21 hours ago, David Hambleton said:

Here's the fleet coachJC refers to; the Model A is more house-appropriate

If the 15 light window effect is done with a plastic grid the Fiero's are OK.

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

If the 15 light window effect is done with a plastic grid the Fiero's are OK.

Well we're partially ok then, lol!  The upstairs and sunroom windows are vinyl replacements.  😀

Three pages of discussion on a 1980s automobile, this is great!

if you start a seperate thread,  you may already know the convertibles were leakin lenas, said Kukla Fran & Olie. 

I have a Haartz top on mine, it does not leak even in a car wash.

On 8/21/2019 at 4:07 PM, 60FlatTop said:

bunch of the 215-8 and V6 rights back from British Leyland.

Padgett is right, Buick only bought the V-6 engine rights AND tooling back from AMC. They never went back to the aluminum V-8 design of the 60s. Late 70s Buicks had either the  231 V-6 or the cast iron 350 until they got the GM family engines (260, 301, 305, 307, etc.)

I took a tour of the Buick Flint engine plant in 1988 and they told the story of blowing the dirt out of the plant floor holes to bolt the V-6 tooling right back in the exact same spot it was in when it left in 1967!

For mid 80s troubleshooting, get a Snap ON Red Brick, aka MT2500. Still a lot of them on Ebay for sale. Usually comes with Domestic Primary Cartridge and Domestic Troubleshooter Cartridge. Even works for that weird 1995 OBD 1.5 that Park Avenues and some Camaros use.

Fun thing about the Aluminum V8 was that it was used in Australia before Rover etc (also Morgan +8 and the Triumph TR8 - shape of things to come) and Jack Brabham (Repco) used one to win the Formula ! world championship in 1966

On 8/22/2019 at 8:09 PM, Hans1 said:

if you start a seperate thread,  you may already know the convertibles were leakin lenas, said Kukla Fran & Olie. 

Both my '41 and '54 Caddys have Haartz tops,

and neither of them leak !

On 8/22/2019 at 9:09 PM, Hans1 said:

Years ago I had a '62 Buick Electra and removed the roof. It was very presentable even with the top off.

I never got a picture of it without the roof back in the chemical film days.

009.thumb.jpg.a08512cd4680365bb6668b077af05d24.jpg

One day there was a local car show in town and a few droplets in the air. I stood in the garage doorway thinking about it. Then aw, what the heck. Off I went completely open, Olefin exposed.

I got to the show and the rain came with a vengeance. So I got into a friend's '57 Ford cloth top convert.

It didn't make much difference..

One of the fun things about my '01 Merc retractible is that if it rains on the console, it won't shift. Trust the Germans to build a convertible that can't get wet.