dgamble

Oldsmobile Starfire 66

Hello! Recently I purchased a 66 starfire. The interior needs to be completely restored however I'm having a very difficult time trying to find a back seat for this car.  Any advice on how to find parts that are either for this exact year, make, model or ones that are same year to fit with the look. I don't want to restore it unless it's going to be similar to the original look.  Nothing modern day

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, dgamble said:

...I don't want to restore it unless it's going to be similar to the original look.  

To make sure you spend your money wisely,

don't do something SIMILAR.  Most hobbyists here

would recommend redoing something exactly

as it was.  Otherwise, when you eventually try to sell the car,

the incorrect interior, even if subtly different, will make

the car harder to sell and detract from its value.

Do you mean you need the seat itself?  Maybe some

Olds experts can tell you good junkyards, and maybe the

actual seat can be obtained from other Olds models of

1966 and surrounding years.  Starfires are pretty popular,

so surely someone has been in a similar situation and can advise.

Correct material is probably available from SMS Auto Fabrics

in Oregon, because they have materials that might not be

found elsewhere.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Try French Lake Auto Parts for a seat.

In the years prior to 1966 the Starfire was nothing more than a "gussied up" 88.  Assuming that to be the case, an 88 back seat should give you a factory fit.  Yes, it will need Starfire coverings.  As someone else has already point out, you best bet for original material is SMS Fabrics. 

Welcome to the forum! If you are new to Oldsmobiles you should join the Oldsmobile Club of America, they have model specific advisors to help with your project. Also join the Classic Oldsmobile forum at  https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/  - good for both parts and information. Lastly, join the 1961-66 Olds Starfire Facebook group at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/480186468822798/  - this is a Starfire only group with lots of sales emphasis but also lots of expertise. Show us some photos of your car, here is my "Gussied Up 88".

DSCF1082.JPG

54 minutes ago, D Yaros said:

In the years prior to 1966 the Starfire was nothing more than a "gussied up" 88.

And that was still true in the 1966 model year. Just be aware of potential differences in seat frame width for hardtops, post cars, and convertibles. Also, does your rear seat cushion have a speaker or not - that will also be a difference.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, D Yaros said:

In the years prior to 1966 the Starfire was nothing more than a "gussied up" 88.  Assuming that to be the case, an 88 back seat should give you a factory fit.  Yes, it will need Starfire coverings.  As someone else has already point out, you best bet for original material is SMS Fabrics. 

Not so. In 1954 a Starfire, a new personal luxury coupe and convertible  called the Starfire 98 has a 126" wheelbase and the 88 has a 122" wheelbase.

1954 Olds Starfire get's a new styling feature called "sweep cut fender well styling" front and especially rear for the first time. The 88 won't get this feature until 1956, unless you count the 1955 Olds 88 with the swept cut feature in the rear fender skirt which doesn't count.

I might add that the 1954 Starfire is a full two styling cycles ahead of Chevrolet, Pontiac and Cadillac. Slab styling, sweep cut front and rear fender styling and a panoramic windshield ( 88 gets this too) whose "A" pillar swept back past 90 degrees won't be picked up by Cadillac until 1957, and Chevy and Pontiac until 1958! Buick does use that windshield and goes it's own with a open wheel well design no other division will use.

A 54 88:

Image result for image of 1954 olds 88

A 54 Starfire 98:

Image result for image of 1954 olds starfire

The 1955-1957 Starfire/98 all use 126" wheelbase and the 88 is on 122

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Not so. In 1954 a Starfire, a new personal luxury coupe and convertible  called the Starfire 98 has a 126" wheelbase and the 88 has a 122" wheelbase.

1954 Olds Starfire get's a new styling feature called "sweep cut fender well styling" front and especially rear for the first time. The 88 won't get this feature until 1956, unless you count the 1955 Olds 88 with the swept cut feature in the rear fender skirt which doesn't count.

