Interesting original cars at local show

Steve_Mack_CT

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

I was on the Hamb 4 times a day for 10 years,  right up until Ryan changed the format.  It took a long time to get used to it and by then I had lost the habit.

Reason I find myself on so many fb groups. So.  Doggone.  Easy.  But the handful of grest folk on this site eho despise fb keep me here daily... 😊

HAMB, Benzworld, two other sites I stopped multiple daily visits to dud to cumbersome (at least initially) changes..  AACA is not really tough to navigate though, once one figures out where the hot sub forums are..

Just now, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Reason I find myself on so many fb groups. So.  Doggone.  Easy.  But the handful of grest folk on this site eho despise fb keep me here daily... 😊

HAMB, Benzworld, two other sites I stopped multiple daily visits to dud to cumbersome (at least initially) changes..  AACA is not really tough to navigate though, once one figures out where the hot sub forums are..

So Facebook is its own world, and TOTALLY free of anything I would find on a Google search. correct?  

Yes but here is a free offer.  I need to check but am sure I can pm you the info on what was the old prewar show in Redding, now privately hosted.  We went last year, it was a blast.  Given your history w that show I think you might like it.  If you go I will show ya what I am talking about.  Used right it is another nice tool, very convenient. Pic from meet last October...  🙂

20181021_113542.jpg

On 8/19/2019 at 4:58 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Leosdad, this is the Litchfield Hills Historicsl Auto club show, aka "Goshen".  Been around a long time.  As noted, over the years the % of modifieds has really crept up, they are most of the show now, but still some interesting cars show up...

Old paint on this cool vette, but not sure it is original..

20190818_112410.jpg

I posted a ‘58 all original with this color in my post today. What year was this? Doesn’t look like a ‘58, but close. 

On 8/21/2019 at 4:23 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Welcome Mark! Good to have you here. Posting photos on this AACA Forum will drive you crazy...…………….they limit you to two a day. Your quality photo coverage of events is an AACA loss, 48 days till Hershey. Bob 

Photo limits on this site are anti productive and frustrating. How do they expect to support the hobby without lots of photos and hosting isn’t that expensive. It will eventually be their demise if they don’t fix that. It wasn’t an issue in the past. For those of you who have “fixes” they don’t work with my updated IPhone 8 and mobile is the future. 

Lots of cool people here, but the photo limits don’t make sense and are frustrating!

• Like 1

The problem most certainly is not with a Windows laptop, it’s compatibility with other platforms and needs to be addressed. I have an IT background; this is an issue only since the changes.

Because you don’t have any issues doesn’t mean there isn’t an issue with compatibility for others. We don’t want to trash the site, we want this site to continue to be relevant and user-friendly, and it won’t if only Windows Pc users and possible some others, but not all common configurations are addressed. Especially for mobile users which has grown exponentially. It worked before for us!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bob mentions the old Ridgefield, Ct meet at Veterans Park. that was the first car show I talked my parents into taking me to. we drove up modern and it had to be about 1960. I believe it was run by the Fairfield County Region HCCA when it was in its prime and then was a combination HCCA/AACA meet towards the end of its existence. It was a pre WWII meet - 1942 was the cut off date. You would see 80-100 cars attend if I recall. I attended in my 31 Franklin Derham victoria and 41 Packard '120' woody wagon. Peter Helck would drive down in Old 16 from his home in Boston Corners for it. There was a great flea market too that went around the north and east edge of the field. I believe it left the location because the town or school installed in ground sprinkler system/lines to water the grass and they didn't want the cars to crush those. To me it will always be the best old car show that I ever attended. All kinds and years of great machinery - brass era , full classics, commercial vehicles etc and I do recall even seeing an original 8 cylinder Oldsmobile conv coupe there ( black car) dated 1935. totally amazing. Frank T. Snyder the literature dealer from New Jersey was always there wearing his trademark tan stetson hat and I would add something to my literature collection from what he had for sale. I bought one of my first pressed steel pre WWII toy cars there ( 1933 Graham sedan made by the Corcoran Company. ) that I restored 40+ years ago and still have .( I went on to find and buy another 8 or 9 over the decades because they were so neat ) .

