1909 Maxwell value

sftamx1

I would bet any price guides that might list these are going to be about useless as not many probably change hands so I would bet members here could give you a better idea of a real sale price for one.   I will say they are out of my wheel house though I do find myself gravitating to older original cars as I mature. ;) 

• Like 1

I have a 1909 Maxwell model A. Look at a the HCCA for sale site as several 2cyl 1909-1912 have been sold or are for sale over the last year. My gut feel is  number 3 condition running car would be around $20,000 plus or minus a few thousand. I have seen number one condition cars go for over $30,000. 

Since you're valuing it for an estate, you likely

need something in writing, even though our opinions

here might be very useful.  I checked one comprehensive

price guide that I use, and it does not include Maxwells.

You may need to get an appraisal done by a competent

appraiser, and people here may be able to point you

in the right direction.  Where is the car located?

Is it restored to concours condition or is it a pile of rusty parts? As John mentions, documentation will be needed for all legal, estate matters. You don't post where you live, but there are people that can give you an estimate acceptable in the courts.

Wondering how "older" it is?  There has been a big shift in the differences between the quality of restorations over the years.  Forget the #2 condition evaluation, that determination is best left to the buyer or appraiser, although that's sometimes just a guestimate depending on the appraiser. Terms like "museum quality" are also not much use as a lot of such cars were only cosmetically restored.  How much has it been used since being restored?   Posting some photos here would be very helpful.  There have been enough Maxwells sold there should be some fairly accurate guesses available here, and there are certainly some antique car lovers in your area that could provide a bit more from an in-person inspection but let's start with the photos so we can steer you in the right direction.  Here is a YouTube vid of one that was offered for sale.  It looks like a nice (older) restoration  that was pretty well done.

Terry

I am interested in acquiring a car like this.  For that reason, I will withhold comment on value.  If/when you or the heirs get beyond valuation and are serious about selling, please let me know.

Andrew

That sounds about right if it's a decent runner.  It needs some freshening up but would be a good 1 and 2 cyl tour vehicle.  I see it has an electric starter added. 

Terry

I agree......22k, max. nice car, very difficult to sell. Tell the other brother to take 11k and run while he can. Look at the auction results at Pebble Beach........the exact quote was .......”blood in the street”.......across the board.