Facebook

broker-len

There are many different groups on facebook. You can probably find multiple types of car enthusiast facebook pages in your local area with a search. There are even multiple antique Buick related facebook pages that I am a member of.  On facebook, you will find lots of people that you might recognize from this forum, as well as other antique car hobbyists who have never been on the forum.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jan arnett (2) said:

Some people like facebook while other people like the forum,  The person who posted the information may not have talking about the AACA facebook but the facebook marketplace.  This is not associated with the AACA but can have some interesting deals.  Try this link .  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/104088996293267/vehicles/

In a nutshell it is iPhone people vs those without, correct? The far too busy types to join the AACA Forum. 

17 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

In a nutshell it is iPhone people vs those without, correct? The far too busy types to join the AACA Forum. 

No, not correct.  Facebook and other similar social media platforms are available on computers, tablets and phones.  You can choose how you wish to receive information updates and how often you want to check on the status of something or someone.  Phones and tablets allow for communication when you are not home or work sitting in front of a computer screen.

4 minutes ago, TerryB said:

No, not correct.  Facebook and other similar social media platforms are available on computers, tablets and phones.  You can choose how you wish to receive information updates and how often you want to check on the status of something or someone.  Phones and tablets allow for communication when you are not home or work sitting in front of a computer screen.

Looking at a screen the size of four postage stamps isn't something I'd want to get involved with. 

11 minutes ago, TerryB said:

I get on facebook using a desk top unit or a laptop.  My grandkid sitting next to me uses his smart phone.  I have a flip phone and not a smart phone.  When you get on the world wide web it doesn't matter what device you use.  The web doesn't know the device or care.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Looking at a screen the size of four postage stamps isn't something I'd want to get involved with. 

True, that’s why I have an iPad.  I can’t drag around a laptop due to my physical disability but an iPad works great for my needs.  I’m not a Facebook fan but I do know people who use it a lot to buy and sell as well as keeping in touch with family and friends.  I still call or send emails which is so 20th century compared to the rest of the world.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, TerryB said:

True, that’s why I have an iPad.  I can’t drag around a laptop due to my physical disability but an iPad works great for my needs.  I’m not a Facebook fan but I do know people who use it a lot to buy and sell as well as keeping in touch with family and friends.  I still call or send emails which is so 20th century compared to the rest of the world.

Yes, emails the one to one form of communication, no desire to share my life with the other Zillion Billion cellphone Facebook junkies. 

I use forums like this one. Visiting multiple times a day sometimes. I also use Facebook. There a millions and millions of people on FB everyday. FB is so much more than what it used to be. If you learn how to use it, you can easily maintain privacy. You can join unlimited specialized focus groups. Of particular interest to me are special car groups. Like “Pre War Cars”. Or  “1930-1940 Plymouth/Desoto/Chrysler/Dodge”.  My daily FB feed is a plethora of old car topics that get me my daily fix. And then some. 

I suggest you create a FB account. Accept no friends. Do not allow people to friend you. Do not post anything private. We don’t want to hear what you had for dinner. Seek out and join multiple specialized groups that you enjoy. Only join private groups. Got a rare car? There’s a group for it. If there is no group, create and start one. Make it private. Your wife’s mother has no business knowing you are seeking out another rare car. Follow my instructions and nobody you know can see your business. Unless that person is in the same private car group that you are a member of. 

Get on Facebook market place. Tons of deals on there. Don’t make a public post. Send a personal message to the seller if you have questions. 

Follow my advice and no, you won’t be cringing when your 14 year old niece or Granddaughter is posting selfies. Trying to look 25 on FB. 

FB can be a wonderful tool. Learn how to work it for your needs. If you aren’t there you won’t be seeing info, parts, support for your 1925 Jewett offered on there. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

I suggest you create a FB account. Accept no friends. Do not allow people to friend you. Do not post anything private. We don’t want to hear what you had for dinner. Seek out and join multiple specialized groups that you enjoy. Only join private groups. Got a rare car? There’s a group for it. If there is no group, create and start one. Make it private. Your wife’s mother has no business knowing you are seeking out another rare car. Follow my instructions and nobody you know can see your business. Unless that person is in the same private car group that you are a member of. 

What prevents the members of the "private group'' sharing it with his or her 30,000 friends? Guess those 30,000 have other different friends too

11 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

What prevents the members of the "private group'' sharing it with his or her 30,000 friends? Guess those 30,000 have other different friends too

If they are truly your friends they won’t do it without your permission.

I've been using FB for the past 5 or 6 years now... great tool for keeping in touch with my friends and the specialized groups that buy and sell items that pertain to my vehicle interest. I just tried out the FB Market last week... listed my car lift in the morning and was sold that evening. No issues... no scammers like I was having with Ebay and CL.