• Like 2

Thanks Walt, about this time every year guys would be racing to finish a restoration for the Ridgefield meet, I'd be looking forward to the swap meet, and Friday field setup. It was one of the few local shows with stakes & ropes to keep spectators away from the cars. 1961 was the first year there and I was 10 years old, sure made a lasting impression, both cars & their owners. The show was moved down the road to the Middle School and show and swap meet were split into fields forever loosing that special feel Veterans Park field had. The Lions Club provided all the food at the meet, it was their largest fund raising event of the year. Some club board members decided the Danbury Airport was the place to hold the show, More Room was the reason. they NEVER TOLD the Lions Club. as a life long Ridgefielder that hit me hard. I quit the club on the spot and never did another thing with them, Region is now dead, it was fun up till that point. Bob 

Bob 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Photo limits on this site are anti productive and frustrating. How do they expect to support the hobby without lots of photos and hosting isn’t that expensive. It will eventually be their demise if they don’t fix that. It wasn’t an issue in the past. For those of you who have “fixes” they don’t work with my updated IPhone 8 and mobile is the future. 

Lots of cool people here, but the photo limits don’t make sense and are frustrating!

When the change was first made, there was a chorus of "I won't do this anymore" in different threads all over the board.

It doesn't really affect my postings, because I use Imgur.com and just link them. I still notice. The long threads with pictures have largely disappeared.

This forum is a wealth of information, and discouraging people from posting pictures, especially in technical threads, but in all threads, does not bode well for the future. There are 2 issues really, one is that people wont post in the first place, and the other is that the pictures will have insufficient resolution to be useful, a common problem on old photos posted 10 or 15 years ago when 640x480 was the standard for forums.

I often use online pictures to get information about parts that a car may be missing. I blow them up huge, because I am often looking for some detail that may not have been the original purpose for the photo. High resolution digital pictures are great, low resolution digital pictures just go to pixels when you blow them up.

GaryW's 1937 Buick thread is full of high resolution pictures, and they solved lots of little mysteries for me. Restorer32 posted some scans of lithographs in a FIsher body manual (apparently an original) years ago that show detail that cannot be seen in the scans of the same book on OldCarManualProject, nor on the reprint that is sitting next to me. We are now not only discouraging such posts, but doing so at a time that the hobby is in trouble.

Its 2019. Storage is cheap. Bandwidth is cheaper than it used to be. Is the club really so broke that we can't do better than this?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bloo said:

When the change was first made, there was a chorus of "I won't do this anymore" in different threads all over the board.

It doesn't really affect my postings, because I use Imgur.com and just link them. I still notice. The long threads with pictures have largely disappeared.

This forum is a wealth of information, and discouraging people from posting pictures, especially in technical threads, but in all threads, does not bode well for the future. There are 2 issues really, one is that people wont post in the first place, and the other is that the pictures will have insufficient resolution to be useful, a common problem on old photos posted 10 or 15 years ago when 640x480 was the standard for forums.

I often use online pictures to get information about parts that a car may be missing. I blow them up huge, because I am often looking for some detail that may not have been the original purpose for the photo. High resolution digital pictures are great, low resolution digital pictures just go to pixels when you blow them up.

GaryW's 1937 Buick thread is full of high resolution pictures, and they solved lots of little mysteries for me. Restorer32 posted some scans of lithographs in a FIsher body manual (apparently an original) years ago that show detail that cannot be seen in the scans of the same book on OldCarManualProject, nor on the reprint that is sitting next to me. We are now not only discouraging such posts, but doing so at a time that the hobby is in trouble.

Its 2019. Storage is cheap. Bandwidth is cheaper than it used to be. Is the club really so broke that we can't do better than this?