I might add that the 1954 Starfire is a full two styling cycles ahead of Chevrolet, Pontiac and Cadillac. Slab styling, sweep cut front and rear fender styling and a panoramic windshield ( 88 gets this too) whose "A" pillar swept back past 90 degrees won't be picked up by Cadillac until 1957, and Chevy and Pontiac until 1958! Buick does use that windshield and goes it's own with a open wheel well design no other division will use.

A 54 88:

Image result for image of 1954 olds 88

A 54 Starfire 98:

Image result for image of 1954 olds starfire

I was about to make the same comparison, but you did it better.

A friend in New Mexico some years back did a fantastic restoration on a '56 Starfire convertible - an aamazing and beautiful car

"Gussied up 88" ?!? :angry: Where's the outraged smiley?!? And from Oldsmobile people on top of it! Oh, my goodness gracious...

Can ya tell I HAVE Starfires?

Any 65-66 GM B-body two-door hardtop rear seat  structure should work if it has the speaker grille. That will include: Chevrolet Impala/Caprice, Pontiac Catalina/Bonneville/GP,  Buick LeSabre/Wildcat. 67-8 MAY work as the body structure is basically the same, but may be some difference.

66 Starfire, 88 and Ninety Eight use the same speaker grilles with a Rocket emblem. 64-5 is Starfire-specific with 4-pointed star emblem.The other carlines will have their own speaker grille trim.

Do you have front seats so you can duplicate the Starfire stitching pattern? 66 was all vinyl and the Madrid grain vinyl is common to many  60s GM cars, so it shouldn't be hard to find unless it's one of the rare colors like Autumn Bronze. Chevrolet used that color as well so it shouldn't be unobtainium- though you will find a Starfire has a lot of that. 

What color is your 66?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Forgot to mention that like the Pontiac Grand Prix ( based on Catalina) after 1962 the Olds Starfire uses a different roof than the Dynamic 88 hardtop. The Starfire (63-64) uses a concave backlight and the Dynamic 88 uses the simulated convertible hardtop. So even though that 2nd generation Starfire resides on the short wheelbase 88 chassis, it's trim-interior and exterior, roof section, and engine HP level is different than 88.

1963 Dynamic 88:

66859772-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=58The 63 Starfire; note the backlight;

65736017-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=258Oldsmobile Starfire 1963 #2

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The 1965-66 rear roof sections between Starfire and Dynamic are also different. The 88 gets the fastback new roof, and the Starfire gets a new concave backlight, hardly a gussied up 88! ;

88:

67327109-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=36

The Starfire;

66197389-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=181

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rocketraider said:

"Gussied up 88" ?!? :angry: Where's the outraged smiley?!? And from Oldsmobile people on top of it! Oh, my goodness gracious...

Can ya tell I HAVE Starfires?

Plenty of outrage on this and other forums, not worth adding to it. Those of us with Starfires know all the differences and the effect of the entire package. Although that is kind of like saying a W-30 442 is just a "Gussied up F85". Hmmm...

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Plenty of outrage on this and other forums, not worth adding to it. Those of us with Starfires know all the differences and the effect of the entire package. Although that is kind of like saying a W-30 442 is just a "Gussied up F85". Hmmm...

Speaking about 442 and a  diversion to Pontiac GTO. Before these two cars became their own series. The 64-65 Pontiac GTO was always a LeMans, a option on the LeMans's style #. Oldsmobile was different. You could order a F85 with the 442 option, or you could order a Cutlass with the 442 option.

It always pains me when the so called experts call a early Pontiac GTO a Tempest GTO. Technically it's a Pontiac Tempest LeMans GTO until 1966.

However technically a F-85 442 is a gussied up F-85.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 1:07 PM, joe_padavano said:

And that was still true in the 1966 model year. Just be aware of potential differences in seat frame width for hardtops, post cars, and convertibles. Also, does your rear seat cushion have a speaker or not - that will also be a difference.

more like a fancier chevy impala than an olds 88

On 8/19/2019 at 12:52 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

Although that is kind of like saying a W-30 442 is just a "Gussied up F85". Hmmm...

