What goes wrong when you run a 350 without oil for 3 seconds?

I own a Skylark 1970 350 V8. Engine run noiseless for last 4 years. 2 weeks ago, I drained the oil and removed the oil filter. With oil pan empty and no oil filter, I run the engine for 3 seconds MAX to purge the oil. I let the car like that for 10 days. I refilled the engine with 10W30 and put a new filter. Car is now noisy like .... Click tremendously from upper parts. What went wrong? What parts could have been damaged? Thanks for your help.

Please don't misunderstand my post I am not critisizing you. Somewhere you learned to change oil like this--its wrong. What has happened is your oil pump has lost its prime. Don't run or even start this engine until you have the proper proceedure for repriming the oil pump. If I had this info I'd give it to you. In the future change oil and filter when the engine is at operating temp. Then put new filter on and put new oil in asap. Start the car and let it idle do not race the engine. I think your problem will be easy to solve.

I've never heard of running an engine to purge the oil out of it. Say the pan holds five quarts, and the filter holds half a quart. Whatever's left in the einge isn't going to be much, so I'd never worry about it contaminating the refill.

In the future, fill the new oil filter prior to installing it as well. This way you've got oil in the filter ready to go to the engine, rather than waiting for the pump to fill the filter when you start it up.

-Brad

To prime the oil pump on a buick 350 locate the oil pump cover on the lower front passenger side of the timing cover just below the oil filter. Remove the cover mounting screws, remove the cover slowly and get something to hold the driving pump gear in place it will fall out if you just let it go. Get Vaseline and pack as much as posible into the pump chamber fill in between all the teeth.

Now replace the cover and start the engine. You may want to get an oilpump repair kit. These kits have new screws and gaskets and a steel plate to place between the Aluminum cover, most likely yours is chewed up from running dry.

Any time you service this engine if you turn the oilpump more than 1/2 rev without oil in the pan you will have to prime it again.

Never a good idea to run the engine just to get a little more oil out. Cars are not 100% level so a little bit will remain in the pan.

Anyway, if you lost the prime you can take the pump apart and put in the vaseline, or you can take out the distributor and

prime the pump using a drill. Once you get resistance - it's primed. If the noise in the engine continues after you know it's

primed then something was damaged - possibly the lifters.

If you pull the distributor make sure you mark the position of the rotor and the body of the assy so you put it back in the exact position you removed it. Just another 2 cents.

Guest Shaffer

I do not think you damaged your engine, as when the oil is drained it takes a couple of seconds anyway for the oil to reach the top of the engine if I am not mistaken. When I used to change my oil on my cars, before I started it, my dad would remove the coil wire and I would crank it for a couple of seconds to put some oil to the top of the engine. Now I take my cars to have the oil changed, but I guess the starting is OK, as long as someone already stated, the engine is not raced and only idled. Good luck.