TOURING a Parker Brother Car game from the 1920's anyone ever heard of this ?

Mark Gregory

NOT MINE

Description

This 90 year old item has the original box, all 99 playing cards and copy of the instructions. Playing the popular old Parker Brothers card game of Touring gives a jaunt back in time. Players attempt to complete a trip (made up of sixteen mile cards), while overcoming any obstacles which may occur during their travels. Along with the highest mile per hour card of 30MPH (allowed to be played only when driving through the country), the images on the cards offer depictions of old time style automobiles and convey the limiting conditions of early vehicles and drivers

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

Looks like fun!  As a kid I always wanted to be the "race car" when playing Parker Bros, Monopoly Game.  Even though one wheel of our cast race car was missing.  Sure beat video games.

And last but not least, the 1906 Edition which of which “Touring” was first invented by the Wallie Dorr Company of New York in 1906. The original game had the same card titles although the illustrations were different. The last box picture here in brown, I'm not sure on the date, but I think it was a box cover update possibly sometime in the teens between when the original red box in 1906 pictured came out and the 1926 Edition came out, and before Parker Brothers acquired the game.

Screenshot_20190818-101705_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190818-100434_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190818-100905_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by 29StudiePrez
Edit (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also ran across a 1929 Parker Bros. game ad the shows the game in red, grey and black, looks like the 1926 Version so I dont know if there is an actual 1929 set in a different color than the 1926 version or it's just the printing of the Ad. I haven't actually run across an Edition box that says 1929, but that doesn't mean ones not out there.

Screenshot_20190818-095331_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190818-095308_eBay.jpg

Here is another interesting Parker Brothers auto related game from my collection.

Terry

Buster Bumps Automobile Trip.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Looks similar to Milles Bornes.  I've played it and it's pretty fun. It's still published and available for about $15 from Amazon, Walmart, Barnes & Noble, etc.

250px-Millbornescelarge.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille_Bornes

I thought of this the moment I saw the touring game... was great fun when I was a kid. I'll have to pick it up for some touring down memory lane!

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)

Don’t forget the bingo card game where you opened the little plastic window of a make of car when you saw it on the road. When you saw enough cars to make a bingo row, you won.  The old bingo cards had Rambler, Studebaker, Plymouth, Nash and so on as the makes to identify.  It would be impossible to play those cards today unless you are at Hershey.

• Like 2

I have never seen so many different variations of "Touring"! I have had a set (the 1926 type pictured earlier) for almost fifty years now. YIKES! I just realized I have had it longer than it was old when I got it! Oh well. We played it for kicks a few times. I also have a set of "Lindy" in the little brown box.

Thanks to all that showed newer and older versions of the game (and others). I did not realize there were so many.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

On the subject of games, Milton Bradley made a game called “The Test Driver Game at the Chrysler Corp. Proving Grounds” in the late 50s. I thought the box art was so cool I scanned it and reprinted it at about 300%. Hanging in my kitchen is this giant game box.

IMG_5060.jpeg

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, CarNucopia said:

On the subject of games, Milton Bradley made a game called “The Test Driver Game at the Chrysler Corp. Proving Grounds” in the late 50s. I thought the box art was so cool I scanned it and reprinted it at about 300%. Hanging in my kitchen is this giant game box.

IMG_5060.jpeg

We used to have that and I played the heck out of it. Driving over those ribbed roads, I felt like I was really driving.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 12:05 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

Looks like fun!  As a kid I always wanted to be the "race car" when playing Parker Bros, Monopoly Game.  Even though one wheel of our cast race car was missing.  Sure beat video games.

Ummmm.... there weren't any video games when you were a kid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1