Millennial explains how to drive an XK120

1935Packard

In this 12-minute video, a self-described "naive, spoon-fed millennial" explains to an audience with no background in classic cars what it is like to learn to drive one.  Nothing new for us, but a reminder of how what is standard to us is strange to a lot of people.  (Ignore the "172 MPH" thing, it's just a hook to get the kids to click on it.)

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thank you! The 120 Coupe is a car I'd like to have, even a rough project. Bob 

How tall are you? There isn't much room in those. I had a chance to buy a "project" xk-120 fixed head coupe quite reasonable in the mid 1990s. I could not get in it and get the door shut. I am 6'3". Despite that, there are very few cars I cannot drive. I'm fine in open Jaguars of that era. I'm fine in Honda 600s, Fiat 600s, Saab Sonetts and Minis. Spridgets, too (although getting in is a bit awkward). That Jag was completely undriveable.

Great video. Even though he is exaggerating some of the "millennial" stuff you can tell he really likes that car. His reaction is very similar to my reaction driving my first prewar car - a little bit of freakout but mostly amazement and satisfaction with the direct mechanical and sensory experience of the drive. I bet a whole lot of younger folks would have the same reaction if they actually had the chance to drive an older car.

• Like 3

First Old Car I ever got to drive or for that matter ever even ride in was the one I bought.  You either want it bad enough you'll make it happen or you don't.  Of course I set my Sights a little low to start with a 56 olds and not a 57 Belair convertible.  You have to balance budget with desire to make it happen.  Yes I want a Duessy,  will it happen,  who knows,  but there are alot of steps to enjoy on the ladder on the way up. No sense in not trying to live some of the dream. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

What would an Allard do back then?  Not so much a regular production car though. 

You would need to check old SCCA records, they did race side by side, ARDUN and Cadillac powered, I'd like to have one along side my Jaguar XK120 coupe. 😁

Bob

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ok, one typo so what was faster off the factory floor in 1950-53?

I reacted to the video, where he called it the "fastest car of the 1950s" and "the Bugatti Veyron of the 1950s".
Not sure why you're limiting the criteria to a 3 year span only (and there; only going earlier than this car).

I'm seeing online specs stating the XK-120 was good for 112 MPH. Dozens and dozens of cars in the '50s were faster than that.

Having had one, I liked my '59 XK150s the best of the early XKs. Triple carbs, rollup windows, 4 wheel disks, and a disappearing top. Bet just the gold head and triple HD-8s would make it faster than even aK-120M, particularly with overdrive. That said I suspect a Ferrari 410 or 490 Superfast or SuperAmerica, Facel Vega HK-500 with the dual quad hemi, or even a Maser 3500GTI (all pre-1960 production cars) would leave a production XK-120 in the dust. If modified as mentioned in the text perhaps a '57 Jag XK-SS would leave even an alloy 120 far behind.

He also left out the 18" spanner needed to reach under and tap the Lucas fuel pumps into operation.

ps after heating and straightening the shift lever it would speed-shift nicely and double clutching was only needed to get the Moss box into first at 25.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

I do not understand the comment re rack and pinion steering. The 120 was considered the fastest off the showroom floor production car until the Vettes. I drove a 140 DHC as my faily driver for over a year in '68-'69. Also had a 150S for a few years

Sold the S but still have the 140. 

• Like 1

My Wonderbread years (Age 5 to 15) were spent in the Ivy League town of Princeton NJ.   We had a neighbor with a Jaguar XK 120 Roadster who was a hockey player at Brown University.  I remember on visits home with that copper colored roadster, it was an awesome vehicle.  Mostly driven with the fender skirts on, it was very low and sleek.

In the snow he would take the skirts off and drive with chains, which even then I thought was crazy.