markgoffengel

Convertible 1934 Buick with Pictures

the body needs to be lifted off the steel chassis. Body is completely framed out in wood. Most cars were through the mid 30s and some even had wood in the early 40s, such as cadillac. Chevy went from wood to metal, mid year of 1936 for example.

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2019 at 3:40 PM, markgoffengel said:

I am pretty sure Buick went to metal in 36...

I know my '37 Roadmaster 80C Convertible Sedan still has had wood framing

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

On 8/20/2019 at 9:38 PM, markgoffengel said:

...Hopefully I will be working with someone who had a great lunch and got lucky the night before!

:)

Mark

Well, you could always buy them lunch - I won't comment on getting them lucky.  ;)

I checked out your website which gives your Buick's name.  However, the car is much too pretty to be male - I suggest you start pronouncing RHOS as "Rose".  :D

I hope someone steps up to restore her.  Unfortunately, I have neither the talent, tools, nor time.

30 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

627861-970x601.jpg

Beautiful, exceptional Buick

Hello mark I hope all is going well with the plans. Of moving.when you decide on a price for the Buick could you please let me know,I believe it could be the car we talked about,thanks. Dave

Hi everyone....

The number of people reaching out to me regarding my Buick has been overwhelming, and really hard to keep on top of. 

I have made a decision and the Buick has a new home, and I will leave it to the new owner to identify themselves if they choose to do so.

If I failed in communication with anyone, I do apologize!

I am very excited for the car and its future, and hopefully our paths will cross again!

Thank you to everyone for your excitement, encouragement, and support! And many many continued thanks go out to Greg and his Wife for graciously taking the photographs for me.

My best!

Mark

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Very good news Mark!

Glad this one found the right home. 

• Like 2

FYI, the 1936 Buicks are also full of wood, everywhere from the cowl, on back. In 1937 the small series is all metal and I believe in '38 the large series (Roadmaster and Limited) are all metal.

Glad to see this car found a home.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

Yes, 36 Fisher bodies are wood. Their promotion of the new all-steel top might leave one to believe that top is on a steel body but it isn't. As Pete Phillips pointed out, some Fisher bodies were still wood in 1937. While gathering information to rebuild my 1936 Pontiac doors, I took a bunch of pictures of the body of a 1937 Buick Roadmaster 80c. Wood everywhere.

That is a beautiful 1934. Congratulations to the new owner.

• Like 1

1936 chevy mid year lost the wood on the doors and door posts- neither model will interchange with the other.

The open bodied fishers were not made by fisher even though they were labeled fisher. There has been a constant debate to who made the open bodied cars for fisher but it is known that records from the actual fisher plants include no open cars, those being phaeton, roadster, and Cabriolet styles. Rebuilding this Buick will be basically the same as the rebuild I am just about to finish on my 32’ Olds DCR. While most of the wood reproduction is straightforward, the hinge and latch pillars are much more than bandsaw and hand plane work, especially the latch pillars. The front roof bow is also a very complicated part to make. I’ve been at my restoration for three years now with the wood work taking about four months of spare time. The pieces need to be fitted along with the metal replaced and taken off multiple times to make sure the fit is correct and everything lines up.

• Like 1

Very nice. Maybe one day when I slow down some. Have always enjoyed working with wood. I am asked all the time at work where I find the time to work on cars and do my other hobbies. I tell them easy. I don't sit inside and watch NASCAR nor Football nor Baseball.  In TX that is about equal to saying you don't breath air for most people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1