;) 
In the film we can see beautiful American car of the year 80 (Lincoln, Ford, ...)
At one point when they go to see the family we can see a magnificent Imperial of the year 60, she is superb :wub: .
I really like this film, because of the story and all the landscapes.
I saw that there was another episode of this film that was made around 2017, I bought it and it really is the sequel ;) .
I also saw that there was another film (the sequel) done in the year 80, can you tell me in what order are the films and titles?
thank you ;) 

SAM_2911.thumb.JPG.9529eab1d8e602fccbbc46e303480971.JPG

I also bought the movie "American Graffiti" (I watched it last night  :)  ) .
I did not know this movie and I loved it, I really like this movie :wub: :wub: :wub: .
I really would like to live in America from the 50's as in this movie :wub:
I really love life in the 50's that there is in this film, Rockabilly years, cars, restaurants, streets, the city, car parks, not to mention the pin-up ! ;) 
A time that I would have liked to live.
Life had to be great :wub: 
SAM_2913.thumb.JPG.beca754480e7e70e2b38d05ea2b704f3.JPG

I also buy the movie "More American Graffiti", the one I have not seen, probably tonight :)

SAM_2914.thumb.JPG.c5cb4c91afd11693b08c78f0e2f93871.JPG 
I buy other film just to see the landscapes and cars like for example "bootleggers".
I also have the movies "Christine", "sheriff makes me afraid" (general lee), "gone in 60 seconds", "boulevard of death", ...
Do you have other American film recommended me?
Thank you :) 

Please remember that movies are fiction!

They present impossible ideals, or on the other extreme,

depravity all concentrated in one place.

Remember that life for nearly everyone is ordinary and routine,

and that ordinary unexciting life is more enjoyable than

the movies could possibly show.

• Thanks 1

Hi @sebastienbuick the other National Lampoon's "Vacation" movies are European Vacation, Christmas Vacation, and Vegas Vacation. None of those are really car/travel heavy, with exception to European Vacation where they trek across Europe. They are all very funny though, if you enjoyed the humor of the other two you've watched.

Canonball Run is another fun movie. Grand Theft Auto is another one with Ron Howard. The Outsiders was adapted from a book but features the fifties culture, but not too much on the cars, but it might strike your fancy.

• Thanks 1

No car movie list is complete without:

1*59I-lGLdI8enJxoHASMxUA.jpeg

The movie itself is just meh but there are 15 minutes right in the middle that'll really get your heart racing. And it's always neat to see all kinds of '50s and '60s cars in the background just being normal, everyday cars.

(Watch for the hit man's driver buckling his seat belt--things are about to get very serious.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few you could probably google to see a preview of that have some good old car and or vintage style hot rod action are

Cry Baby

Grease

Hot rod  (From 1979) There is also a 50's one in black and white I used to watch for the cars

The California Kid

Can't beat the Andy Griffith Show for small town life in America. 

The Walton's has a few cars but again flashback to a simpler time in America.

There are the Corny Beach movies that I watched probably too many times including Beach Blanket Bingo, Bakini Beach, and Muscle beach party.   One is based on a bunch of drag racing but i can't remember which one. 

Loving You , I think was one of the early Elvis Movies with alot of scenes of him driving a hot rod. 

Kid Gallahad has him fixing up an Old Model T? (I haven't seen it in years) 

There were a bunch of hot rodding movies in the late 50's with early rock and roll and some vintage hot rodding. 

Palm Springs Weekend cars girl and music circa 1963. 

It's a Mad Mad Mad world has lots of cars as well.  That's early 60's as well. 

There was a series Elvis the early years that had alot of cars in it. 

One could probably list movies all day if they thought long enough.   

There were some great earlier 30's and 40's Movies that had alot of car action as well. 

• Thanks 1

Genevieve, 1953 British film with actual footage from the London to Brighton run is my favourite.  A line from the movie is when two ladies are talking and one says Ambrose only cares about that silly old car and the other thing.  Wendy says "what is the other thing, oh, Alan only cares about the car."  There is a scene which still plays out, after the run there is a dinner dance and the men are talking about carburetors and self generating lamps and their wives look on in sheer boredom.  Many more funny scenes, Gary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For some strange reason a clip from Stand By Me just popped up on my computer out of nowhere.  Not a bad movie with a good soundtrack from the era.  Some old Cars as well as it's set in the late 50's. 

