Dad’s ‘57 Ford Skyliner won a trophy!

victorialynn2

As many of you know, I rarely take “Sleepy Beauty” out from hibernation. This is mostly due to the fact that my father hasn’t been well and it’s a bit too emotional since it was his favorite car. 

Yesterday I made it to “Cruising McMinnville’s Car Show and Cruise”, held just a couple mile from my home. There were some great cars! (Notice the all original, including paint ‘58 Corvette that parked right next to me after the show. My all time favorite make/model as many of you know!)

I was interviewed by the local paper and the photographer took pictures for at least 30 minutes. The ‘57 also won the “Lady’s Choice” award! They make the coolest awards too!

While they were doing awards, I received a call that my father was sick again with a fever and couldn’t keep anything down. This is exactly how his last set back started and I suspect he had a stroke. They asked me if I wanted to let nature take its course, (this always upsets me), but I wanted him to be given meds if they could help him. I just saw him Thursday and he was doing great. I was upset, walked away and I didn’t even know the car won an award. The staff found me though, and I put on my sunglasses to hide the tears for a photo. 

I even saw @JackM, with dad’s old Jeepster! (Still for sale at a very good price! Let’s find this rare, restored to original, Jeepster a good home. Who do you know?) 

All in all one of the most enjoyable days I’ve had in many months, aside from the bad news about dad. I have spent most of this summer very sad due to dad’s ups and downs. I am trying to accept the inevitable, but it’s the hardest thing I have ever done on my life. I couldn’t do anything to immediately help, he’s over 90 minutes from me and was out for the night from his meds, so I stuck around the show a little while longer, watching many people admire his car. Later I made a couple passes in the cruise and brought her home to tuck her back into bed. 

The word is that Dad’s on antibiotics for a respiratory infection, and sleeping a lot. I also learned that they put him back on some strong meds the day before that I don’t like, but have no say about. Those drugs make him easier for the staff to manage, but harder for me to really communicate with him. Dad can be resistant to the care team that has to take care of his daily needs. 

Here are are some pictures for y’all from the event. I have to add the photos a few at a time due to my phone. 

I know my dad would be very proud to add yet another Trophy to the ‘57’s long list. I

D0333EF9-8AAD-4717-969F-45305553BF4A.jpeg

D12F0314-2907-48EB-B0D5-1CEDF4A79AC5.jpeg

6C8ABB4A-5852-4091-9817-A576F48656C4.jpeg

• Like 5

Congratulations on the award! I love the piston-man trophy. Prayers have been/will be sent for your father. I know how difficult that is.

I love that car, too. Every time I see it I think of the Lucy and Desi commercial, probably my favorite commercial.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I am having difficulty uploading even 2-3 photos at a time from my iPhone. This has been an issues for months and is frustrating. I will upload to Google drive and post a link for the rest. You may need to log into Google to see them, I’m not sure. 

I can see them just fine. Great pics!

• Like 1

Here are some more of the pics I took on a google drive:

lots of beautiful cars in this post, love the Sedan Delivery and the Nomad, lots of others, check it out!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-w2szFjYMiXZ2srVQO0DnnwkaTYMiL_t

(you may have to log into Google or Gmail to view)

For the site IT team: I have an iPhone 8 Plus and use Safari - all updates are done. I’ve had issues uploading more than the first 3 photos on any thread. This happened after an update months ago and was not previously a problem. This is bad for a bunch of people who enjoy photos. I know I’m not the only one with issues. Some have found work arounds, but even with several reloads and going in and out of the thread, it’s nearly impossible to upload photos after the initial 3. I get an error that I’ve exceed 900k limit or something. 😡

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

I will look for it.

I have temporarily lost track of a lot of stuff as I am in the middle of the move and the kids are just tossing everything in boxes.

So the new garage is full of boxes with misc. stuff not very well organized.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I will look for it.

I have temporarily lost track of a lot of stuff as I am in the middle of the move and the kids are just tossing everything in boxes.

