1941 rear wheel shield removal

valk

Greetings all,

Anybody know the procedure to safely remove the rear wheel "shields" on '41s? There must be hooks in there somewhere...I came across this in a past thread, perportedly for 1948s. Does it

apply?

Peter

post-30843-143138980304_thumb.jpg

No its totally different on a 41. There is just a lever on the backside close to the surface and you reach behind the skirt and give it a yank and it retracts the flat bar stock that catchs the back top edge of the fender. It is a very simple mechanism. The bottom corners are held in place by a simple pair of brackets that catch the fender. 

Thanks Lawrence and Neil. I got it off. One has to grab the lever/bar on the backside of the cover and swing it down from 2:00 to about 7:00. The top of the cover is then released and then you gently pull/slide the whole cover rearward to fully release. I didn't have to loosen any bolts. Hope putting it back on is as easy. 

And henceforth Lawrence shall be known as Lawrence "Redline" Helfand for his role in unveiling the proper color of '41 fuel lines!

buickrearwheel.JPG

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2019 at 12:48 PM, valk said:

Thanks Lawrence and Neil. I got it off. One has to grab the lever/bar on the backside of the cover and swing it down from 2:00 to about 7:00. The top of the cover is then released and then you gently pull/slide the whole cover rearward to fully release. I didn't have to loosen any bolts. Hope putting it back on is as easy. 

And henceforth Lawrence shall be known as Lawrence "Redline" Helfand for his role in unveiling the proper color of '41 fuel lines!

buickrearwheel.JPG

I didn't trust the clips, so I had my restorer install a wingnut and bolt through the back clip to assure a solid connection.  This helps to keep anybody from stealing the skirts and keeps sudden jars, like running over a rough railroad track from jiggling one off.....just a  precaution.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 3