beware of scams

Jack Welch

I have had an ad on the forum, both under Buick buy / sell and AACA parts wanted looking for a 1940 large series intake manifold. I had several replies from bona fide Buick and AACA guys and, I ended up finding three legit ones. I bought from the first authentic seller. I also had two scam offers offering to sell to me. One actually used one of the photos from the gentleman that. I bought from. The scary part is that he had PM'd me those photos. So someone hacked his account or mine. The other one was from. a seller with no profile on the forum, so that was a give away. I would say to be careful who you buy from or sell to . There are bad guys out there and some of them have access to this forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jack if you received a PM from a scammer, please hit the report button on the PM so the scammer will be reported to the moderators. The moderators need to know about scammers who have registered on the forum. If you report it, they can ban the scammer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Jack if you received a PM from a scammer, please hit the report button on the PM so the scammer will be reported to the moderators. The moderators need to know about scammers who have registered on the forum. If you report it, they can ban the scammer. 

Thanks Matt: I have just done that, It looks like he is getting in the back door some how. no profile or listing of him on this forum, yet he has a way of PM and making it appear legit. Had another scammer email me . (not sure how he got my email) and send me one of the photos of the legit seller to prove he had a manifold. He was looking for payment in bit coin. (always a red flag to me)

If he has been banned, he should not be able to send you a PM through the forum. He could possibly send you an email that is designed to make it look like it came through the forum, but if the moderators have banned him, he can't send you a PM. Perhaps they have not yet banned him. 

As far as someone getting your email address, with a simple web search using your name and city of residence that is shown on the left side of each of your posts, it is not difficult to track down an email address for you.

• Like 1

... That's right.  Never list your telephone number or show your town or any particular definite information or stats on you.  If you live on the western part of the states put your location as west of the rockies or the left coast.  On the east coast do likewise.  There is no real need to put your exact location on your header.  My location ? : Hotel California ! 

• Like 1

Jack,

There are several websites that allow you to find most of a persons personal contact info (telephone and email addresses). Some of those sites are even free to access where others require a fee to use.

If you list your full name or your telephone number online, I guarantee you some bad actor will pick it up and use it to start spamming you or offer you scam deals.

I am pretty sure I can find your phone number, email address and current residence location just from the information in your AACA.org profile. You might want to change your display name and remove your exact location.

My two cents worth...

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

It won't really do Jack much good to obscure his identity and location here. His name, phone number, and email address are publicly posted on the BCA website as well as other locations on the internet. There is really no such thing as privacy for any of us anymore. We should still be vigilant about reporting spammers and scammers on this site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

None of these scammers who send these messages on this forum are going to seek anyone out in real life or use their personal information for anything untoward. They're looking for people who so desperately want something that they don't do their due diligence or even engage their brains to think about what's being offered. These scammers simply see that you're looking for something, send you a message that they have it, and instruct you to send them money via Western Union (which is untraceable and non-refundable). They probably send out thousands of such messages every day and even if the response rate is 1%, it probably adds up. I'm quite certain more than 1% of the human race is made up of gullible fools. The AACA hasn't been singled out any more than the guys who collect vintage pencil boxes have been singled out, and I'm sure they get the same messages.

These aren't smart scammers running a long con or doing a data mining operation. They're poor schmucks who probably don't speak English working in a sweatshop type environment full of computers in another country where one boss has them sending out tens of thousands of such messages to every person seeking something on every message board on the internet (this is why they always say they have the "item" you want, and don't talk in specifics--they are just cutting and pasting the message over and over). The personal exposure to you, one of the random targets, is virtually nil. They won't track you down and aren't going to use any information they get from you to do any additional harm. It's a low-grade, simple scam without any sophistication.

If if feels funny, it is.

If Western Union is even mentioned, it's definitely a scam.

But beyond that, you haven't been "targeted" other than being someone who posted on a message board that he was willing to pay to own something. Be smart, but don't be afraid. These aren't smart people or criminal masterminds. You're in no danger as long as you don't send them any money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Jack,

There are several websites that allow you to find most of a persons personal contact info (telephone and email addresses). Some of those sites are even free to access where others require a fee to use.

If you list your full name or your telephone number online, I guarantee you some bad actor will pick it up and use it to start spamming you or offer you scam deals.

I am pretty sure I can find your phone number, email address and current residence location just from the information in your AACA.org profile. You might want to change your display name and remove your exact location.

My two cents worth...

Thanks for your input, I sit on several Boards including the Buck Club, and including a Municipal Board in the City where I live, so my info is really not very hard to get. The good news is that I am a cheap old yankee that throws nickels around like they are man hole covers, so I am not too easy to fall victim to a scam.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 10:15 AM, Jack Welch said:

Thanks for your input, I sit on several Boards including the Buck Club, and including a Municipal Board in the City where I live, so my info is really not very hard to get. The good news is that I am a cheap old yankee that throws nickels around like they are man hole covers, so I am not too easy to fall victim to a scam.

Good Lord that's funny

• Like 1

I listed a set of Kwik-Lift drive on ramps on Craigslist. I received a text from a Los Angeles area code to buy them. I called to tell the buyer how far New York was. He said he had just moved to New York. I told him I was 400 miles from the "I Love" location. That was fine, he'd send a bank check. I received a text that the check was mailed on the following Monday. AND he included the mover's fee plus a $100 tip for me. Our relationship ended with that text.

The Kwik-Lift was advertised at $1200. I have a check on my desk for $2550 from a construction company in Michigan. It is folded over and sitting on top of my Seagate NAS. I will leave it there for a while because it makes me smile.

A person once told me I am too honest to own a business. If I could harness that intuitive honesty into being a crook I bet MY checks would get cashed.

Well, back to work. I am doing a business plan to sell copper impregnated elbow bands to manhole cover throwers. I figure I can get $19.95 for them. Might be able to include a second one free for an extra charge.

Bernie

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I listed a set of Kwik-Lift drive on ramps on Craigslist. I received a text from a Los Angeles area code to buy them. I called to tell the buyer how far New York was. He said he had just moved to New York. I told him I was 400 miles from the "I Love" location. That was fine, he'd send a bank check. I received a text that the check was mailed on the following Monday. AND he included the mover's fee plus a $100 tip for me. Our relationship ended with that text.

The Kwik-Lift was advertised at $1200. I have a check on my desk for $2550 from a construction company in Michigan. It is folded over and sitting on top of my Seagate NAS. I will leave it there for a while because it makes me smile.

A person once told me I am too honest to own a business. If I could harness that intuitive honesty into being a crook I bet MY checks would get cashed.

Well, back to work. I am doing a business plan to sell copper impregnated elbow bands to manhole cover throwers. I figure I can get $19.95 for them. Might be able to include a second one free for an extra charge.

Bernie

$19.95 is cheap, I would have expected to pay $29.95 plus the free one. As long as they are not sold in stores.