JamesR

ebay Wildcat with 2000 miles.

two things i always looked for when appraising a VERY low millage car, battery should be a replacement and exhaust system should be totally rusted out, or recently replaced. otherwise i'd need a lot of documentation.

I also take a close look at the pedal rubber. With 2k miles there should be no wear. Keep in mind that the odos in those cars were so easy to manipulate that they had to make it against the law..

ps would also be concerned about fluids becoming acidic.

• Like 1

I bought a 1970 Yamaha 90cc enduro with 300 miles on it several years ago from an estate.  The low miles was easy to document both by the family and the friend that connected me with the family of the owner.  The downside was the storage it was exposed to, in an old shed in the back yard.  A lot of the metal cleaned up nicely but a fair amount did not.  The under hood pics of the Buick remind me of similar storage.

• Like 1

Point is there is always a reason for cars like this having such low mileage. Big car with no power steering and a lady owner is one, car that would not start reliably is another, but you should always find out the reason and decide if it is important or correctable.

Am odd but am usually more concerned about the underside of a car than the top.

24 minutes ago, TerryB said:

I bought a 1970 Yamaha 90cc enduro with 300 miles on it several years ago from an estate.  The low miles was easy to document both by the family and the friend that connected me with the family of the owner.  The downside was the storage it was exposed to, in an old shed in the back yard.  A lot of the metal cleaned up nicely but a fair amount did not.  The under hood pics of the Buick remind me of similar storage.

I still have my 1979 Suzuki DS100 that I purchased new, used it for two summers and then went into my parents basement in 1981.... I rescued it two years ago... a little dusty, but looks new, I bet I don't have a few hundred miles on it....they are out there !

I wonder if the bike is worth anything now, I paid $700 at the dealership.

Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has power steering.  Look for the pulley- it is there.  It also has power brakes.  

Much more likely to have both, since I can see the PS pulley it is a moot point.

So just curious. Since there hasn't been any push back regarding the 1967, small main 350 being problematic, does this also hold true for the 327 and if not why? That engine had been around since 1962 and I don't remember any issues.

Bill

1 hour ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

I still have my 1979 Suzuki DS100 that I purchased new, used it for two summers and then went into my parents basement in 1981.... I rescued it two years ago... a little dusty, but looks new, I bet I don't have a few hundred miles on it....they are out there !

I wonder if the bike is worth anything now, I paid $700 at the dealership.

Steve 

They are, or at least were popular as they were the bikes we began on as kids.  Mine won several awards for its originality at a few local shows.  I would show it next to my all original 1964 Vespa VNB 125.  Great memories with those two little gems!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John348 said:

They did not sell it to you because it was not offered

They did, however, offer the 454 c.i. engine with the Turbo-Hydramatic, and it's a shame that the 4 speed was not offered with the big block engine.  I always liked the styling of the Monte Carlo, and, as I recall, it was marketed as a "luxury" class automobile.  Maybe that's why the 4 speed coupled with the big block was not offered... too sporty.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

I drove a 69 Impala in college for about a year.  350 250HP with a powerglide.  Ran it hard.

Spent most of Spring break my senior year replacing the cam and lifters after one collapsed.  Had to drop the pan and push the lifters out through the bottom.  Put a 300 HP cam in it and it ran well.  Month or so later the powerglide packed it in and I sold it to a guy who put the motor in his chevelle.  

Bought another one for $150 that had some body damage but ran good.  Drove that for another year.  

OK this is my understanding: the 327 had a 3.27" stroke with an oiling system designed for a smaller engine (283 - 3" stroke") I do not recall my 67 327/275hp Camaro (then and now do not care for "bling" - what I wanted was V8-4speed-posi-guages-and AC) having  much over 30 psi oil pressure. At the time GM advised NOT to run 10W-40 and just use 10W-30. The 302 used a 327 bore (4") and a 283 stroke (3"). There were aftermarket "high volume" oil pumps available (Melling was my choice) and I had a 6 qt "trap door" oil pan on my Corvette.

In '67 Chev came out with the 350 for the SS-350 Camaro (3.48" stoke) which turn out to be too much for the stock crank/oiling system (and the American habit of running 2 quarts low). Whatever, enough cranks were damaged that for 1968 all SBCs for passenger cars (truck engines were "different"), 327 and 350, received a new crank with larger bearings and (AFAIR) four bolt mains. That was also the last year for the 327 so a '68 327 block/crank is prized (or was once upon a time).

Personally do not care for long stroke gas engines.

Of course I guarantee nothing from memory...

19 hours ago, John348 said:

They did not sell it to you because it was not offered

The 402 in the Monte Carlo could be mated to a 4 speed.

Yes it could but in March 1970 I was not allowed to order one from Chevrolet that way so I went over to the Buick dealer. GS really suited me better so did not pursue the Monte Carlo.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No surprising but my need was in the '70 model year. '71 was also the last year for a manual trans in a Grand Prix until 1990 (maybe 88, not sure).

Was interested in the '73 GP with SD455 and manual trans but the EPA debacle put the kibosh on that. Next was a '93 GTP with DOHC-6 and a five speed Getrag.

Just a bit more: Pontiac's problem when 1970 model year was neigh was that GM had relaxed the cubic inch limit for F and A bodies. Chev had the 454,  Olds and Buick had 455s, all with engines designed in the 60s. Meanwhile Pontiac was stuck with the same block that powered the 1955 287. It was designed to be expanded but not to be almost doubled. 4.15" bore was it so it had to be a long stroke engine to make that many cubes.

"blem wit" that was the oiling system which in 1970 was still designed for 40 psi. That plus the long stroke (4.21") resulted in many crank failures. To compensate they did the only thing they could: redesign the oiling system for 60 psi. Then when the SD455 came out with increased loads a special 80 psi oil pump was used.

Despite this the public was poisoned against the Pontiac 455 even though the 71-72 was improved. Sales were poor.

And that is the rest of the story.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Years ago, I saw a 1970 or 1971 GP with a manual transmission at a local AACA show in St. Petersburg FL. It was the only one I have ever seen. Definitely a rare car.

Kevin

Posted (edited)

I had a '70 GP with 400 and 4-speed. No posi though. We called it Asphyxiation (before silly burnouts were common).

Was fairly common in 69 and 70 but only 56 in 71. I still have all the parts to build one & have a "model SJ" badge on my CTS.

Tried to drag and drop image. What is a "-200" ? Other way worked.

gpconsole.jpg

Was it gold with a black vinyl top ? Strange 8 track in the back seat ? Might have been mine.

Starting to think this should be in a different thread.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

On 8/26/2019 at 4:36 PM, STEVE POLLARD said:

The Wildcat listing has ended.... so I'm guessing it didn't sell, unless it sold outside of ebay ?

Nice Buick !

Steve

As of today (16 Oct 2019) car relisted; now with a $16.5K asking price