Sign in to follow this  
gring

Identify flea market find

Could anyone tell me what vehicle this piece came off? Local flea market find and I can't identify it. Thanks!

20190824_125824.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Photo is blurred, post a few more. Not sure it’s automotive because the detail is terrible. What’s it made of? Looks like a heat shield off a wood stove.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

REO Gold Comet truck would be my guess.  On second thought, the stove piece is sounding better!

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

Sorry, my brother sent me the pic, so it is the only one I have right now. Thought it may have come off a vehicle since it has a V8 on it, but that may just be coincidence.

25 minutes ago, gring said:

Sorry, my brother sent me the pic, so it is the only one I have right now. Thought it may have come off a vehicle since it has a V8 on it, but that may just be coincidence.

I don't think it is a V8, more likely an M with an 8,

looks too early to be Mercury, even if it turns out to be automotive, 

and I lean toward the "stove" comment

• Like 1

Looking at the bottom of the item on the left side it looks like a protruding hook which would be consistent with a wood cookstove side shelf. We used a wood cookstove for about 20 years for most of our cooking in the fall through late spring months.

STOVE.jpg

Posted (edited)

Doesn't look heavy enough for a foot rest, the post on the back look small and too weak for that. Pretty sure as others have said, it's off of a wood stove, a warming rack for bread. Or a wood heating stove foot warmer, the sloped front looks more similar to those.

Look on the right side of this "Majestic" wood stove. 

image.thumb.png.ca3242ba8526d75926321c360fe9d7c2.png

-Ron

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some great looking stoves on a Google search. If you had the space it would make you give up anvil collecting. 

Bob 

vintage wood burning stove beautiful.jpg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mikefit said:

Looks like a heat shield from a Saturn rocket that fell off .

Of course "M"orton thiocol. :) Apollo 8 most likely.

Those wood stoves are beautiful but they will sure heat up a house in the summer time. Some people put them out on the back porch in the spring. "Slaving over hot stove" had real meaning. I was over at Greenfield Village a few years ago in the summer and they had one of those fired up in the kitchen in one of the old houses, it must've been 120 degrees in there, those poor women in the long dresses - period outfits, I don't know how they stood it.

-Ron

• Like 1

Looks like the music holder thingy in a piano.

NOT !!

IM004545.JPG

22 hours ago, edinmass said:

Photo is blurred, post a few more. Not sure it’s automotive because the detail is terrible. What’s it made of? Looks like a heat shield off a wood stove.

Old stove components seem to hold the record for antique items misidentified as automotive parts.

I'm a bit of a neurotic and I keep thinking about this off and on today.

If it's a foot warmer and hung on a stove, the foot warmee would be looking at it upside down. The "M" if it is an M and not a W would be upside down.

If it's a shelf it has a radius surface at the edge, , and the pointed portion has no purpose, not very likely a shelf.

I think this is off of a wood cook stove, but I think it was just a piece of trim that went up near the top in front of the vent pipe as a guard to keep people from touching it and block a bit of the radiant heat. Something along that line.

-Ron

Would those shooting stars be any hint?

3 hours ago, Locomobile said:

Of course "M"orton thiocol. :) Apollo 8 most likely.

Those wood stoves are beautiful but they will sure heat up a house in the summer time. Some people put them out on the back porch in the spring. "Slaving over hot stove" had real meaning. I was over at Greenfield Village a few years ago in the summer and they had one of those fired up in the kitchen in one of the old houses, it must've been 120 degrees in there, those poor women in the long dresses - period outfits, I don't know how they stood it.

-Ron

Back in the day they would have moved the stove to the summer kitchen which was cooler and better ventilated. They would have made a quick fire of pine sticks that burned out in 20 minutes if they wanted to fry some eggs or cook something on the stove top but most meals in summer were cold, like salads, cold meat etc.

The real hot work was in the late summer and fall during canning season when they had the stove going full blast all day, and the days were still quite warm.

Posted (edited)

To me, it looks kinda like a cast end piece of a fluorescent ceiling lamp fixture. That way, the stars would be shooting "up" and are sort of light related being that there are stars. What are the dimensions?

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1