Thinking of going to check out a low mileage 95 Riviera from a local Craigslist post. The post notes that the ABS light is on and just needs a “sensor”.

I am assuming this is a wheel speed sensor. Any experience replacing these? Does the hub have to be replaced as well?

I have access to a scanner that should read any ABS codes as well and would give me a better idea what the issue is when I get there. Trying to get an idea how much to take off on price to deal with this issue.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Not sure about the 1995, but the 1997 required the replacement of the entire hub because it is a sealed unit.  It wasn’t cheap to replace and is a common issue with the last generation Riviera.  You are looking at around $300 or more but it has been a number of years since I had to do this.

Edited by Pat Curran
Update content (see edit history)

Thanks. I have found a listing for the just sensor that says it fits 95. Although I see just the sensor for 97 as well.

They are about $20-$40 a piece or $100 each for the hub with sensor.

Posted (edited)

I think that more often than not, the sensor is the "canary in a coal mine" for a failing hub bearing...  The sensor itself is simply a coil of wire with no moving parts, so it is inherently reliable.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1