Steve

• Like 2

FB is great because you see what you want to see and share what you want to share.  It’s all customizable.  I personally use it mainly for my hobby and interests.  Old cars, abandoned railroads, National Parks, camping, Route 66, etc all have interesting groups and posts that I like.  I don’t use it to socialize, but many do.  If someone wants to tell their friend that they ate pizza for dinner, go for it.  I just block people who do that.  Almost all local car gatherings have a schedule posted there that is easy to use.  

As far as this site vs. the FB page.  This site is where the meat and potatoes are.  The FB page is mainly folks posting pictures of cars they like.  If anyone asks an actual question, they are often referred here.  

What do you mean?  I see photos here all the time.  In terms of dealing with bandwidth and storage, FB is a $150B, with a “B,” company who sets the standard for internet use, well, everything except retail sales where Amazon is king.

FB has its own photo and video editing software built in, and it’s not even a photo or video editing company.  

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

First Bob, as far as AACA goes we have the official club site that the club posts info on and we have a very, very active group Facebook site which is www.facebook.com/groups/7846724972  There are over 18,000 people posting on that site and pictures galore.  It simply is a product of the medium.  I know you have never wanted to embrace FB but as others have tried to tell you and you set your own privacy parameters on your own page.  Our group page is public.  It has some terrific stuff.

Why are pictures not more prevalent on our forums?  They really were not designed to produce that result.  This was more to be a help site, information site and the like.  HOWEVER, that is about to change this year.  We have a fabulous new feature coming out and hopefully a completely new designed home page.  The new feature already has 1500 car stories and pictures propagated on the pages and soon we will open it up to the world to share there cars and stories on this site.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve! Hope that all works out. It is frustrating to do online research  find a photo to back up a reply and find out AACA Forum will not allow a common cut & paste. I've figured out how to make things work, but I'm sure others gave up and moved on to other things. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Not sure why but when I attempt to paste the link I get the following error message from the forum software although the link is the correct address: "The link could not be embedded because there is no status at that URL." This link appears to be working now despite the error message. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7846724972/

If you have trouble with the link, You can simply open facebook and then search for: "AACA Antique Automobile Club of America"

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thanks Steve! Hope that all works out. It is frustrating to do online research  find a photo to back up a reply and find out AACA Forum will not allow a common cut & paste. I've figured out how to make things work, but I'm sure others gave up and moved on to other things. Bob 

It is common to most if not all forums, that you cannot cut and paste from one site to another.  When you see the photo that you like and that is also on another website, you must first save the photo on your hard drive, then copy from there.  I'm not a computer guy, but I suspect that a copy process from a live internet site encumbers the image with data that the receiving forum thread can't handle.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mike6024 said:

That is a different AACA FB page than the one I posted a link to. Looks like the AACA has two facebook pages.

Yes, 

Steve Moskowitz explained it earlier. There is the official AACA facebook PAGE and there is a very active AACA facebook GROUP. Pages and Groups are two different things on facebook. Yes, it is a bit confusing. Probably the best way to explain it is that AACA publishes things on its facebook page. Many people who joined the facebook Group post various antique car photos, comments, and questions in the AACA facebook Group.

I belong to over 30 facebook groups that range from speedsters, to farm machinery, steam cars, old junk, wood working, hit and miss,  to old sewing machines, ect...  Some of the same people are on each site.  The one thing about FB is that you can see who you are dealing with and their name.  There are scammers on FB site and as always you have to do due you own back ground check.  When I started collecting cars Hemmings was a small 20 page book and now look at it.  The hobby evolves with its members, but no one forces us to change.  My grandkids think I am old fashion and they are right.

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

Yes, 

Steve Moskowitz explained it earlier. There is the official AACA facebook PAGE and there is a very active AACA facebook GROUP. Pages and Groups are two different things on facebook. Yes, it is a bit confusing. Probably the best way to explain it is that AACA publishes things on its facebook page. Many people who joined the facebook Group post various antique car photos, comments, and questions in the AACA facebook Group.

I look at as having THREE fields at the Hershey swap meet with THREE groups of people that never meet each other but claim to have been to the real AACA event. 

Before I took this job I actually got to enjoy walking the flea market and I did visit all three fields!!  It was always a real AACA event for me and still is today.

In the world we live in today Bob we have to meet people on THEIR terms not ours.  Social media is an important tool for us to grow the hobby and membership.  We cannot ignore any avenue open to us to promote our history.  So whether is is our forums, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter (we are not active) we have to do it all to prosper. 

By the way do you want to meet everyone who comes to Hershey?   That's a big task...I could start arranging the autograph session for you!  :) 

• Like 1