In need of C-24/25 oil pump/parts

21raceabout

Cleaned up th oil pump on my 1915 C-25 project and was disappointed to find heavy wear on the bronze gear (ID and OD), shaft (which appears to be integral with the housing) and the housing itself.  How a pump which is supposed to be immersed in oil has so much wear is a bit of a mystery.  I studied up on geared pumps and it would appear that the pump still delivered pressure because as the bronze gear shifted away from the steel driving gear, it's OD continued to rub on the housing resulting in tight clearance preventing by-pass leakage.  This wore ~0.050" off the OD of the gear.  If I true up the shaft and put a bushing into the ID of the bronze gear, to re-establish it's original center, that will open up the clearance between the (worn) bronze gear and (worn) housing, losing pump effiiency (proportional to the gap cubed... similar to the importance of minimizing blade tip clearance in a turbo-fan engine).  I considered ways of replacing the worn material in the housing using brass shims or even babbitt, but before I do that was wondering if anyone has a spare pump or parts (bronze gear, housing) they would be willing to sell.  Also looking for a push rod for the same engine if anyone has a spare before I go off and make one.

Thanks... 

IMG_3293.JPG

I would say that you have two options.  One would be to bore out the hole and put in an insert/bushing.  Second would be to have a new gear made. 

My first selection would be to put the gear on a lathe, bore it out, and insert a sleeve/bushing. 

I had gears made for my '08 Buick because the teeth were worn.

It looks to me that the gear housing is worn as much the gear bore and pin.  To salvage the housing you would need machine a bronze block and attach it to the gear housing, bore the housing for a good fit with the gear and replace the fixed pin.  Lots of millwork to salvage that pump.

Bob Engle