TractorGuy

1930 DeSoto...part needed

Posted (edited)

My husband and I are working on a 1930 DeSoto. We have it running but now to get it moving...need a main drive gear bearing retainer. The number on the piece is T2C-6. The part number might be 42954, but not certain about that. The transmission is WG T2C-1. Any help finding one of these would be greatly appreciated.

1566395319945.jpg

1566395293105.jpg

Edited by TractorGuy
Added Picture (see edit history)

If you cannot find the exact part, I'm sure any competent welding shop could weld this one back together.

If you are close to Denver, I could recommend one for you.

Mike in Colorado

3 hours ago, TractorGuy said:

Thank you Articifer Tom...I will try calling there.

Your Welcome , I know I saw repos of similar in his shop this Spring and some originals . Most where Chrysler but should cross to other Mopars . Get him circle bolt dia and other measurements .

• Like 1

Hi.  I'm in your same boat --  I need trans part (cluster-gear) for my 31 Chrysler-6 .  I'll look for your part if you'll look for mine !!!

Thanx.  Rich.  Text= 954-336-0027. 

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, TractorGuy said:

Thank you, Mike in Colorado...but it's made of pot metal and I don't think this can be welded.

Oh but you can "weld" pot metal.

It's called "muggy weld" and it is the closest thing to TIG that you can get with a torch.

Look it up on youtube..........

Mike in Colorado

4 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Oh but you can "weld" pot metal.

It's called "muggy weld" and it is the closest thing to TIG that you can get with a torch.

Look it up on youtube..........

Mike in Colorado

But we have some pieces missing so even then it wouldn't work...but thank you.

6 hours ago, Rich in Fla. said:

Hi.  I'm in your same boat --  I need trans part (cluster-gear) for my 31 Chrysler-6 .  I'll look for your part if you'll look for mine !!!

Thanx.  Rich.  Text= 954-336-0027. 

Sounds good...If I see one for you I will definitely let you know.

There is a place on the North side of Ft Collins Co that could rough cast you one of those out of that hard bronze. You would have to have it machined back to specifications but it should last a lifetime after that. That stuff is so hard it's even a challenge to machine it. Sounds like you could do a run of ten or twelve and help out others. I don't have the contact info but could get it if interested.

Steve in Cheyenne

I haven't had time to be one here for a while but I want to thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

We found a machine shop that will make the part for us. With the original part being pot metal, even if we were able to find another original we may just end up having the same problem when we try to put it to use. The new one will be aluminum and so much stronger. Hopefully this will solve the issue and we will be able to get the car in motion.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TractorGuy said:

I haven't had time to be one here for a while but I want to thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

We found a machine shop that will make the part for us. With the original part being pot metal, even if we were able to find another original we may just end up having the same problem when we try to put it to use. The new one will be aluminum and so much stronger. Hopefully this will solve the issue and we will be able to get the car in motion.

Great.  So how much it cost ???