Some of the USA based readers may have already heard of this association of Old Car Enthusiasts. The Information came to me from an old friend based on Long Island, NY, USA. I can only recommend joining at the first possible opportunity. Some of you may already be members.

Bernie j.

1297545591_Scan2.jpeg.077c03637140a7ffd1b535ab1c095234.jpeg  

What Is going on here?

I really should not be giving all my secrets away but it is probably too late now.

Now you have seen all my "state of the art" up to the minute tools and equipment.

The funny part is that I actually do get things done.

Bj.

DSCN6676.thumb.jpg.a051c1c5549bbfad2d38413c5e74c251.jpg

IDSCN6677.thumb.jpg.0e9114e6a4719f690d431c93fc7e3858.jpgDSCN6678.thumb.jpg.956f2779cae3b9b6e5c95f80004240e7.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/13/2020 at 3:54 PM, DrData said:

Bernie,

Welcome back and I am glad that things are getting sorted on your Lagonda Raper.    I am fascinated by the concept of the "pre-seIector" gearbox. I certainly hope you will continue to post about the Lagonda as well as your current (and future) restoration projects.  They are some of the best reads on any of the car forums that I belong to and I very much enjoy your wit and style.

Best regards,

Dr Data

1950 MG TD...currently undergoing engine rebuild...sigh...

Could not have said it better.

Ben

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 6:03 PM, oldcar said:

Hi Digger,

It is not really a question of "want to" ?

To progress to the next stage it is really a quite simple, "have to"!

Of course there are those who would question the "need to" 

But we could go on for ever finding excuses for "not doing anything".

It is probably, at least to some peoples thinking, very sad that some of us "have no say in it."

It is just that we are "driven to do something every day".

There are times when I wish that I too could simply shut the door, find a comfortable chair, 

and sit and read all day.

Of course and I hope very sincerely, "that this never happens to me",

there are those who "just sit ! "

Very often with people, like me, who have lived their "Three score years & ten "  

are just "waiting to die".

"What for ?".

I hope that this is not "too deep" for you.

Could it be just a case of "You have dug your hole, now lie in it"?

BACK TO WORK!

Oh yes! "Don't forget to smile!"

"You don't have to be mad, but it helps!"

Bernie j.

Dang, you can be humorous!😄.

I, too, thought I had lost you.  Finally awakened and came "down under" so to speak.

Keep up the good work. And no, I do not know half of what I see on your car, but like what I see.

Ben

Hello Ben

Sadly it is a special type of humour, one that only very few privileged people can appreciate. I am glad that you are one of those people. I am afraid that I have very little or no say in what I do.

These very sad little orphan motor cars keep on finding me.

They say, Please help rescue me!  

How can I refuse?

Sometimes the rewards make it all worth while, Only sometimes!

Bj.

DSCN6682.thumb.jpg.821f26c50e52280bf2d4b48d502c6c19.jpg

• Like 1

Just changing the subject for one moment I was going through some "old stuff" and came across this photograph. No prizes for guessing but photographs like this one remind me that I am wasting my time playing around with things like the Singer.

Bj.DSCN5296.thumb.jpg.2dd16fa1b3c3d1747c2df2d71831f3cf.jpg.496cb877fdd7c377fd2b7f8042ecbe92-1493912950.thumb.jpg.8b7ce9ef1ea1e2ab46e3dcfaf0eeff5b.jpg

• Like 1

Moving right along, I now have finally filled up the remaining bit of vacant wall space in my little "dog kennel".

It may be just as well we have no more trips to Europe planed. Last but not least I have added the slightly travell damaged Cantaloup-les-Vignes Hillclimb. For anyone whose French is slightly rusty this celebrates the "First and so Oldest Motor Hillclimb in the World". The "Patron" for this event is Patrick Delage; Grandson of the founder of this famous Motor Car Manufacturer, Louis Délagé.

Bj.

.DSCN6683.thumb.jpg.1788a128d59cb070bf3629a7a15b325b.jpg

DSCN6684.thumb.jpg.d71ae9a571f76bae20ddef9b38b806f9.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Bernie,

Glad to see you are back working on the Singer and it looks like some great progress on the tub.  Your picture reminds me of the current state of the engine in my MG TD.  Having overcome some other obstacles, we are now trying to locate the odd sized compression ring that a prior owner used in the last rebuild.  The joys of old British cars.

I love your dog kennell...out does any "man cave"

Safety fast!

The good thing about this Singer is that it has been literally "no where" The Speedo reads just over 6,600 miles from new! (1935)

I know that  I have talked about this before but everything I look at tends to confirm this. I will get around to taking the cylinder head off eventually. Meanwhile I have been told that looking through the spark plug holes with one of those special cameras, the "cross-hatching" on the cylinder walls is quite visible. After 85 years!  I will just have to find some one with one of those cameras so I can check this for myself. Meanwhile the body continues to "evolve"with more than half the side panels in place. I will need to buy another half sheet of aluminium. I probably did not plan cutting the various panels quite accurately enough. Oh well!

Bj

• Like 1

Sorry, not very much happening right now. Suddenly, which is typical of  Melbourne weather, it has turned cold and very wet. As much of my work happens outside or with the garage door wide open there is not a lot I can do, come back next week and we will be back to some reasonable weather again, I hope.

Bj.

• Haha 1