So the new garage is full of boxes with misc. stuff not very well organized.

Boy can I relate to that! Moving stuff multiple times from one building to another in Texas, then from Texas to Mac in multiple trips over 4 years, then from Mac to Medford and back and again within a year, plus multiple storage units to boot. 

At least yours is one move a few feet away and you will get it all unpacked soon!

Congrats on the new place.👏👏👏 Would love to see it sometime!

5 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Speaking of awards, @JackM, can you post a pic of your award from this show a few years back, for everyone to see? His was cool too! Probably the coolest awards I’ve ever seen. 

I forgot what it said on it.

I am sure its my car, not me.

Half of a rotor.

Two years ago.

IM004552.JPG

c6ed_1.JPG

JackMild_to_Wild.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Beautiful car if I have not said so before VL2.  Well deserving of the award.(Those folks should get awards for ingenuity in trophy design).

Thanks. Here are some of the others. They have interesting categories and let various sponsors give awards to their favorite also. Plus there is an award for the police and fire departments to give out since they keep the event safe. It’s also a charity event and a lot of fun! 

D2076903-4021-47CC-8125-0C63226D018E.jpeg

29D35D56-8AB0-46AC-8822-8D9AF05DB38A.jpeg

403B9D35-6C65-4BF5-8859-854070DA512D.jpeg

B45BDEED-B371-4DB8-8737-5ED6D758C43C.jpeg

8FDF63D0-F738-4F2F-8D36-442C35CACC03.jpeg

3201D83E-12F5-49E0-A3DF-7F6405EA457C.jpeg

Congratulations on the trophy. Now let's relax and all hold each other and pause to reflect on our lives and think of by our dad and how button popping he is of you. God's speed to his return to the right hand of God.       Mike.  😑

• Thanks 1

Congrats on the award for your Dad's great car.

The trophies are definitely well done and unique.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Dad.

Many years ago we went through a similar situation with our Father, it's tough but visit as often as you can and keep making those great memories.

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I wanted to let you all know that I just got word that my father passed away. I saw him yesterday and he hadn’t been well the last week or so. I was happy to have several really good visits between him being sick this time and last. It was time for him to be free of his pain and be with the rest of our family. 

Truly  sorry to read of your loss. Those of us that have fine relationships with our parents are lucky; to be good friends as well as father/daughter or father /son is a gift that not everyone has. You and he shared the love of the cars , and that is the memory you will have to cherish every time you see the cars you have or another old car that may be going down the road. Not everyone can have that . Keep well, and keep your comments coming here on the AACA "family" forums .

Walt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

VictoriaLynn

So sorry for your loss. As you said, he is now free from his pain. You have been so caring and helpful to him and you will remember the good times for ever. Not everyone has the same relationship that you and your Dad shared. It’s something you will always treasure. My Dad passed 23 years ago and I still miss him, but I’m able to remember the good times we shared over the years. Stay strong and I look forward to your posts in the future.

Kevin

• Thanks 1

Very sorry to hear of your father's passing.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

It is never easy when you lose a parent and it is especially hard when you had close relationship like the one you had with your father.

Keep his memory alive and don't shy away from doing the things you shared with him. Those activities may hurt at first because you shared them with him and he is no longer there but continuing to do them will help keep his memory alive.

Take your time in the healing process, it took me a year before I transferred the Pierce into my name.

Putting the car in my name was the final act of 'erasing' him from everything and it was a tough thing to do.

Stay strong, it gets easier but the love you shared and bond you had will never go away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deepest condolences on your father's passing.  You did EVERYTHING possible under extremely difficult circumstances.  You will never regret a single minute you spent with him or dealing with his affairs--I've been there and done that. Twenty and more years later, you will approve even more of what you did and the sacrifices you made.  That you were willing to interrupt your own life for several years to liquidate his collections, and do so in a manner to maximize return for his care, is the very definition of "filial piety" so revered by past generations, but sadly, not so much these days.  God bless and keep him--and YOU.

• Thanks 1