61 LeSabre heater core question

seeholmes

I need to remove the heater core in my 61 LeSabre in order to replace the heater control valve. I think i have a handle most of the steps required. I do have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help with. 

1. How does the rear floor vent duct detach?  I cant tell due to the carpet almost completely covering the duct.

2. Should the radiator be drained prior to removal? 

3. Although the manual didn’t say, it looks like the glove box liner will beed to come out to make room to pull the box away from the dash. Any other snags to look for?

Thanks

I have done my 60 Electra. Should be very similar. :Pull the carpet back some.   The rear duct and core housing vent slipped together. I believe there was two sheet metal screws keeping them ends together.   I did not have to removed the rear duct as the entire heater core housing had enough room around it to maneuver the entire assembly out from under the dash.   I did not need to drain the radiator.   However, the core will be full of anti-freeze. Keep a towel under the assembly as you remove it from the under the dash and out of the car.  I did not need to remove my glove box liner but I would imagine it may help in giving more room to at at the heater core box.    It took me about 30 minutes to removed the heater core box.  It is not a difficult job.               

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

I have done my 60 Electra. Should be very similar. :Pull the carpet back some.   The rear duct and core housing vent slipped together. I believe there was two sheet metal screws keeping them ends together.   I did not have to removed the rear duct as the entire heater core housing had enough room around it to maneuver the entire assembly out from under the dash.   I did not need to drain the radiator.   However, the core will be full of anti-freeze. Keep a towel under the assembly as you remove it from the under the dash and out of the car.  I did not need to remove my glove box liner but I would imagine it may help in giving more room to at at the heater core box.    It took me about 30 minutes to removed the heater core box.  It is not a difficult job.               

Thanks Chris,

I figured it just slipped off the rear vent. I don't see screws but I can always look once Im removing it. Once I disconnect the heater hoses I think I will pressure transfer the fluid out of the core from the heater hose inlet. Maybe 10 psi and catch the coolant in a small container. Thanks for the feedback. Its always good to hear from someone who's done the job before.

Thanks!

Craig

I did not recall if there was screws but I do recall the rear vent could stay in place. I kind of rolled the box from top down and it disconnected from the rear vent.    Pull the carpet back a bit.  Good idea on a bit of air pressure to blow out some of the remaining coolant.  The cables that work the various doors are not to bad getting them off the levers.  You should have a access door for getting at the  heater control valve cable.   Do be careful the paper coiled hosed that service the defrost.  These get a bit easy to tear from drying out over the  years.   

• Like 1