1949 Buick Roadmaster Woodie

On 8/23/2019 at 6:18 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Again? What is it with these idiots and that car?

Let's make sure you have a clear understanding of this scam. By the time it was shut down, 3 (dumb) people had bid and the price was at $12,475. It was a one day auction and if it had gone the distance and ended, there is a good chance the winner would have wired a down payment. The scammer probably was successful before and THAT is "what it is with these idiots and that car"

Edited by garynofishing (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, garynofishing said:

Let's make sure you have a clear understanding of this scam. By the time it was shut down, 3 (dumb) people had bid and the price was at $12,475. It was a one day auction and if it had gone the distance and ended, there is a good chance the winner would have wired a down payment. The scammer probably was successful before and THAT is "what it is with these idiots and that car"

I understand perfectly how the scam works. I just don't understand why they keep picking THAT car out of the 600+ to choose from on my website. There are surely less distinctive cars with a broader market appeal and more reasonable values that could slip in and out quietly rather than a virtually one-of-a-kind car that every idiot knows should be expensive. the $1000 deposit would be the same, but you probably could get closer to a real sale with a $12,000 car than with a $90,000 car. Buyer greed is a huge part of making the scam work, but which seems more realistic to you: getting a $12,000 car for, say, $8000 or getting a $90,000 car for $12,000? Which would make you bid? Which would make you commit to buy? Which would make you send a deposit without thinking something was fishy?

THAT is why I wonder why they keep picking that one. If it were me, I'd pick a crappy '70s Camaro or a clean but unremarkable '70s luxury car.

I probably shouldn't give them any ideas about how to do it better, though.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1