Sign in to follow this  
Alan G

1919 Buick spark plug lead photos

Hi. I am looking at making new spark plug leads for a 1919 Buick. 6 cylinder. Would anyone have some photos of the original type of ends used to connect to the spark plugs and the cap, as they say the devil is in the detail! Thanks

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Alan G said:

Hi. I am looking at making new spark plug leads for a 1919 Buick. 6 cylinder. Would anyone have some photos of the original type of ends used to connect to the spark plugs and the cap, as they say the devil is in the detail! Thanks

Do you have a copy of the H/K  series picture parts book? 

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

Hi Morgan. I do not unfortunately. Is there a copy available that you are aware of?

Alan

The original distributor cap terminals were screw on,  I don,t have any of the correct spark plug terminals,  but they were a small round cap that pushed onto the top of the spark plug.  I thought Morgan had the originals on his car.

ROD W

20190822_082619.jpg

I do for E, but I don't have H/K book anymore, I sold it. It's probably the same but who knows?

According to the Price List of Parts for the H and K Models, the High Tension Wire Assembly lists Part Number 34606 for the Spark Plug Terminal.  The 1921 book shows a part that looks to be the same as #34606, but, it has a different number assigned to it.  In 1922 the spark plug terminal is listed as an AC number.  Buick was notorious for changing part numbers as time went on for the same identical piece.  For my money I went to Restoration Supply and got the Nickel Plated Rajah terminal clips.  Keep in mind though that these are made to fit 7MM wire only.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

My 1918 book also shows 34606.

It also has 34607 which is the bakelite or hard rubber "spark plug terminal ferrule". I didn't use them, and if you want them I have all 7.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated. All the small details being correct add up to a much better looking vehicle really. Thanks again

The original wire was 9 mm rubber, I didn't use that for my new wires because I used 7 mm Packard rubber wire it's the best wire out there. They use it in outdoor neon signs that shine outdoors for years in the rain and snow, those neon signs run 10,000 volts or better. Get Packard unless you can find something better, not sure there IS anything better.