Another 50's Movie Drag Strip Girl and Hot Rod Girl.

Hollywood nights as well.  Similar to  American Graffiti.

You also have Happy Days of Course when you get to TV shows.  Leave it to Beaver and Ozzie and Harriet have a few car oriented shows.

Somehow I have never seen a single episode but route 66 from the 60's (tv show) has alot of cars in it.   

Also can't forget Thunder Road with Robert Mitchum.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:
...And their new green estate (Ford LTD 1975?)...

You mean the "Speed Queen Family Truckster"?  :D

I'm old enough to have lived American Graffiti.  The movie was a pretty accurate portrayal but remember, it was only a narrow slice of life at the time.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Please remember that movies are fiction!

They present impossible ideals, or on the other extreme,

depravity all concentrated in one place.

Remember that life for nearly everyone is ordinary and routine,

and that ordinary unexciting life is more enjoyable than

the movies could possibly show.

yes I doubt that in real life it was not quite the same, movies are like that ;) 

6 hours ago, durant frank said:

If you like the older cars from the 20's to 30's then "Bonnie & Clyde" is excellent.  Also the Canadian TV series "Wind at My Back"

6 hours ago, mreilly44 said:

Hi @sebastienbuick the other National Lampoon's "Vacation" movies are European Vacation, Christmas Vacation, and Vegas Vacation. None of those are really car/travel heavy, with exception to European Vacation where they trek across Europe. They are all very funny though, if you enjoyed the humor of the other two you've watched.

Canonball Run is another fun movie. Grand Theft Auto is another one with Ron Howard. The Outsiders was adapted from a book but features the fifties culture, but not too much on the cars, but it might strike your fancy.

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

A few you could probably google to see a preview of that have some good old car and or vintage style hot rod action are

Cry Baby

Grease

Hot rod  (From 1979) There is also a 50's one in black and white I used to watch for the cars

The California Kid

Can't beat the Andy Griffith Show for small town life in America. 

The Walton's has a few cars but again flashback to a simpler time in America.

There are the Corny Beach movies that I watched probably too many times including Beach Blanket Bingo, Bakini Beach, and Muscle beach party.   One is based on a bunch of drag racing but i can't remember which one. 

Loving You , I think was one of the early Elvis Movies with alot of scenes of him driving a hot rod. 

Kid Gallahad has him fixing up an Old Model T? (I haven't seen it in years) 

There were a bunch of hot rodding movies in the late 50's with early rock and roll and some vintage hot rodding. 

Palm Springs Weekend cars girl and music circa 1963. 

It's a Mad Mad Mad world has lots of cars as well.  That's early 60's as well. 

There was a series Elvis the early years that had alot of cars in it. 

One could probably list movies all day if they thought long enough.   

There were some great earlier 30's and 40's Movies that had alot of car action as well. 

3 hours ago, cxgvd said:

Genevieve, 1953 British film with actual footage from the London to Brighton run is my favourite.  A line from the movie is when two ladies are talking and one says Ambrose only cares about that silly old car and the other thing.  Wendy says "what is the other thing, oh, Alan only cares about the car."  There is a scene which still plays out, after the run there is a dinner dance and the men are talking about carburetors and self generating lamps and their wives look on in sheer boredom.  Many more funny scenes, Gary

3 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

You could even buy box sets of television shows.... I like sixty's and seventy's programs ( ADAM-12, MANNIX, Rockford Files, EMERGENCY ! etc... )  I enjoy looking at the vehicles !

Steve

image.png.f13bb7aba0dbcd4baf87eaf84043bba8.png

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

For some strange reason a clip from Stand By Me just popped up on my computer out of nowhere.  Not a bad movie with a good soundtrack from the era.  Some old Cars as well as it's set in the late 50's. 

Another 50's Movie Drag Strip Girl and Hot Rod Girl.

Hollywood nights as well.  Similar to  American Graffiti.

You also have Happy Days of Course when you get to TV shows.  Leave it to Beaver and Ozzie and Harriet have a few car oriented shows.

Somehow I have never seen a single episode but route 66 from the 60's (tv show) has alot of cars in it.   

Also can't forget Thunder Road with Robert Mitchum.  

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

You mean the "Speed Queen Family Truckster"?  :D

I'm old enough to have lived American Graffiti.  The movie was a pretty accurate portrayal but remember, it was only a narrow slice of life at the time.

