1990 engine in 1991 TC

HIBrown

I just had the coil on my '91 TC replaced.  In the process, we discovered that we needed to replace a relay, timing belt, drive belt and A/C belts.  What we found, was that all of the belts we got for the '91 engine (6 cylinder automatic) did not work.  They were either too wide or grooved incorrectly.  As it happened we then tried the same parts for a '90 engine and they all were correct.  The pink slip says 1991 and I believe that the VIN is correct for a '91.  My question:  Is this unusual??

Also, as an aside, I am wondering if, in general, are the speedometers on these cars off about 5 mph at 45 or 50 mph?  

Thank you:  

Howard

13 hours ago, HIBrown said:

I just had the coil on my '91 TC replaced.  In the process, we discovered that we needed to replace a relay, timing belt, drive belt and A/C belts.  What we found, was that all of the belts we got for the '91 engine (6 cylinder automatic) did not work.  They were either too wide or grooved incorrectly.  As it happened we then tried the same parts for a '90 engine and they all were correct.  The pink slip says 1991 and I believe that the VIN is correct for a '91.  My question:  Is this unusual??

Also, as an aside, I am wondering if, in general, are the speedometers on these cars off about 5 mph at 45 or 50 mph?  

Thank you:  

Howard

ALL 1991 TCs were built before April 1990, therefore all 3.0L engines in the TC are the same. Generally the speedometers are within 2-3 MPH of actual speed, unless you have changed tire size from original.

When I bought the car about 5 years ago, I had to send the works off to have the odometer repaired.  Could I have screwed up the the speedometer while reinstalling it all back into the dash?

also, Hemidude thanks fo the info!!

14 hours ago, HIBrown said:

When I bought the car about 5 years ago, I had to send the works off to have the odometer repaired.  Could I have screwed up the the speedometer while reinstalling it all back into the dash?

also, Hemidude thanks fo the info!!

No Howard, you did not mess up... Even speedometergears.com recommend removing the needle, gaining access to the gears more easily, however, I do the repair without removing the needle thereby avoiding any speed indication error.