1928 Buick tires

Just bought a rough but complete 1928 Buick Brougham 4 door sedan, dual side mounts, and wire wheels. Strange tire size: 800 x 21. Seems awfully large.  Anyone out there have an idea if this is actually the correct tire size for the car? All responses gratefully appreciated. Thanks

1928 Buick Brougham.jpg

Maybe 600/650-21's? I don't think those nice rims are wide enough to accomodate 800-21's, if such a tire is made. Seems to me wheel diameters got smaller before tires got that tall/wide. The earliest car I can think of that used 800-series tires is a '39 Packard V-12, and those tires are enormous. Check the BCA Judging Manual.

I checked the BCA manual. Don't know which series (Standard or Master) your car is, but here goes:

Standard: 21x4" wheel, 31x5.25 (5.25x21) tire.

Master: 21x4.5" wheel, 33x6 (6.00x21) tire.

Check your rim width; 4" rim gets the 5.25 (or, I suppose, the 6); 4.5 gets the 6 (or, you could push it to 6.50).

• 1 month later...

600 x 21 for the 121 & 128 inch wheel base series and 550 x 21 for the 118 wheel base series.

I would suggest that you buy new tires last after the car is ready to run. That way you will have fresh, not "however many years it takes to restore it" old tires on the road.