A big thanks to all of you ! :) , I do not know of any film that you have advised me and I write on a sheet all the titles of films that you have said.
I will eventually watch for each film if there is a translated version in French :) .
Thank you so much :) 

5 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

No car movie list is complete without:

1*59I-lGLdI8enJxoHASMxUA.jpeg

The movie itself is just meh but there are 15 minutes right in the middle that'll really get your heart racing. And it's always neat to see all kinds of '50s and '60s cars in the background just being normal, everyday cars.

(Watch for the hit man's driver buckling his seat belt--things are about to get very serious.)

Thank you Matt Harwood :) , but I forgot to mention it, but I saw the movie Bullitt ;) , a great movie with a great car chase with a Mustang and a Charger !  :)

3 hours ago, Bloo said:

Lots of 50s and early 60s cars in "Crime story", made in the 80s but set in 1963-64

Thank you Bloo :) , this movie looks great ! :) , the music is superb, the cars too and the landscapes too !  :)  

• Like 1

"American Graffiti" really does catch the spirit of the times. That's why it has lasted. If it were not an accurate depiction it would have been swept away long ago. The movie had to pick a particular location, and time. This was George Lucus' personal story, from his youth in Modesto, albeit condensed and dramatized, to have all taken place in one night.  Many of the vignettes would have been playing out, in countless small towns across the country, on any given weekend.  

• Like 1

"The Blues Brothers" is one of the best American police documentaries you will find. Lots of good Chicago city backgrounds. Some political statements that are still relevant today included. I watch it very time I can.

For scenery, you can't beat "Shaker Run", great shots crossing New Zealand.

And, neck and neck with The Blues Brothers is "Vanishing Point", a real western US tour.

The Blues Brothers, good music and action.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

"American Graffiti" really does catch the spirit of the times. That's why it has lasted. If it were not an accurate depiction it would have been swept away long ago. The movie had to pick a particular location, and time. This was George Lucus' personal story, from his youth in Modesto, albeit condensed and dramatized, to have all taken place in one night.  Many of the vignettes would have been playing out, in countless small towns across the country, on any given weekend.  

2 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

I like the Godfather series, lots of old cars especially in Godfather 2.

26 minutes ago, alsancle said:

1.  American Graffiti.

2.  Return to Macon County.

3.  Hot Rod (1979)

Done.

Thank you to all of you ! I will note all this ! ;) .

13 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

"The Blues Brothers" is one of the best American police documentaries you will find. Lots of good Chicago city backgrounds. Some political statements that are still relevant today included. I watch it very time I can.

For scenery, you can't beat "Shaker Run", great shots crossing New Zealand.

And, neck and neck with The Blues Brothers is "Vanishing Point", a real western US tour.

The Blues Brothers, good music and action.

the video is excellent, I found it great, thank you ! :)
what are the police cars ? Dodge Monaco? 
I already saw "vanishing point", a very good movie ;) 

18 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

"The Blues Brothers" is one of the best American police documentaries you will find. Lots of good Chicago city backgrounds. Some political statements that are still relevant today included. 

I wonder what that little kid did? The one in the MASH 4077 shirt.

• Like 1

Sebastien, 

When I was a street-racing teenager in 1971, my friends and I all loved a car movie called THE VANISHING POINT. It's about a guy who gets paid to drive new high-performance cars clear across the country, and deliver them to new owners in a hurry! 

He delivers a Chrysler Imperial to Denver, but wants to take off again immediately delivering his next assignment...a white 1970 Dodge Challenger RT with 440 magnum engine. He drives it way too fast, outrunning cops in state after state, and having all kinds of dangerous adventures. 

It's one of those "film noir" flicks, but worth watching if you like hot American cars, and the US culture of the late 1960's and early 1970's. 

Cheers! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lump said:

Sebastien, 

When I was a street-racing teenager in 1971, my friends and I all loved a car movie called THE VANISHING POINT. It's about a guy who gets paid to drive new high-performance cars clear across the country, and deliver them to new owners in a hurry! 

He delivers a Chrysler Imperial to Denver, but wants to take off again immediately delivering his next assignment...a white 1970 Dodge Challenger RT with 440 magnum engine. He drives it way too fast, outrunning cops in state after state, and having all kinds of dangerous adventures. 

