Running board mat adhesive

chistech

Curious on what people are using to glue their mats down. Mine are urethane and not rubber. I need to glue down my mats to the metal mounting plates and I’ve been looking for a source for 3M 3549 B/A in quart size. Everything thing I find is trying to sell me a six quart (12 qt because it’s two parts) case when I only need one set of quarts. Lord 310 is also another option that’s been recommended but I can’t find that either. 

5 minutes ago, Detroit_Electric said:

Amazon has 1qt for $169.99 https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Weld-3549-Urethane-Container/dp/B000WXFKZU/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=3M+3549+B%2FA&qid=1566574613&s=gateway&sr=8-2

They say quantity 6 but Granger wants $1,328 for 6 so I assume the Amazon one is just 1 quart of each part

I did see that but at the bottom it says 6 so I’m not sure if you go to cash out, it’s going to tally up the six. Have to just give it a try I guess. Thanks.

3M has technical centers that are geared to supporting industrial applications but an excellent source for info and in some cases where to get it.  There is one in the Detroit area and the central one in St Paul.

Lord is a bit harder to contact, I think they are in Erie, PA.

Since you know your mat is polyurethane you can get an accurate recommendation.

I used twin pack epoxy  glue, as the contact glue we have here just would not stick.  afterwards a freind said to me, why not use the black windscreen sealer (called betaseal here)  they use to glue windscreens onto modern cars. It probably will glue the running board rubber to the metal pretty permanently and you can move the rubber around while its fresh, so you can line it up nicely, then leave it for 24 hours to set.

• Like 1

I actually tried windshield urethane that normally bonds anything and it stuck well to the urethane mat but for some reason the bare metal got a light coat of red powdery rust even where the adhesive was. The mat peeled right off the metal with the rust acting like a mold release. I am going to lightly bead blast the metal then etch prime it so it won’t rust. The 3M and Lord products are what the company that manufacture the mats recommended in their instructions so this time, I’ll use that.