Mad_Bohemian

There's GOT to be a way...Brake Accumulator

That TC which I sent a photo of in the SUBJECT line "THINKING ABOUT PAINTING MY 90 5 SPEES" has been converted to a 3.0L with a 5 speed. I drove it on Interstate 40, real fun to drive.

• Like 1

Thanks for the picture of the checklist you showed me Hemi.  I'm struggling to figure out some of it so I'm looking for a mechanic in The Coachella Valley area that knows how to work on the electrical part of the brakes. I've found out that 3 auto shops out here (Exotic Car Services, Davies and Gabor Foreign) won't work on them.  The pump motor works when I used a jump wire at the relay and I believe from the testing I did on the relay that it is good.  I really feel I'm close to figuring this out and it is something simple.  You don't suppose it has anything to do with the "4 warning lights not working" that you and I went over when we met in Laughlin do you?  I wonder if anyone has any leads for a mechanic me?

I found a mechanic that walked me through the electrical functions and we found that the pressure switch has failed.  Is part number AC Delco #25530882 the correct pressure switch replacement part? 

Part image

Last Sunday I wrote "I would suspect the pressure switch first, the ABS controller last."  Glad you found that to be the cause, the Chrysler part # is 4464005. It appears that GM# 25530882 is the correct part you need.

Has anyone ever posted the instructions on how to change out the pressure control switch?  I can't seem to find any instructions on this.  Is a special tool needed?image.thumb.png.3cac37c89b739bbe7974a2f95e7fe9fc.png

There is likely a special socket, but you can ‘break it loose’ with a pair of “water-pump pliers. Be sure that the system is pressured DOWN, even though the system has been inoperative, you did manage to power up the pump!

Once it is loose and unplugged, just unscrew it. Screw in the new one snugly, plug it in and the system should power up when you turn on the ignition. Make sure you have no leaks. Clean all spilled brake fluid with a water rinse and blow away residual water with compressed air.

I'm thankful to hear that it should be a relatively easy operation.  I was curious what would happen if I tested the new pressure control switch by plugging the 5 pin electrical connection in it without screwing it in to the brake unit and turning on the ignition.  Would it make some sort of sound or vibration?

Hi, I was going through some old parts that I had bought for my TC and found an accumulator that is new/old stock. I found that the speed sensors were damaged when the previous owner had the struts replaced so I am going to convert the brakes using Hemi Dudes article. I will not need this. Asking $150 plus shipping. Contact @ ny72satellite@yahoo dot com

accumulator1.jpg

4 hours ago, TC KER said:

I'm thankful to hear that it should be a relatively easy operation.  I was curious what would happen if I tested the new pressure control switch by plugging the 5 pin electrical connection in it without screwing it in to the brake unit and turning on the ignition.  Would it make some sort of sound or vibration?

I WOULD NOT DO THAT! Theoretically it would energize the system and run the pump continuously, IT WOULD NOT SHUT OFF, I suspect.  

Install it and let us know the result.

Buy that accumulator above, if still available.

Ok,

The new pressure control switch is supposed to arrive 1 week from today so I'll install it soon after that.  I already put a new accumulator on about a week or so ago; I paid $280 for it on Ebay:  https://www.ebay.com/p/1142294990

Total amount:    $280.00 USD

Order Description:    New ABS Brake Accumulator - Jaguar JLM1907 -  Saab 4002267 - Delco 25528382

Message:    Item Id: 382980992739 Buyer's Vehicle: 1990 Chrysler TC Maserati Base Convertible 2-Door 3.0L 2972CC 181Cu. In. V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated Hi Kerry,Yes it will definitely fit your 1990 Chrysler TC.Thanks,Dave

I'll let you know about the success story soon. Thanks again, Kerry.

I can't seem to remove the pressure control switch with the water pump pliers. I've all but destroyed it and it won't budge.  Any other suggestions on how to remove it? 

20190927_105527.thumb.jpg.86d7f329e8772cdeb7eead338ddabd8a.jpg

Well, I guess I got to ask you, "Just how big is your tool?" I'm not talking about some short 9 1/2" job. I've got one 16 1/2" that I use on tough jobs.

Guys, 🤣 we are talking about 'water-pump pliers' here!!!

The main point when you are working on some stubborn part, bolt or nut "HAVE NO MERCY!" If you want it to come off, MAKE IT!

The brakes are fixed and I’m on the road again.  They feel like they are back to new again.  FYI Hemi, the 4 warning lights started working again and all of them went off like they are supposed to; then as sudden as they worked they stopped again; hopefully they will come back on again, our good friend time will tell.  I have a question on the brake fluid level.  I pumped the brakes 25 times until it was hard with the ignition off and the level was at the full mark but when I took it for a drive as you can see in this photo the fluid level is up to the words "DO NOT".  Is this acceptable/correct?

4.thumb.jpg.15cd8dbda0f2298c7fd7e58bac733bb2.jpg

Not that I’m recommending this but this is how I got the old pressure control switch off.  I bought this random socket that I saw at AutoZone for around $30.  It's open on one side and for some reason it fit onto the pressure control switch perfect.  I put it on the pressure control switch with the cut out of the socket pointing up and then drilled a hole in the pressure control switch and put a screw in it because the socket wound up stripping the pressure control switch. My wife held a crow bar wedged in next to the accumulator post because the whole unit moves when you try to take it off.  I used an pipe over the top of the ratchet and it broke loose. 

1.thumb.jpg.0d22715246aa717b0db5fd141ae9fcce.jpg2.thumb.jpg.c5c7aaab67cea3fc6517a0abe293440c.jpg3.thumb.jpg.d0ba4dc0fad5392dd59055684da7e672.jpg

1 hour ago, TC KER said:

The brakes are fixed and I’m on the road again.  They feel like they are back to new again.  FYI Hemi, the 4 warning lights started working again and all of them went off like they are supposed to; then as sudden as they worked they stopped again; hopefully they will come back on again, our good friend time will tell.  I have a question on the brake fluid level.  I pumped the brakes 25 times until it was hard with the ignition off and the level was at the full mark but when I took it for a drive as you can see in this photo the fluid level is up to the words "DO NOT".  Is this acceptable/correct?

Not that I’m recommending this but this is how I got the old pressure control switch off.  I bought this random socket that I saw at AutoZone for around $30.  It's open on one side and for some reason it fit onto the pressure control switch perfect.  I put it on the pressure control switch with the cut out of the socket pointing up and then drilled a hole in the pressure control switch and put a screw in it because the socket wound up stripping the pressure control switch. My wife held a crow bar wedged in next to the accumulator post because the whole unit moves when you try to take it off.  I used an pipe over the top of the ratchet and it broke loose. 

3.thumb.jpg.d0ba4dc0fad5392dd59055684da7e672.jpg

As I suggested, "HAVE NO MERCY!" You got it off and a new one on. Congratulations!!!  

In your question, you mean that the level has fallen from the FULL arrow, down to the DO NOT area on the reservoir. THAT IS NORMAL when the system is pressured up.

• Thanks 1

It's nice to have her up and running like normal again. Hopefully this journey to track down a bad pressure control switch can help someone in the future.  Hemi, I'll look you up next time I'm in your area and let know when you're near Indio.  Thanks to all who contributed. 

5.thumb.jpg.8cdc4360c965312cfec1602ec8a6de9c.jpg

• Thanks 1