Which is exactly what it is.

And yes, I own two of them (W-30s).

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2019 at 4:03 PM, Pfeil said:

My statement may have been a bit more accurate if I had said 1960s era Starfires -

5 minutes ago, D Yaros said:

My statement may have been a bit more accurate if I had said 1960s era Starfires -

Which we all understood without saying it...

1 hour ago, D Yaros said:

Still not so. Look at the roof sections between the 63-64 cars, and the 65-66 cars. They are not fancy 88's!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Still not so. Look at the roof sections between the 63-64 cars, and the 65-66 cars. They are not fancy 88's!!

Sorry, but the shape of the roof is just sheet metal. The difference between the Starfire (and Jetstar I) roofline and that of the 88s is irrelevant. A four door has a different roof from a two door. Does that mean it is a substantially different car? Or how about the 1970 Cutlass vs Cutlass Supreme. They were mechanically identical except for the roofline. Even the doors interchanged. Is the Supreme anything more than a fancy Cutlass? You seem to be drinking the marketing Kool Aid.

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Sorry, but the shape of the roof is just sheet metal. The difference between the Starfire (and Jetstar I) roofline and that of the 88s is irrelevant. A four door has a different roof from a two door. Does that mean it is a substantially different car? Or how about the 1970 Cutlass vs Cutlass Supreme. They were mechanically identical except for the roofline. Even the doors interchanged. Is the Supreme anything more than a fancy Cutlass? You seem to be drinking the marketing Kool Aid.

If what you are saying is true a 1968 442 is just a Cutlass. They are different style #'s and drivetrains that's why Olds finally changed them over to their own series in 1968 and that's why a Starfire has a different series number. Same hold true and more for Starfire and that roofline makes a huge difference and is relevant and makes it perfectly clear on the street that these cars are different. If sheet metal and square tubing didn't matter a Olds 98  2dr hardtop is the same as a 88 in your eye.   

18 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

If what you are saying is true a 1968 442 is just a Cutlass. They are different style #'s and drivetrains that's why Olds finally changed them over to their own series in 1968 and that's why a Starfire has a different series number. Same hold true and more for Starfire and that roofline makes a huge difference and is relevant and makes it perfectly clear on the street that these cars are different. If sheet metal and square tubing didn't matter a Olds 98  2dr hardtop is the same as a 88 in your eye.   

My 1968 W-30, 69 442, and 69 H/O all have 3687 style codes on the cowl tags, so even Fisher Body thought they were just a Cutlass...

The Ninety Eight has a longer wheelbase than the D88. Other than that, they ARE mechanically the same. The Vista Cruiser is mechanically the same as the Cutlass wagon of the same year, except for the 5" longer wheelbase and 5" longer back doors.

15 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

My 1968 W-30, 69 442, and 69 H/O all have 3687 style codes on the cowl tags, so even Fisher Body thought they were just a Cutlass...

The Ninety Eight has a longer wheelbase than the D88. Other than that, they ARE mechanically the same. The Vista Cruiser is mechanically the same as the Cutlass wagon of the same year, except for the 5" longer wheelbase and 5" longer back doors.

Doesn't matter according to you, it's just a little extra square tubing and a little longer sheet metal. 

Yes the early years the GTO was just an option on the LeMans platform however if it has the original sheet metal you can tell which it started as. Of course they are now all bagged resto-mods withLS engines so does not matter.

ps 64 Grand Prix also had a concave backlight. (but I always liked the '63 better)

sc0509-78831_2.jpg

39 minutes ago, padgett said:

Yes the early years the GTO was just an option on the LeMans platform however if it has the original sheet metal you can tell which it started as. Of course they are now all bagged resto-mods withLS engines so does not matter.

ps 64 Grand Prix also had a concave backlight. (but I always liked the '63 better)

sc0509-78831_2.jpg

The 63 GP has the very same roof as the 64.

A 63;

Image result for 1963 pontiac grand prix

• Like 1