Wanted 89 With WORKING Touch Screen Dash *DELETED*

Thanks for the offer but I am really looking for a 1989 with touch screen Burg / Tan.

Your Reatta has 210,000 miles on her?

WOW the LITTLE OLD LADY from Pasadena really gets around! <VBG>

Guest Brolliar

Karlton, welcome to the forum. We have had our 89 Reatta since 1994 and really enjoy it. The touch screen was a significant factor in our buying it. We wish our other cars had one. One location that lists a lot of Reatta's is http://autotrader.com/ . I like autotrader because you can narrow the search to those cars within a certain distance of your zip code and with the advanced search option also narrow by body style, color etc.

I went to the RC (Radio Controlled) site http://www.ZenoahSPEEDWAY.com/ you referenced and was impressed. Here in Huntsville, Alabama we have a very active RC airport with a paved runway. It is really fun to see a jet go zooming by or a multiengine WWII plane.

Good Luck with your search.

Thanks for the heads up! I have wanted a Reatta from the time they came out but never acted out. I have a thing for coupes.

The best car I ever owned was a 74 BMW 3.0CS Coupe

The reatta has the same sort of look plus a hand made American car had me hooked. Can you say Mid Life? LOL from a guy who sells toys for a living. <VBG> What do we do for a mid life crises grow up?

IF you like R/C my other web page is http://www.MultiplexRC.com I import R/C planes from Germany.

Next stop Autotrader.

Guest Geoff Meador

Karlton,

You might also keep your eyes open for a nice 1988 as well. Like the 1989 models, they have the CRT touchscreen.

If you're lucky, you might find one with the early suede-trimmed seats. Best of luck to you.

plus

frown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.gif brakes $300 to $4,000 frown.gif

frown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gif Air $125 to $2,000 frown.gifcrazy.gif

frown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.gif heater $10 to $1,000 frown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gif

frown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gif leather $700 to $2,000 frown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.gif

frown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.gif headliner $250 frown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gif

frown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gif paint $260 to $2,500 frown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.gif

frown.gifcrazy.gif plus "lots of little imperfections that I am forgetting to list" $$$$$ frown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gif

frown.gif Engine ready for water pump and timing chain? frown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.giffrown.gifcrazy.gif

Forum rule of thumb - don't even begin to think about a Reatta with more than 1 problem. blush.gifconfused.gifcrazy.gifblush.gifconfused.gifcrazy.gifblush.gifconfused.gifcrazy.gifblush.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">[color:\\"red\\"] <span style="font-weight: bold"> You could/will become one of the most frequent posters on the forum. </span> </span>

Guest Greg Ross

Hate to see people get taken to the cleaners-

$600. for a CRT. $125. and 20 minutes to R & R. That is a very exclusive Mechanic he's got, charging at th rate of about $1425./ Hr.

He also failed to mention the Power Antenna doesn't work. The side view image also shows the RR Fender Well has been repainted (Very Badly) Suspect Rust Rot that's been perhaps only cosmetically repaired. Very Poor Color Match is evident of a "Cheap Fix" Be Wery Wery Wary! wink.gif

Guest Brolliar

EDBSO and GM Ross are wise, know Reattas and give good advise. For someone in the Boston area that has driven the car, checked it closely for additional rust problems (especially under the car) and other problems like the timing chain etc, enjoys working on cars or has friends or family that do and is willing to visit auto junk yards for parts as needed to keep his costs down then maybe it might be a buy if the price does not rise much. At the current price in the extreme you could part the car out on ebay and probably make your money back . Probably the biggest unknown that could be expensive is the electronics and the brakes (see http://www.reatta.net/brakes.html for brake information.

The car is at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871765437 on ebay.

WOW dodged a big one there. THANKS! I was about to up my bid..

Oaky who is a good Reatta person in Los Angeles to screen a car?

I own a LAFORZA so I sort of know how hand made cars have their own personalities and quirks. smirk.gif

I wouldn't buy an older car from the Northeast unless it is in MINT condition and has been obviously babied. Between the salting of the roads in the winter, the high traffic density and the bumpercar driving mentality we have here, the likelihood of getting a "good" car is significantly less probable than when purchasing a car from elsewhere. It's just a really tough environment to keep a car in peak condition.