Exactly! The younger generations that we all want to encourage doesn’t encounter these issues and won’t stay on this site. It needs to be fixed! Otherwise, stop spending time and energy attracting more members and roll up the club! (Not that I want to do that, but we need to take this seriously!)

• Like 2

I don't know how any of the stuff works, but I've worked around what were problems in the past, remembering how I did it is sometimes a problem. 

The !Phone is a far larger problem, if you are unconscious out in the middle of nowhere, with a phone still clutched in your hand and I happen by, you are a soon to be dead person, and I can't drive your Tesla either.

bob 

• Like 2

Bob, thanks for the update about the  Ridgefield car show history. My family first heard about it happening on the radio ( when you could listen to a local NY radio station and they gave details about local tri state family events) so that's why we went. One year my parents couldn't make it and my Franklin wasn't on the road, so I met up with John Linhardt and Don Gilbert , local AACA guys. We ride up and back in John's 1934 Packard LeBaron V12 custom boat tail coupe that he bought from Mr. Davidoff of Roslyn , NY, the original owner. John lived in Queens County. This car is today in the Bahre collection in Maine. It was a striking design and in a light off white color and was a sight to behold with its pontoon fenders. John did not drive that car slowly! 

I do recall after the meet was moved down the road to the middle school - just wasn't the same.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

I don't know how any of the stuff works, but I've worked around what were problems in the past, remembering how I did it is sometimes a problem.  The !phone is a far larger problem, if you are unconscious out in the middle of nowhere, with a phone still clutched in your hand and I happen by, you are a soon to be dead person, and I can't drive your Tesla either.

bob 

That has nothing to do with my statement. Mobile users of internet are huge. Looks at the growth numbers below. 75% of people expected to access the Internet by phone by 2025. This site used to be more compatible. This is a fixable problem. 

Do you want your club to be relevant in the future or not? It’s about business, not picking on iPhone users because you stereotype them all into one group. 🤦‍♀️

AA7E7241-FCD4-4B9D-BAF3-F2D40821C4DE.png

• Like 3

@1937hd45, I don’t remember a bunch of people walking around in the middle of nowhere carrying home phones that worked either, but here is a very important tip:

Most smart phones have the ability to call emergency numbers even when locked. Just pick up the phone and push a few buttons and you will figure it out. Unless you get distracted by looking for a land line in the middle of nowhere first. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

That has nothing to do with my statement. Mobile users of internet are huge. Looks at the growth numbers below. 75% of people expected to access the Internet by phone by 2025. This site used to be more compatible. This is a fixable problem. 

Do you want your club to be relevant in the future or not? It’s about business, not picking on iPhone users because you stereotype them all into one group. 🤦‍♀️

This is true,  once upon a time the site supported Tapatalk which did make it easier.  Although the mobile version of the site is not that hard to use, at least on a iPhone, it could probably be much better.  I would say I read it on my phone about 75% of the time.

6 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

The problem most certainly is not with a windows laptop, it’s compatibility with other platforms and needs to be addressed. I have an IT background this is an issue only since the changes.

Because you don’t have any issues doesn’t mean there isn’t an issue with compatibility for others. We don’t want to trash the site, we want this site to continue to be relevant and user friendly, and it won’t if only Windows Pc users and possible some others, but not all common configurations are addressed. Especially for mobile users which has grown exponentially. It worked before for us!

"... it’s compatibility with other platforms"? Please explain what you mean by this claim more specifically.

Understand I have been running an IP.Board forum for better than 15 years. My members don't complain as anywhere near bitterly as many folks here do.

Not to pick on Bob, but almost every time he complains he can't do something, I illustrate that it can be done.

The other issue seems to be with those who expect that their cellphone will provide the same level of functionality that a computer does. IMO it ain't gonna happen.

