'63 console adhesive

JanZverina

I didn't want to hijack the 'Gluing Wood to Metal' thread, but it reminded me that I still haven't found an adhesive that really holds the black vinyl in place on the 63's center console and center dash section/ash tray cover. I've tried both Sta' Put and 3m Super 77, and it still starts to lift after a while, especially on a warm day. The metal surfaces are free of old adhesive and prepped with acetone or lacquer thinner, and I've applied the adhesive to both sides and waited a couple minutes per directions. Any suggestions from the experts out there?  

Good day.

On various mediums including wood  veneer to metal, I’ve had pretty good results using “Silhouette Double Sided Adhesive”.  It’s pretty thin stuff, it comes in 8x11” sheets, seems to hold pretty good, and depending on what it’s adhered to, if need be, it does come off easier than stuff that’s been glued.

I haven’t tried vinyl, but maybe the nature of the “tape” versus glue will allow it to expand/contract with the vinyl. (??) If your glue’s not working, it might be worth a try. It’s actually handy to have for other uses around the house/garage/car instead of just strips of two faced tape, which is often thicker.

I would do a few tests on random samples of vinyl to metal, and see what happens, Should be easy to find, just google the name above.

Good luck on whatever you end up doing. Keep us posted...

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

——

Gents, I hate to admit it, but I have a lot experience with adhesives.

ive found two part clear epoxy holds what I want it to hold real good. The button covers kept coming off my leather upholstery. In short, I masked the work area applied the two part epoxy to both sides of the work piece I wanted to join. I’ve used the epoxy on two button covers and they have not come off. The two part epoxy requires you READ and FOLLOW the directions for the stuff to work.

once you put it on your intent should be it stays permanently in place.

Turbinator

Thanks MikeJS, I'll give it the Silhouette double-sided stick a try.

Thanks, Turbinator. My concern with the epoxy is that if not applied smoothly it could show under the vinyl, or that it may be a bear to remove should I have to re-do a section. But I'll keep it in mind.

And RivNut Ed, you may very well be right that it's the material, not the adhesive!

-Jan 

1 hour ago, JanZverina said:

Thanks MikeJS, I'll give it the Silhouette double-sided stick a try.

Good day,.

while clicking on the “next unread topic” I came across this thread where a self-adhesive vinyl was used. Maybe have a look in page 2 of his thread... (hope this link works...)

Later, 

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

———

On 8/20/2019 at 7:24 PM, MikeJS said:

Good day.

On various mediums including wood  veneer to metal, I’ve had pretty good results using “Silhouette Double Sided Adhesive”.  It’s pretty thin stuff, it comes in 8x11” sheets, seems to hold pretty good, and depending on what it’s adhered to, if need be, it does come off easier than stuff that’s been glued.

I haven’t tried vinyl, but maybe the nature of the “tape” versus glue will allow it to expand/contract with the vinyl. (??) If your glue’s not working, it might be worth a try. It’s actually handy to have for other uses around the house/garage/car instead of just strips of two faced tape, which is often thicker.

I would do a few tests on random samples of vinyl to metal, and see what happens, Should be easy to find, just google the name above.

Good luck on whatever you end up doing. Keep us posted...

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

——

Mike, I know of no other way to contact so I apologize to all for jumping off track on the thread.

my question is did you want to see a powder coat finish of black matte on the web and vanes of a 64 cast aluminum rim? If so how do I get you the pic? If not I apologize for my confusion.

Turbinator

23 hours ago, Turbinator said:

did you want to see a powder coat finish of black matte on the web and vanes of a 64 cast aluminum rim?

Good day.

No worries, it was more of a curiosity thing if you had done the black powder coat for the '64s. Most of the photos I seen were of the silver for the '63.  Sometimes owning a '64 carries a little of the middle child syndrome...😊

Seriously, I redid my turbines a couple years ago but used rattle can black. Someday we may talk about doing them to a higher quality powder coating, but I'm not quite there yet budget wise. Sometimes I kinda wish I lived in the US, if only for availability of parts and services, shipping stuff trans-border can get pretty pricy...

Anyway, sorry, guys, now back to our regularly scheduled thread - vinyl to steel...hmmm...

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----