Sign in to follow this  
Terry Bond

Side curtains on early cars

On 8/22/2019 at 4:49 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

I'm like you, Terry, interested in automotive history.

A side fact:  Some years ago I asked a much older friend,

who lived during that time, about his experiences.

He said that, with side curtains, you were already wet

by the time you got them installed!

The curtains in your picture are unusual, in that

the huge windowless panel creates a large blind spot.

Some early vehicles (such as C-body trucks) had

large blind spots, which evidently were acceptable then,

so even a factory-made set of curtains might be

configured like those.

1903 Woods Truck 8.jpg

This should be an electric car too

I guess back then there wasn't so much concern about a "blind spot."   As long as you could see straight ahead and a little bit at the edges you'd be ok.  Much less traffic to contend with and obviously there wasn't an easy way to stick out your hand for a turn signal at all.   I've seen photos of cars being driven in winter with absolutely no protection for passengers except perhaps a lap robe and a bundle of clothing.  image.png.474a2db74435cb361f1cee890084c72f.png

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

obviously there wasn't an easy way to stick out your hand for a turn signal at all. 

In actual fact many/most side curtains had a flap just above the door edge just for this purpose. 

IMG_3828.thumb.JPG.c701d5d78620fc8daff756b103458acf.jpg

Edited by Tinindian (see edit history)

This image was taken from a slide made in the 1970's of my '21 Chevy roadster pickup sporting it's curtains.Darn things are dangerous. Try getting your hand out in time to signal a turn. The curtains were made using the originals as patterns.The originals,like the car,were cut down from a touring.

Jim

Slides from carousels 1970's 011 (2).JPG

This well-traveled couple from Ontario has a nice fitted garment for their 1905 Northern

302.jpg

• Thanks 1

This might be too new for your side curtain question but Dad bought this 1920 Overland Model 4 in 1966 with these side curtains.

Clearly the top was replaced at some point as evidence of the red trim (which dad hated).

1620757858_1920Overland-BlossumTourNiagaraFalls-onClubtrailertowdby51Nash-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.facbf167b5bb67d336eb20243f30c9b0.jpg 

I still have them but the plastic is so yellowed that I would not try driving with them on today.

The flaps were to provide access to the door handle which is only on the inside of the car.

Waaay to difficult to make a hand signal through that...

Edited by dei (see edit history)

With our 1915 T Touring, they fogged up really fast with 4 heavy breathers

inside during a Florida rain storm.   Hard enough to see out even without the fogging!

With the 34 Phaeton, the wind wings with the rear view mirrors had to be folded

in to close the front suicide doors.  No view of what was behind us.

But as I always say, "It rained in the old days too!"

Many of the early touring cars had side curtains with tags attached, indicating position on car.  I've had people say well, that's silly, you'd know where it goes.  My answer is be caught in a Louisiana rainstorm, and be asking your wife to hand you the "right front" curtain.  You'd soon appreciate having tags.

Pictured is an original tag, and I have sets of reproduced tags, 6 to a set, $20 a set postpaid.

Just thought I'd throw it in here since it's a side curtain discussion!

original tag.jpg

img002.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, trimacar said:

Many of the early touring cars had side curtains with tags attached, indicating position on car.  I've had people say well, that's silly, you'd know where it goes.  My answer is be caught in a Louisiana rainstorm, and be asking your wife to hand you the "right front" curtain.  You'd soon appreciate having tags.

Pictured is an original tag, and I have sets of reproduced tags, 6 to a set, $20 a set postpaid.

Just thought I'd throw it in here since it's a side curtain discussion!

original tag.jpg

img002.jpg

David made a set of these for me -

extremely handy, especially when a storm surprises you on the road with an early car-

ask me how I know...