Facebook is limited in many ways. I term Facebook the internet for the attention deficient. It's repetitive, ephemeral, terribly fragmented, difficult to search, and unsuited to collating and disseminating a large quanitty of information and knowledge for reference over time. It has its place but is a poor substitue for a well-designed and moderated forum or website IMO. Is Facebook easy to post to and use via cellphone? Absolutely, but one pays a price for that ease of access.

As an aside, my experience with computers and coding started in 1967, well before the term 'IT' was even coined.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

This is true,  once upon a time the site supported Tapatalk which did make it easier.  Although the mobile version of the site is not that hard to use, at least on a iPhone, it could probably be much better.  I would say I read it on my phone about 75% of the time.

I agree it’s not hard to use. The only difference I’ve noticed is that it’s harder now to upload photos. 

8 hours ago, gwells said:

"... it’s compatibility with other platforms"? Please explain what you mean by this claim more specifically.

Understand I have been running an IP.Board forum for better than 15 years. My members don't complain as anywhere near bitterly as many folks here do.

Not to pick on Bob, but almost every time he complains he can't do something, I illustrate that it can be done.

The other issue seems to be with those who expect that their cellphone will provide the same level of functionality that a computer does. IMO it ain't gonna happen.

Facebook is limited in many ways. I term Facebook the internet for the attention deficient. It's repetitive, ephemeral, terribly fragmented, difficult to search, and unsuited to collating and disseminating a large quanitty of information and knowledge for reference over time. It has its place but is a poor substitue for a well-designed and moderated forum or website IMO. Is Facebook easy to post to and use via cellphone? Absolutely, but one pays a price for that ease of access.

As an aside, my experience with computers and coding started in 1967, well before the term 'IT' was even coined.

I’m glad your members don’t complain, but it’s important to think about attracting new ones. I’m not questioning your abilities and certainly not comparing it to FB for my own use. I also didn’t know you were someone who is in charge of the mechanics of this forum. 

The point is we want to attract younger members so we need to make it mobile compatible so they will use it, not try to control their behaviors so we can demand that they accept our current standards and not use mobile. That certainly won’t work. The board worked fine before, so I’m surprised it doesn’t now. I have no idea what all is involved, however. 

Agreed, but it is an important issue.

I'll see if my admin 'powers' will allow me to split the discussion off into another thread.

But first, please respond to my reply to your PM, so I can confirm what the problem is in inserting no more than three images in a single post. If my suspicion proves correct, it is not a software problem, but a user issue.

The point is we want to attract younger members so we need to make it mobile compatible so they will use it, not try to control their behaviors so we can demand that they accept our current standards and not use mobile. That certainly won’t work. The board worked fine before, so I’m surprised it doesn’t now. I have no idea what all is involved, however. 

I believe your thesis that this forum is "incompatible" with mobile platforms in in error and if you'll work with me behind the scenes, I think I can explain what the problem is and how to resolve it.

image.png

I Pm’d Gwells, but since it seems many are curious, I will explain here, I just feel bad that this thread got off topic. 

From my phone (IPhone 8 Plus, latest OS software installed and previous software updates also had this issue),  I can only upload 3 photos at a time. I don’t use the high res setting, so it’s not that. I used to be able to upload without issue. The real problem though, is after I post the first three, I can not easily post any more, even in another post on the same thread. So, for example, if I took 10 pics at a car show, it’s nearly impossible to post any after the first three. I get errors. It started months ago and it never used to be an issue using the same phone (as you could tell from some of my older posts from texas when y’all were helping me identify stuff). I posted a lot of photos all the time. 

So, same phone, same photo size, NEW problem uploading more than 3 photos in a thread, even with separate posts. I can’t even post 1 more pic in a new post without an error about file size, but it’s the same photo I already posted and has the same file size. The only thing different is an update on the board a awhile back. I’ve seen several others reference the same issue. I’d be curious if they also have iPhones or if Droid users have this problem also. 