I found my '89 Reatta on Ebay, it was located in Knoxville TN and appeared to be in good shape; I flew down signed some paperwork and drove her home. Sure, she needed some fixing (wear items mostly) but was operable and most importantly rust-free.

Seeing how you live in the promised land for car preservation, if you are patient I'm sure something suitable will become available eventually.

Good Luck!

Guest Greg Ross

Karlton,

Failed to welcome you aboard (in the nautical sense) Have been playing with R/C for about 30 yrs, flying gear has been stored for several years but I will get back to it. Last couple of years I've been quite mobile and have an East Coast 12-60" inch Sloop I tinker with.(fits in the Reatta with the hatch down) Own a Weekender Sail Boat way up North and do several trips a year to the BVI's chartering 40-45 footers for real R & R.

Based on your work endevours I think you'll find the Reatta a challenging and rewarding Hobby interest.

Greg wink.gif

From a sailor to another I bow in your direction!

I think the Reatta will be great for R/C toys. I mostly fly sailplanes. For my larger planes I have the Laforza to haul them but for 2m to 3m planes the Reatta will be fine.

I have a 633CSI (OLD BEATER) that has to go to a better place. wink.gif

(Needs paint, Interior and other things but drives great)

The '88 and '89 both have the touch screen. '88 has a remote control glove box along with the gas flap and trunk release bottons on the center stack along with the headlamp retract and fog light controls. Hood ornament is smaller on the '88 and the "R" logo horn button is in black and white vs. the '89s color sunburst horn button. Early '88s had suede side panels on the seats (see GMRoss' post for a picture of what that looks like) .

HMMMM... Maybe it was a running change then. there are two '88s on Ebay that have the steering wheel visable.

This one has the black and white horn button(VIN 1882):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872104053

And this one has the color horn button (VIN 4299):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872062081

The '88 Reatta-only brochure shows the black and white horn button as well.

Guest Greg Ross

Betsy Blue Vin 1942 has the (actually) Black and Silver. Emblem is aluminium painted black with the ring profiles polished off to expose the base material same as the rest of the interior hard panels- dash/ Doors, etc. grin.gif

Guest Brolliar

So I am thinking LAFORZA Laforza what is a Laforza??? So I did a search and came up with the following addresses with Laforza pictures which I thought might be useful to others.

http://www.laforza.com/newlaforzas.html

http://www.laforza.com/

Car and Driver and Road and Track say good thing about the Laforza SUV. Just don't see many of them in north Alabama. I will look around for one next time I am in Dallas.

My late 88 is about the same as the Blue one (blue interiors got first ?) but think a lot of what appears to be silver is actually reflection. Had to be on yet another airplane yesterday or would have tried to post something.

Guest Geoff Meador

padgett,

The horn button may have been a running change, as suggested earlier. My 1988 has the black/silver button.

The major difference is not the coloring, but the materials. It's not a nice "medallion" like others. It is a seemingly cheaper "stamped" part. The materials sort of resemble the look and feel of the other switches in the car, like the seat adjustment panel. It looks like black plastic and aluminum.

I think we all do. BTW, I hope no one here is bidding on the blue '88 currently up there.

I love the over-reaching ad copy on some of these listings

Example:

[color:\\"red\\"]

WOW! This is finally your chance to own the car of your dreams. This baby doll is virtually flawless. The body and paint are gorgeous. The interior is excellent. And Mechanically, it runs like the Space Shuttle. You get every luxury power option .No matter how hard to try, You will never find a more well kept vehicle. Who ever wins this 1988 BUICK REATTA is getting the deal of a lifetime.

[color:\\"black\\"]

The picture above of the horn button (which was lifted from this auction) shows that the dreaded ABS warning light is on, the headlights-up pic shows that the parking lights aren't working, the interior is stained, weathered and dirty, rear lens is extremely weathered, the drivers' armrest looks to have a crack, the 16-way seat control is hanging by one screw and is mis-located and finally, it is missing a hub cap.

[color:\\"red\\"] But other than that, (and whatever else is wrong with it), <span style="font-weight: bold">it is virtually flawless! grin.gif </span>

For $1,025.00 the car wouldn't be that bad of a buy. grin.gif

I think you can lower your maximum bid to that level without any reprecussions and someone is sure to out-bid you given the amount of time left on the auction and the low dollar value of the bidding so far.