kgreen

Turn signal lever, '40 Buick Question

From the photo below you will see something identified with a question as to what it is.  It appears to be leather as it can be indented with a fingernail.  I've not removed it and can't be certain of its' function or whether it is merely aesthetic.  Can I get help identifying what this material is and the function of this section of the turn signal lever?1490630099_turnsighandle.thumb.jpg.bb3db8b614199d1a7290968af9f1da52.jpg

I looked at my '41 and it doesn't have anything there but I can't say for sure that there was NEVER anything there. Maybe it was anti-rattle or to keep dirt from getting inside the column?

• Thanks 1

Insulator?

either to slience any metal-to-metal contact (or less likely but possibly in case of grounding?)

• Thanks 1

I believe it is leather,  I have it on my car but it's deteriorated so I am going to replace it with rubber tube and paint brown. 

As others have already said main function stop metal hitting metal during operation of lever. 

• Like 1

I've had umpteen of these levers in sale stock (when I sole parts) over the years, and never seen anything in that spot.  Isn't the plastic on a 1940 off-white or bone color?

On 8/28/2019 at 2:16 AM, 1940Super said:

I believe it is leather,  I have it on my car but it's deteriorated so I am going to replace it with rubber tube and paint brown. 

As others have already said main function stop metal hitting metal during operation of lever. 

One of my hindrances is that I've spent the last two years looking at parts, not an assembled car.  You are correct as I viewed an assembled car and when the turn signal lever is in the left or right signal position, the brown part hits the steering column.  Thanks for your help.

IMG_7659.jpg

On 8/28/2019 at 6:48 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

I've had umpteen of these levers in sale stock (when I sole parts) over the years, and never seen anything in that spot.  Isn't the plastic on a 1940 off-white or bone color?

Yes, Earl, the plastic when original or in good condition is a bone color.  As for the presence of the brown (leather?) it is on every lever that I have that both came on the car and on all of my alternate levers.  Not sure what to tell you about your experience.

8 hours ago, kgreen said:

Yes, Earl, the plastic when original or in good condition is a bone color.  As for the presence of the brown (leather?) it is on every lever that I have that both came on the car and on all of my alternate levers.  Not sure what to tell you about your experience.

Mike, I think most of the ones I've had were newer than 1940.  I think I'll unscrew the one on my 41 Roadmaster and see if it has one of those.

Don’t need to unscrew it Earl. Just look at the point where the lever intersects with the column. 

BTW, good luck with that hurricane. Leave if you can. 

The leather is an electrical insulator, to prevent you from grounding yourself to the car body, in case the car is struck by lightning when you are signaling a turn.

• Haha 2