Those of you not having the problem or posting one pic and saying there is no problem obviously don’t understand what I’m saying. I can also upload from my laptops (both Mac and Pc), just fine. But I take my pics from my phone, so transferring them to a computer is a hassle.  

Over 40% of all people currently use mobile devices to access internet and that’s growing by leaps and bounds. It’s even higher with younger people. So, if it’s a compatibility issue with a Mac OS and the forum software, we need to resolve it or people will get discouraged and not stay jere, or at a minimum not post pics. 

32 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

So, same phone, same photo size, NEW problem uploading more than 3 photos in a thread, even with separate posts. I can’t even post 1 more pic in a new post without an error about file size, but it’s the same photo I already posted and has the same file size. The only thing different is an update on the board a awhile back. I’ve seen several others reference the same issue. I’d be curious if they also have iPhones or if Droid users have this problem also.

I don't believe the file size error is special to the phone.  I get it all the time posting via Firefox on a different Windows 10 machines.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I don't believe the file size error is special to the phone.  I get it all the time posting via Firefox on a different Windows 10 machines.

Good to know. I suggested a separate thread to ask people having the issues what their hardware and software configs are to help the webmasters. 

Have you tried a different browser?

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Back to the modified Ford coupe.  AACA will either figure out a way of integrating some modefieds into our family or it will fade away like the original cars themselves.  Personally I love perfectly restored cars to original condition,  that is all I have, but I have learned from my efforts to recruit new members for our local chapter that we need to embrace some form of "Hot Rods".  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Avanti Bill said:

Back to the modified Ford coupe.  AACA will either figure out a way of integrating some modefieds into our family or it will fade away like the original cars themselves.  Personally I love perfectly restored cars to original condition,  that is all I have, but I have learned from my efforts to recruit new members for our local chapter that we need to embrace some form of "Hot Rods".  

IF that '32 Coupe had raced back in the day and there is proof of it, it could apply for Race Car Certification. If it passed it could then be shown in class 24A. There are far to many late model cars on the Hershey field now IMO and opening the door to every Street Rod on the planet isn't the way to go. Bob 

Ditto, Bob. Agree 100%. AACA certainly has no need to tread that slippery slope. The validation of our mission is confirmed by our huge size. If a time comes when we need to have modified cars to survive, our mission will have faded into obscurity. There will then be no reason for our survival anyway. By the way, I love creative well engineered hot rods, customs (particularly snakey led sleds), even rats, and the modified class now accepted by Cadillac & LaSalle Club. But ya can't power a modified Cad with some other make engine if you want to be "in". Yer either IN, or yer OUT. Bill, you obviously know the policy of AACA. Modified : OUT ! Plenty of other places exist for them, and I would be perfectly happy to see them there.     -    Cadillac Carl 

• Like 1

I do know the policy of AACA and I personally am an original car person myself but the facts speak for themselves,  most of the car hobbyist active today are into various forms of modifieds .  This is validated by our diminishing size!  Ask yourself why the Cadillac-LaSalle club, certainly one of the oldest marque clubs in the country,  has embraced modifieds.

It is nice to have a place where you can go ask a question like "In 1926, what color did Flubbermobile paint the Third Fetzer Valve, and did they install it with the vent up or down?" and get actual answers instead of 3 pages of "It's your car, you can paint it any color you want to" and "the valve functions equally well mounted either way" and "If you would just install a one wire alternator, you could get rid of the Third Fetzer Valve AND the Dumoflozzie as well".

These forums and the VCCA seem to be the last 2 places on earth.

On the other hand, there are numerous other forums and other clubs that cater to modified cars, some of which do it very well.

Rodding at this point is a very old hobby. So is the musclecar culture I grew up in. I go to the local cruise in, and hear people talking about their grandchildren and great grandchildren. Nothing wrong with that. It illustrates that on average they aren't much younger than restorers, maybe 10 years. 10 years is about what it will take for the rodders and musclecar people to be in the same boat we are in now. You want young? Bring in JDM.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)