Water Distribution Tube - is this right?

Now I don't profess to know much about Packards, but have just been helping a mate (who also does not know much!) with his 1946 Clipper. He has an overheating problem and I know this has been raised before, but I have not been able to find any pictures of the water distribution tubes. I am familiar with the Dodge situation, but not specifically Packard.

The water pump has been removed and I attempted to remove the distribution tube, but it is stuck and I feel any more attempts will damage it.

But my question is this. When standing at the front of the car looking towards the rear, the water distribution tube has tabs bent towards the left of the car which would be behind the water pump, to stop the tube going any further in. To the right of the car, there are no tabs and a gap that one can put your finger in into the water jacket. Is this right? It would seem to bypass water from going through the tube and into the head.

Sorry, I have no photos, and the car is some distance away.

Hope someone can enlighten a couple of poor Aussi dills. Thanks, John

G'day Bullfrog,

Best I can do is a link to my post, and subsequent posts, on PackardInfo.com from when I removed the distribution tube from my '41 120. If the Clipper is an 8 it's basically the same engine, if it's a 6 similar but the same type of tube. The tubes can tend to stick because of an accummulation of crud at the back of the water jacket in and around the tube. You could try a length of strong wire with a hook at one end and try hooking one of the holes further down the tube to grip and rip it. Or try a pressure water blaster down the tube to loosen the crud. Or both.

Hope this helps - LINK

Let us know how things work out.

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)

Thanks, I had not found that thread and it is very helpful. Have modified your photo to show what I am talking about. "Tabs" is obviously the tabs to stop the tube going back too far, but my concern is the point I have marked "A". Does the tube finish flush at the front of the block? At this point I can put my finger into the water jacket to the left (right side of engine) as the tube finishes back about 3/4 inch from front of block on that side. Are tubes available in Australia?

Thanks for your help.589630210_Aussi_packardcopy.jpg.49cb19fb74dd258f14de54cb751f24c9.jpg

Tubes aren't likely to be available in Oz. You could try Kanters or Max Merritt in the US. Although I'd be hopeful you should be able reuse your tube if its brass, a little gentle panel beating should be all it needs. If it's steel that's another matter altogether.

Can't remember how far back mine went when I reinstalled it. A check, after you get it out, would be to place it alongside the engine and align the holes on the inside of the tube with the gaps between the cylinders(I think). Can't remember(I'm getting old) if the water pushing through the tube goes between the cylinders or not, might be more aligned with where the exhaust valves are because of the extreme heat there. But once you start lining it up it should become evident if that's right or not.

EDIT - Thinking a little more on the alignment, I think the tabs on the right need to be bent out to hold the tube. Can't be sure of that but I think the tube should be about flush with the front of the block. Shouldn't interfere with the water pump fit.

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)

Lucky indeed. Thanks, from all this information and photos I feel I have a pretty clear grasp of what it SHOULD look like and realise the tube in my mate's vehicle has been butchered. The front section on the RHS of the engine has been broken away and the water gallery behind exposed, the tube is actually bent back around the casting, leaving a hole big enough to easily put your thumb through (if your thumb is flexible enough to get there!!). This I feel is allowing too much water to bypass the water distribution tube. The only real fix is to replace the tube, which is probably a good thing as I think we will wreck it to get it out. As it is wrecked already, this is not a problem.

Thanks everyone for your help. John