Help, Trim a Car.

46 woodie

From what I'm told, you are the man when it comes to vehicle upholstery. Since LeBaron Bonney has closed up shop, there doesn't seem to be a supplier for 66" wide, black (or brown for that matter), "Cobra Grain" for the roof of a Woodie Station Wagon. I have searched and all I can find is 60" widths. Any ideas?

I've already called them all. All supply it in 60" widths, the width needed for a Model A Sedan. I would purchase the entire roll from what's left of LeBaron Bonney to help other Woodie owners, but there is no way to contact them. , believe me I have tried.

Well Bears Fan, the only reason I reached out to Trimacar, is that people familiar with this site recommended it, because he in very knowledgeable in auto tops and upholstery. Sorry to get you, "Confused".

Well, thanks, I know a few things about trim work, but sorry I can't tell you who has wide top material.  Contact Eric Haartz at the Haartz headquarters, I'd bet he could help you.

If you don't know an answer, it's always good to know WHO knows the answer.

Thanks trim, I contacted Haartz and they don't have it. They suggested a company called ARO and they also don't have it. They did tell me that the only way anyone can order it from a supplier is at a minimum of a 500 yard roll. Since it's only needed 66" wide for Station Wagons and widely available for cars needing only 60" that it's just not cost effective to order a run  for a handful of Woodies. Looks like we will have to put up with seams. Thanks again.

It looks like you have tried all the suggested ways so lets try out of the box.  I don't know who is handling the bankruptcy.  They may be able to tell you if there are suppliers who supplied this material.  You may have to search for the suppliers but you may find one.  You may be able to find out when their material is being liquidated.  

Because from what I have found out, it seems LeBaron Bonney was the only place that 66" wide was available. Apparently they purchased it in 500 yard rolls, I guess when times were good. Seams on the roof of '40 thru '48 Ford Woodies are incorrect. According to the Ford spec., it was covered with a one piece material, "66 wide. With the 66" roll, Lebaron could slice it down the middle and use it for roof inserts for Model A's and V-8 Fords and when needed, they could use the full width for Station Wagons. At first I couldn't believe Lebaron was the only place that had 66" wide material. I contacted every supplier suggested on this site and the V-8 site. As I have stated, I have made almost two dozen phone calls and E-Mails and cannot find it, plenty of 60" material is available however. Jan, I have tried contacting Lebaron Bonney and two former employees that I have become friendly with over the years and 5 upholstery kits. From what I have been told the whole situation is one big mess, with people trying to get deposits back, seats and tops they have sent for recovering and other materials that have been paid for.

Yes, I saw the ad from Ecklers, but when you put in the part number, it tells you that the part number does not exist. When I called Ecklers, I was told that it is available in 60" only. I wouldn't call it false advertising but more like their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing. 64"  also won't do it must be 66".

It would need to be installed in the hot sun or a hot shop in order to be tight enough, but it's possible it would stretch an inch on each side to fit.  I once put a top on a Jaguar (actually an early SS) and the material was about 3 inches short on each side (out of a kit from South Africa).  It stretched enough when heated, but I swear the opposite side wheels of the car were off the ground I was pulling so hard......

• Haha 1

EURICA!!! Got home this afternoon and received a letter including a sample of 66" wide material from the company that Bloo recommended, SMS. I did in fact E-Mail SMS about two weeks ago and was told that they only had it in 60". Naturally, I was very surprised to receive the letter, contradicting what their E-Mail said. I will give them a call tomorrow to actually talk to someone and confirm the letter. Thanks to all that have replied, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 3

My understanding of the way that SMS does business is that you better cross all your fingers and all your toes, and still wish upon shooting stars and star light star bright first star I see tonight......

Good luck, hope they have it!

Wow Trim, you are the second person to offer a negative response on SMS. My concern is that someone in their company answered my E-Mail and told me that they don't have it and yesterday I get a letter form them stating that the do have it. They are located in Oregon so I'll give them a call later today and try to get the facts. Thanks.

No Mike, the sample was only 2"x3". I did call them this afternoon and was assured that their product was 66" wide. As far as trying to use 64" roof material, it  won't work. This stuff won't stretch two inches no matter how hot and how hard you pull it. When I did my '46 Station Wagon I did it on a 90 degree day and let the material absorb the sun for an hour. The area that is of concern are the two rounded corners at the rear of the roof. I have seen them "puckered" and actually folded over incorrectly and boy does it stand out. What you want is a smooth rounded corner with no folds. It's $89 a yard so were not talking a lot of money.

Roger, that, Mike. At a minimum, someone near Canby should make a recon' run to give the forum a greater sense of the issues raised. Offering SMS a respectful, non-confrontational introduction to their customers frustration couldn't hurt, and might generate a better relationship. I would think having them read the recent discussion here might be the best way to accomplish this. In my small business career, I would have welcomed constructive criticism regarding products and customer relations.

As things stand at the present time, we, and SMS need each other. Monopolies may have a tendency towards a degree of arrogance,  but we don't really know if that is the causal factor operating in this case. SMS may be in a delicate, vulnerable position, and I suggest that our attitude be supportive, rather than otherwise. Keep LeBaron - Bonney in mind.

Canby is a bit South of Portland, East of I-5, the main drag to Salem. Perhaps a local diplomatic member with a little discretionary time could make a short side trip while "making their rounds".    -    Carl 

P.S. About to tap submit, and got behind 46'. Might still be worth while posting and considering.

Canby is about a half hour from me.

I just googled the address and I have driven by there in the past not knowing that they were there.

I might have to run by there during the week some time and see if there are any cars in the lot.

I'm not to good at sniffing around unless I have a dog in the fight.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

In 2018 I was doing a new interior in our 57 Ranchero and bought materials from both LaBaron Bonney and SMS.   Both were easy to work with and LaBaron Bonney even ran a special production of material with the Ranchero logo pressed in the vinyl.   Yes there were many phone calls and some waiting, but that's normal in most restorations.  I was sad to hear LaBaron Bonney is gone.  (I hope somebody picks it up for the millions of unfinished cars out there.)