Chris j C

1949 Chevy 3100 shifting

Can any one help me with a shifting problem on my 1949 Chevy 3100 pickup with a 235ci. engine? I can shift it into 1st and let clutch out and it will roll but at a very low speed like the tranny is not fully engaged. Its like its not all the way in first. any ideas?

Thank Chris c j

We need more specific information.  Column or floor shift.  If floor shift is it a top or side loader?  If the gear is even partially engaged the vehicle should accelerate.  What happens starting in second gear?  What happens in reverse?  Is the clutch slipping (does the engine rev but the truck not move)?  Any unusual noises?  Will the engine rev in neutral?

If a column shift the bushings in the linkage ore usually worn.  Full of the proper gear lube?  Is it possible your brakes are dragging?

To quote number 5 robot from Short Circuit "Input needed"

Good Luck, with some more information someone here will solve your truck's problem.

It's probably the clutch; however, your transmission may have a "granny" gear.  I recall from my military days, driving some 1950s-era trucks that had a "granny gear" first gear.  It was great for pulling stumps or something, but otherwise produced lots of engine revs, noise and snail-paced forward progress.

As others in this thread have written, more information would be helpful.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Old trucks with a heavy duty 4 speed had very low first gear, you usually start off in second unless towing a steam shovel up the Rocky mountains.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Old trucks with a heavy duty 4 speed had very low first gear, you usually start off in second unless towing a steam shovel up the Rocky mountains.

I had to drive up to Portland yesterday.

I drove the 64 D-100, slant six w/granny tranny.

I used the granny gear for several miles of plugged up freeway. 2nd (which is the first gear you would normally take off in) was a bit to fast at idle.

When much younger I had a 24 ft cabin cruiser and a 53 Jeep wagon that had a lo range.

I could reach thru the window and hit the starter to lug the boat out of the water and hook up all the tie downs by the time it idled to the top of the ramp.

Probably not to smart, but hey? I made it till now.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 11:52 AM, Rusty_OToole said:

When I was a kid (20) I had a '59 Apache with granny low. My favorite trick (after the engine was warmed up) was to turn the ignition off, put it in granny low and take my foot off the clutch. I'd then restart the truck without my foot on the clutch...the Chevy would lurch forward and roll along running in first gear. Not good for the starter or anything else, but I was amused. :D