It's one of those "film noir" flicks, but worth watching if you like hot American cars, and the US culture of the late 1960's and early 1970's. 

Cheers! 

Thank you very much;), I really like American cars, and I love watching old American movies or you can see old cars.
Same films of the 90/95 year, because we see chevrolet caprice 1990 (about), ford Crown Victoria, chevrolet impala, Buick Park Avenue, ...., cars that we do not see in France, we can see only a few old car show

• Like 1

Not a movie, a TV series I always liked was "Highway Patrol" with Broderick Crawford mid-late 50s. His patrol cars were Oldsmobiles and Buicks and lots of 30s and 40s cars in the background(main reason I watched). "Vanishing Point",  was the first movie that I remember that started out at the end (just before the crash) then flashes back to the beginning and everything that happened leading up to that point.

• Like 1

Jelly bean Impalas can be fun Jean Reno drives one in Godzilla. Also in France in Ronin & lots of fast cars. But for '50s Americana try  "Pleasantville". Vanishing Point was well done, they only used a Hycam with the Jag. Unfortunately the American version usually has many cuts including the whole Charlotte Rampling scene. Fortunately it is not a Challenger that gets destroyed.

For great '50s cars scenes try "Johnnie Dark" (1954) and "the Fast and the Furious" (1954). For '60s Formula 1, "Grand Prix".  "Gumball Rally" stands by itself as a tribute to the NMSL (full cut has the Jag scenes but the sounds in NYC make the movie), later efforts ("CannonBall Run") can be entertaining. Are really hundreds of great (and not so great) Car Movies.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Not a movie, a TV series I always liked was "Highway Patrol" with Broderick Crawford mid-late 50s. His patrol cars were Oldsmobiles and Buicks and lots of 30s and 40s cars in the background(main reason I watched). "Vanishing Point",  was the first movie that I remember that started out at the end (just before the crash) then flashes back to the beginning and everything that happened leading up to that point.

18 hours ago, padgett said:

Jelly bean Impalas can be fun Jean Reno drives one in Godzilla. Also in France in Ronin & lots of fast cars. But for '50s Americana try  "Pleasantville". Vanishing Point was well done, they only used a Hycam with the Jag. Unfortunately the American version usually has many cuts including the whole Charlotte Rampling scene. Fortunately it is not a Challenger that gets destroyed.

For great '50s cars scenes try "Johnnie Dark" (1954) and "the Fast and the Furious" (1954). For '60s Formula 1, "Grand Prix".  "Gumball Rally" stands by itself as a tribute to the NMSL (full cut has the Jag scenes but the sounds in NYC make the movie), later efforts ("CannonBall Run") can be entertaining. Are really hundreds of great (and not so great) Car Movies.

ah ok thanks to you ;) 
I saw vanishing point with this very beautiful white Dodge Challenger, and indeed in the end it is not this Dodge that is destroyed ;) .
Thank you for the titles of the movies! ;) 

16 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Some cool old cars in this one. Some fun now!:lol:

Thank you I did not know either, it seems to be a funny movie   :lol: , and we see beautiful American cars of the year 50 :wub:

16 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I have expressed some concerns to the State Police and the News networks about what I think could be happening. No cars in this clip, I am sure some of the people did drive to the meeting. Best clip I can find to touch on the concern. I hope I am wrong. Still waiting Idaho.

15 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

6 hours ago, padgett said:

Good part starts around 1:20

Thank you for the video, I do not know and it looks great ! ;) 

On 8/31/2019 at 8:17 AM, pont35cpe said:

Not a movie, a TV series I always liked was "Highway Patrol" with Broderick Crawford mid-late 50s.

To get the real American flavor don't miss the music.

And the same singer has this little tune that I am particularly fond of, but that's a whole other story.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

To get the real American flavor don't miss the music.

And the same singer has this little tune that I am particularly fond of, but that's a whole other story.

Oh yeah!! You can`t beat Jr Brown and his over under, 6 string on top and steel on bottom, guitar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgreen said:

I think Highway Patrol was so low budget that they filmed live on some street scenes. 

Many of the scenes with Broderick Crawford driving were done on dirt private dirt roads in the valleys to avoid him getting a ticket for driving under the influence. Check out how many dirt road scenes there are in the collection!

And check out the tough guy in the middle. Literally a stellar performer. The Blood Money episode.

image.png.255753f1cd3440e7502984cca4af1e47.png